Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 PM

10 posts, read 32,975 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your input, much appreciated. You all have helped me to make my decision a little easier, and taking everything into account we probably will not be moving to Humboldt. It sounds as if the lifestyle up there is not what we are looking for, however I would love to visit one day. I'll probably end up going to Chico, Sonoma or UCD, if accepted.
Cheers and have a safe and wonderful New Years. I hope all your wishes come true! May happiness and peace fill your lives. Mason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
I was born and raised in Humboldt County, back when lumber ruled. Companies farmed trees, the way that farmers farm corn. You plant it, wait till time to harvest, cut it, and prepare for the next growing cycle. The people working in the lumber industry, did very well and earned good livings.

Then some city environmentalists went to the area, and hated the looks of things when the trees were harvested. They used law suit after law suit to get logging stopped. The would find some small bug, claim it was endangered, and stop logging. College students went up there and sat in trees, so they could not cut them. They drove spikes into trees, so that if you cut one it would break a chain saw and severely injure or kill to operator. They effectively shut down the entire lumber industry. Suddenly there was no work, and people were about starving. Humboldt county poverty rate is very high.

Poverty by Race/Ethnicity: Humboldt County | California Center for Rural Policy

It is much worse than that, using the new measure of poverty issued by U.S. government. Poverty rate throughout California is now over 23%. It is as much as twice that in Humboldt, with some towns near 50% to 100% poverty rate.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,998,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
...shut down the entire lumber industry. Suddenly there was no work, and people were about starving. Humboldt county poverty rate is very high. Poverty rate throughout California is now over 23%. It is as much as twice that in Humboldt, with some towns near 50% to 100% poverty rate.
Yes, these major changes affected locals greatly. With few options, marijuana growing beckoned. Don't blame them a bit.

The poverty statistics you linked to, however, represent legal income. The links below estimate that as much as 50% of Humboldt's actual dollars come from the marijuana industry, as much as 2 billion per year. Humboldt's official budget is only 4 billion per year. Therefore, there is quite a bit of hidden money in the underground economy, greatly reducing poverty for at least half of the citizens, potentially.

Humboldt: How Much Money Comes from Pot | Lost Coast Outpost | Humboldt County

Humboldt County News - How Much Money Do Pot Growers Make?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 PM

8,201 posts, read 16,631,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Yes, these major changes affected locals greatly. With few options, marijuana growing beckoned. Don't blame them a bit.

The poverty statistics you linked to, however, represent legal income. The links below estimate that as much as 50% of Humboldt's actual dollars come from the marijuana industry, as much as 2 billion per year. Humboldt's official budget is only 4 billion per year. Therefore, there is quite a bit of hidden money in the underground economy, greatly reducing poverty for at least half of the citizens, potentially.

Humboldt: How Much Money Comes from Pot | Lost Coast Outpost | Humboldt County

Humboldt County News - How Much Money Do Pot Growers Make?
I wonder how much of this will change if/when California legalizes its wide spread usage? With more legal growth occuring for 'medicinal' purposes it sounds like prices and potential profits are already dropping. More legalization and commerical growth would seem to shut down many of the small and medium sized growers and cartel profits as well. What next then, meth, crack, etc... or something else to prop up the ailing economy? I am sure this same question is being asked at all levels of society as the pot trade is such a major driver of the economy. First the lumber trade is greatly reduced, then pot diminishes, then what..?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,143,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I wonder how much of this will change if/when California legalizes its wide spread usage? With more legal growth occuring for 'medicinal' purposes it sounds like prices and potential profits are already dropping. More legalization and commerical growth would seem to shut down many of the small and medium sized growers and cartel profits as well. What next then, meth, crack, etc... or something else to prop up the ailing economy? I am sure this same question is being asked at all levels of society as the pot trade is such a major driver of the economy. First the lumber trade is greatly reduced, then pot diminishes, then what..?
Yep indeed the question.. What next..?

The outdoor pot industry has been failing for some years now, indoor growing of high potency pot in urban areas has made the classic outdoor Emerald Triangle grower a relic for the history books.

Sure would be nice to push the vagrants and meth heads out....Fort Bragg's new Police Chief has been doing a good job.. I get the feeling the tight knit north coast communities will not accept some new drug to replace pot.... The likes of Meth destroy people and communities.... The north coast communities have fought too hard and too long to survive to commit suicide.

Maybe "ecco-pot" tourism to go along with whale watching and Redwoods, though Colorado and Washington have a headstart on that one...

Tourism, pot, timber, fishing... Yep, gotta balance them all.

-------------------------------------

OP,
Only you can answer your concerns.... Plenty of safe communities.... A safe wonderful place to raise a family, with tight knit communities.... The vagrants mostly commit crime on each other... This would not be my worry for you.... I am more concerned how you will do with the "independent" rural mindset that prevails.... "hippy dippy" kids are not the concern you should focus on either it is just superficial... Part of the live and let live, mind your own dam business mindset!

Go with your family and do your regular routine of life for a few days, see if anything alarms you when you do that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California