Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times

Advertisements

Along with everything TVC recommended above, you can fire the current physician and either demand transfer to another facility or get a second opinion from a surgeon who visits where he is now, but is not part of the same group of physicians (it depends on the set-up of the hospital).
I personally wouldn't waste more time and money with this doctor who by all appearances sounds incompetent. I've seen patients who were nearly killed by quacks get fixed by a second surgeon and walk out of the hospital on their own two feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Watch out. Unless you have clear evidence of actual malpractice, a doctor can sue YOU.

Look here:
Clinicians sue patient for malicious prosecution in malpractice suit - The Clinical Advisor

Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM

249 posts, read 392,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Ok, heres a little more info.

Gallbladder surgery on 12/24, released on 12/25. We took him back on 12/26, he got pneumonia for the first time ever. He wasn't prescribed antibiotics for the surgery. He was released again on 1/3 even though he wasn't completely over the pneumonia. We took him back again on 1/7 because he was still in severe pain fro the surgery and he wasn't over the pneumonia.

He was suppose to have a stent put to stop leakage yesterday. The doctor had a emergency call at a diff hospital and it was done today. However, the "leakage" wasn't there and they just cleared things up. They did 4 different series of cat scans, xrays, etc. and still got that wrong. So they've said everything should be good now but I don't believe them at all.

It took 3 months to get the damn surgery set and it was either 12/24 or 1/3. Since it took so long to get it, we decided to take it earlier. Plus, we would be home more due to the holidays to help him out. it's been a complete mess, never thought this would happen from gallbladder surgery.

I'm not sure if I should make complaints now or wait til he gets out. Not sure if that's the way to go or speak with an attorney. My dad's been in pain for almost a straight month now.

Oh boy,
where to start... First of all antibiotics after the first 24 hrs ( usually 1 dose of antibiotics started within 1 hour of surgery and then 2 additional doses at about 8 hr intervals for a total of 3 doses ) are not indicated for elective gallbladder surgery. Have you talked to the surgeon or the Quality Improvement folks at the Hospital? I would talk to the surgeon and Quality Improvement department before I would talk to an attorney or report the physician to the state board. Just realize that when you decide to head down the " I'm going to sue you " path everyone is going to clam up real quick for self protection. It's human nature.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Short story, my dad has been in and out of the same hospital since the 24th. They've dropped the ball with a few things early on and now he was suppose to have surgery today at 530 pm and as of now at 811 pm, nothing. They didnt even tell us why...nothing.

I'm so damn pissed off. I fed up with this place but I dont know what to do. If I could switch hospitals, I would but I can't.
whose fault really is it with the surgery? Did the doctor fail to show up? I would talk to your father's personal doctor and find out what's going on. Your own doctor is actually the best patient advocate, the ones hired by the hospital of course are just employees of the hospital and work in it's behalf, not the patient's.

Really the patient's personal doctor is the one who can raise hell and make things happen, because the hospitals don't want them to stop admitting patients.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
Just realize that when you decide to head down the " I'm going to sue you " path everyone is going to clam up real quick for self protection. It's human nature.
The default is "clammed up" as far as a potential malpractice suit is concerned generally.

They just aren't going to say they screwed up the surgery. They will say there are risks involved with every surgery to protect themselves.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
So after a million xray scans, they still can't find the leak but there is definitely a leak. He's still sick and they tried to do a basic scope search and couldn't find where it seems like. They might need to do a more throughout search which would require to open him up again.

We want to switch hospitals. They've done CT, MRI, ultrasound, etc about 5 different tests a day and still can't find the leak. It's beyond BS and I'm tired of it. We're gonna call his insurance to see if we are allowed to switch.

We're not going to pursue any legal means until my dad is home and healthy. We've already obtained copies of the records and film.

I read the morality rate for this surgery is 1/200, .5%. I mean, this wasn't an extremely serious surgery. Now its been a month and the doctors are clueless.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
So after a million xray scans, they still can't find the leak but there is definitely a leak. He's still sick and they tried to do a basic scope search and couldn't find where it seems like. They might need to do a more throughout search which would require to open him up again.

We want to switch hospitals. They've done CT, MRI, ultrasound, etc about 5 different tests a day and still can't find the leak. It's beyond BS and I'm tired of it. We're gonna call his insurance to see if we are allowed to switch.

We're not going to pursue any legal means until my dad is home and healthy. We've already obtained copies of the records and film.

I read the morality rate for this surgery is 1/200, .5%. I mean, this wasn't an extremely serious surgery. Now its been a month and the doctors are clueless.
Sorry that you and your dad are having to deal with this. Yes there are very incompetent doctors everywhere

You should ask your insurance company for a referral for the best doctor to handle your dad's situation.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California