Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I donno cars are a bad example, heck my truck gets the same crappy mileage know as my truck in 1990 did... ZERO improvement, maybe even went backwards...
The rest of the world they have clean diesel trucks that get 50mpg... Heck I traded out my 99 1500 with 15mpg for a tiny little 4 banger 2007 ranger and I only get 24mpg at best... Any where else in the world I could have a TDI in that same Ford Ranger truck and get 50mpg.

Sorry for being so.. jerk like... on my last post, just that China more innovative than us... gets under my patriotic skin...

I see no profit motive without the regulation to drive it.... What Joe blow that is hacking up a lung going to sue some Trillion dollar multinational polluting his air??? Ya right... Us little guys got no power against those giants with legions of lawyers.... I just don't understand... The government is OURS to protect US from the big multinationals...
Dont get it how it got twisted for some of you and the government is the bad guy.... Sure it needs cleaning up those rotten politicians seeking power and all.... But the mechanism of government is the only protection we little guys have!
Turbo Diesels in Europe emit more sulfur from the fuel they sell, which is why we don't see them here. The diesel regulations are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
This article doesn't tell the entire story. The State of CA and the EPA made funding available for the Diesel Particulate Filter's (that's the technical name of the "soot filters") for a couple of years now even to private companies and individuals. It simply had to be applied for This isn't any surprise, the trucking industry has been aware of it and making the retrofits for the past two years. Any truck built during or after 2007 came with them.

The Times didn't fact check or just wanted to sensationalize the story, and you all bought into it. Sad on both accounts.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
No, they won't, handling cargo is far more expensive than hauling it.

Not sure why ya'll are jumping up and down over truck pollution regs. CARB dictated new tractor engines in agriculture a number of years ago. Do a little research, learn that story, and the denouement. Trucking will follow essentially the same furrow.
It already is if you are up on what's going on behind the scenes.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If this ends up keeping smog-spewing Mexican trucks off California roads, so much the better.
Is there ANYTHING we won't blame Mexicans for?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
The new added cost to haul freight through California by truck, will sure start ships going to Oregon, Washington, and Mexico to unload their cargo where it is cheaper for trucks to haul the cargo.

Potential Beneficiary-----Coos Bay Oregon, has been looking for such a potential boost for them to happen. They have been improving things, and improving the rail road out of that area. This change in costs to move freight from the port can be the thing to make things happen. They have a large bay, a strong available work force, and will put in what ever new port facilities needed.

Add in the lower cost of operating in Oregon (why a lot of companies are moving there from California), as well as the new higher cost to move freight, and the potential to move port traffic from California to Oregon is looking up.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
I think that is a great idea there OldTrader, Coos Bay. It should be easy to relocate the 16,000 people that work at the Port of Los Angeles to Coos Bay. That would more than double the size of the town immediately and should be an easy task to accomplish.

Coos Bays 7 deep draft berths compare favorably to the Port of Los Angeles 209 +

The single rail line leading to Coos Bay should provide stiff competition to the mere 5 separate rail lines and rail yards at Port of Los Angeles.

The 84 miles of mountain two lane road leading to the nearest Interstate should not be a problem for truckers.

and giving up the 35 million person market of CA for the 3.5 million person market of Oregon will make life much easier for everyone who handles the cargo.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I'm pretty sure Coos Bay will be will be able to provide the equivalent of the massive Colton rail facility as well as the transportation logistics/distribution hub that is represented by the Inland Empire and its vast tracts of DC warehousing and the 7 interstates that serve them.

Not to mention upgrading Coos Bay Regional Airport to international airport status to take the place of LAX, SBD and ONT and their cargo handling. Then there are the repair and service facilities provided by Southern California Logistics Airport in Victorville.

Yep, Coos Bay is the smart choice!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I used to drive the bus in Seattle, Washington. When I first started driving the older diesel buses in 1991......oh my, the filth those things put out was insane. The newer buses......night and day difference.

I think what Ca is doing is a good thing. But I think that a longer phase in period....with no grandfathering of older vehicles, would ease economic impact some. Take all of the new equipment requirements and spread the mandatory implementation over 3-5 years.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I think that is a great idea there OldTrader, Coos Bay. It should be easy to relocate the 16,000 people that work at the Port of Los Angeles to Coos Bay. That would more than double the size of the town immediately and should be an easy task to accomplish.

Coos Bays 7 deep draft berths compare favorably to the Port of Los Angeles 209 +

The single rail line leading to Coos Bay should provide stiff competition to the mere 5 separate rail lines and rail yards at Port of Los Angeles.

The 84 miles of mountain two lane road leading to the nearest Interstate should not be a problem for truckers.

and giving up the 35 million person market of CA for the 3.5 million person market of Oregon will make life much easier for everyone who handles the cargo.
Well, American education is horrible when it comes to geography, so we shouldn't expect that there are those out there that think all you need is a bit lower tax rate, and boom you can recreate an economy anywhere on planet earth.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:57 AM

444 posts, read 665,464 times
This is the same thing as when CA first introduced smog emission standards decades ago. It didn't hurt the economy at all but it did create an entirely new industry which not only forced us to innovate and move forward, it cleaned up our environment. A win-win.

California: Leading the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California