Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 PM

29 posts, read 60,458 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Today I joined WWOOF and curious if anyone else uses the program. It sounds great and I'm hoping to find a farm in CA by February. Though after checking out the forums, it's may be a while finding a place being California has high demand. I'm also considering applying for internships/apprenticeships though my resume isn't impressive. Also want to learn the basics first along with the option of traveling elsewhere so I'm starting with wwoof.

I'm just curious of other's experiences living on a farm.

Did you enjoy it? Learn skills/valuable information living a sustainability life? Did you feel isolated? Meet genuine people? How long did the process take? Any helpful tips?

Cheers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyfire2012 View Post
Hi there. Today I joined WWOOF and curious if anyone else uses the program. It sounds great and I'm hoping to find a farm in CA by February. Though after checking out the forums, it's may be a while finding a place being California has high demand. I'm also considering applying for internships/apprenticeships though my resume isn't impressive. Also want to learn the basics first along with the option of traveling elsewhere so I'm starting with wwoof.

Did you enjoy it? Learn skills/valuable information living a sustainability life? Did you feel isolated? Meet genuine people? How long did the process take? Any helpful tips?

Cheers

Well, my dads experience farming and baling hay convinced him he wanted to go to college.

If you want to farm go for it I say.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
I know a fellow locally who had an organic farm and hosted interns and WWOOF, he went out of business. If your desire is to farm, go to Cal Poly, learn ag science. Remember that what you want to grow has little to do with farming. What the market wants, and when it wants it is, is what is important.

A minor factoid, last time I checked, if all farms in our country switched to organic, we would produce about 10% of the food we produce today.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I know a fellow locally who had an organic farm and hosted interns and WWOOF, he went out of business. If your desire is to farm, go to Cal Poly, learn ag science. Remember that what you want to grow has little to do with farming. What the market wants, and when it wants it is, is what is important.

A minor factoid, last time I checked, if all farms in our country switched to organic, we would produce about 10% of the food we produce today.
Interesting stat. That seems awfully low. Either way, perhaps that's a good thing. (Here come the tomatoes.)

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:

But that 10% would be awfully good. Maybe we would have to move the monocrop junkies to Canada.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
But that 10% would be awfully good. Maybe we would have to move the monocrop junkies to Canada.
Crops are grown where they are grown because of the climate, as climate change continues we may be growing oranges in Alberta. In the meantime, "monocrop junkies" is an easy to say, but if you eat anything grown you are in large part eating monocrop products.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyfire2012 View Post

Cheers

I'd highly recommend WWOOFing based on my son's experience for a year in the program in New Zealand. He is not a college grad but is streetsmart. He had a great time, worked hard, and learned many skills. He did everything to planting and harvesting to building a small barn, etc. He met many great host families. You can see wwoofers' blogs on the WWOOFing website.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
In the meantime, "monocrop junkies" is an easy to say, but if you eat anything grown you are in large part eating monocrop products.
Maybe, but not from my garden, nor those that the participants in our day programs are growing. More people should.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Maybe, but not from my garden, nor those that the participants in our day programs are growing. More people should.
Yes they should, and everyone should live on 5 acres and be self sufficient as Jefferson promoted, but, that is not workable in the America of today.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times
Ah the myth "organic food can't feed us".... it's a good one. If you do your research you'll see how false that it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California