Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 AM

409 posts, read 957,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Brown already declared 2013 "the year of fiscal discipline and living within our means."

That should be every year.
Amen to that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Hi, independent here. More of Jerry Brown's new math. The guy who once proclaimed that he wouldn't resort to accounting tricks in his budget has done precisely that. The article itself even points out the new spending yet to take place and where does this money come from in the budget? Yep you guessed it, on revenues that haven't been collected yet!

Even after prop 30 CA still faces a $1 billion shortfall in tax revenue. Brown hasn't balanced anything.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Yep you guessed it, on revenues that haven't been collected yet!
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's how budgets work. You have to PROJECTED income and PROJECTED spending because those things haven't happened yet. There may be some good reasons to guess that the projections are incorrect (they have been in the past, e.g.), however.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Mason View Post
It took a Democratic Governor to balance the budget. Say what you want about Democrats, but you can't say that they didn't make a great deal of cuts to the budget to services, many of which Republicans in the legislature opposed.
Ah, the irony. People tend to blame the fiscal mess of the state on the public employee unions. They conveniently seem to forget that it's that same Democratic Governor who sold the state to those unions in the first place. But I give him some credit for mucking-out his own stall this time around.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's how budgets work. You have to PROJECTED income and PROJECTED spending because those things haven't happened yet. There may be some good reasons to guess that the projections are incorrect (they have been in the past, e.g.), however.
This is also the trouble with baseline budgeting. You can fudge up the numbers to tell any story you like.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I can hear you cons rolling your eyes already...

Jerry Brown: California's deficit is gone - SFGate
I guess you libs believe everything you read...

Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ah, the irony. People tend to blame the fiscal mess of the state on the public employee unions. They conveniently seem to forget that it's that same Democratic Governor who sold the state to those unions in the first place. But I give him some credit for mucking-out his own stall this time around.
Wonder if the Unions get a seat at his table when the budget is discussed and of course veto power if they aren't happy.That will tell us a lot.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Does anyone know if the state will be reopening some of the state parks and state park services they closed down the last couple of years?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Revenue projections are usually wrong, and the history books have always shown that raising taxes NEVER results in an increase in revenues as our clueless President will also discover at the end of this year.

California is still broke, regardless of what the liberal press is gushing about.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
I'm optimistic about a lot of things about California's future. Governance and electorate aren't two of those things.

Broke is broke IS BROKE, folks! California's broke, plain and simple! We ain't got no money, to put it so eloquently. We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem, and that is why I voted against every single tax increase, local and state, on the Nov. 2012 ballot. If I can live in the Bay Area on $1300/mo. for months on end, the State can cut educational aid to illegal immigrants and reduce welfare eligibility, two great starts!

Liberals have a lot of great, well-meaning ideas, but the proposals and implementations thereof are often idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California