Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACalifornian View Post
I've lived in and around the San Fernando Valley all my life and, when I saw a breathtaking photo of Death Valley at night (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ky_nps_big.jpg), I became interested in trekking out to the boondocks to see the stars. I've seen some very pretty photos of Los Padres at night, so I thought it'd make a pretty good locale for stargazing. I'll try heading out to the Pyramid Lake area, is that a suitable area? Here are some shots of the forest at night, how would the views near Pyramid Lake compare? _DSC6566.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing! 2012 Perseid Meteor Shower | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Stargazing around Los Padres? Follow the Ventura County Astronomical Society star parties (or at least their locations)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
There are quite a few amateur star gazers that meet at the Mt. Pinos campground parking lot in Los Padres. They've been doing it for years so it must be a good area. Another good area, in the opposite direction, is Joshua Tree National Park.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
There are quite a few amateur star gazers that meet at the Mt. Pinos campground parking lot in Los Padres. They've been doing it for years so it must be a good area. Another good area, in the opposite direction, is Joshua Tree National Park.
Elevation, low ambient light, wear a jacket, a good place.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Lockwood Road is paved and plowed and not much snow if any that low yet, will be pleasantly cool.

Hungry Valley is not a pleasant place to camp unless you are part of the beer and gasoline crowd. Pine Springs is very quiet, last time I was there I was alone, in June, except for the CHP and his girlfriend who came in in his patrol car and made whoopie..... I kid you not. They did not see me as my bike was tucked away and I had no tent.

1200RT, that area is a great place to wander. Reyes Creek Bar and Grill is not the hangout of limp wristed liberals, except for me of course, according to another poster..
Subfreezing weather warning last night and tonight. I live in Casitas Springs and this morning we woke up to frozen water puddles for the first time this year. The drive through Los Padres always mean a major temperature drop due to the increased elevation.

For the OP, you can also get a motel room in Oakview or Ojai, and the drive to stargaze in Los Padres is only 1/2 hour from a warm room and decent food, if you'd rather drive up the 101 (to the 33.)

Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Subfreezing weather warning last night and tonight. I live in Casitas Springs and this morning we woke up to frozen water puddles for the first time this year. The drive through Los Padres always mean a major temperature drop due to the increased elevation.
as I said, pleasantly cool. No bugs, crisp clear air, great for photo taking, and breathing.
Lebec 3800 feet
Lockwood Valley 5,000
Camp Scheideck 4,000
Reyes Summit 4,800

32 right now in Arroyo Grande on the coast
29 in Lebec

After 40 years of walking out to my car in the morning in single digit temps in winter, 20's and 30's are pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California