Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Before you act on anyone's sugestions you need to clear your own decks, get rid of these attitudes and start thinking positiely. Stinkin' thinkin' is just holding you back.

While the idea of moving to another state where you have no one and know nobody may seem daunting to you right now, if you think about it as a grand adventure and challenge and you lead with a smile, you might just enjoy it. I've done so on a number of occasions and it's been fun. Try it. You might like it.
Give the guy a break. It is easy to generate "stinkin thinkin" habits when your dream becomes a nightmare in a foreign land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Give the guy a break. It is easy to generate "stinkin thinkin" habits when your dream becomes a nightmare in a foreign land.
Of course it is. But ya don't have to!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I think folks we have been had, there are no poor Armenians, they all work hard, and do well, even that takes multiple jobs.
Yep. The OP is lucky to be a part of such a wealthy, successful community -- someone coming from Peru or Cambodia or even Mississippi, whose last name doesn't end in -ian, doesn't have that built-in advantage.

Read the Armenian newspapers for help-wanted listings. Go around Armenian shops and ask who's hiring. Or just ask how they became successful -- chances are they started out at the bottom, just like you.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Fun to watch folks continue to buy into this tale of woe ...
Anyone else here ever notice how well various immigrant groups take care of each others' transitions to America? You know, through sponsorships and referrals ... anyone see any strengths to such scenario within the Armenian community? No? Well then, let's have the next round of "woe is me, the poor Armenian with immaculate English skills."

Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
Its after the fact, but its unfortunate that your family chose an ethnic enclave like Glendale. I know there's the temptation to want to go where other Armenians are, but the job market in Southern California is very tight and highly competitive. The unemployment rate is considerably lower in some states (Iowa, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming, Washington DC, Maryland, Massachusetts, Virginia, Hawaii).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
California is not a good place to find a job today unless you a have at least Masters in Computer Science.

But it's a big country. You could try Texas, North Carolina or one of the other right to work States.
North Carolina's unemployment rate is 9.2%. "Right to work" doesn't necessarily equate ease of finding a job.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest555 View Post
I can't help me not saying this. Are you crazy? I'm not whining, I'm just looking for a solution to my problem. I want to improve my life and I smart enough to do so, I just was expecting a good advice, but not a contempt from you
Why not talk to colleges and see if you can use your education towards a degree?

How old are you? Maybe apply to the state department. Considering your knowledge of languages, it may work in your favor.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM

92 posts, read 201,328 times
Have you tried applying at fast food restaurants, grocery stores, starbucks, Walmart etc... in Glendale? Work at least part-time and at the same time look for a job that you really like (and yes, it could take days or realistically, years).

As someone mentioned, enlist in the U.S. Military or maybe, join the CIA or the Peace Corps....if 'flippin burgers' doesn't satisfy you.

Also, if you are a nice looking female, might want to try 'dancing' in a club. They make good $$$ plus you get your daily workout. Most Armenians (females) I've met are fine looking.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Hi OP, I haven't read through the whole thread, so maybe it is double posting:

When I came to the US, I couldn't find a job either. I worked underpaid crappy jobs but it built up my resume and turned out to be the right choice to do. Nobody wants to hire you if you don't have prior US working experience. So take what you can get to build your "credit". Then, on the side, you can volunteer/intern somewhere where you would LIKE to work. Even if it is a short time and unpaid, it makes a difference to be able to state a reputable firm in your resume.

Also have your resume checked professionally! I just assumed, that the German way of creating a resume is accepted throughout the world. WRONG! I was totally off with my resume with my parents names on it, my picture, etc.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Hi OP, I haven't read through the whole thread, so maybe it is double posting:

When I came to the US, I couldn't find a job either. I worked underpaid crappy jobs but it built up my resume and it turned out to be the right choice to do. Nobody wants to hire you if you don't have prior US working experience. So take what you can get to build your "credit". Then, on the side, you can volunteer/intern somewhere where you would LIKE to work. Even if it is a short time and unpaid, it makes a difference to be able to state a reputable firm in your resume.

Also have your resume checked professionally! I just assumed, that the German way of creating a resume is accepted throughout the world. WRONG! I was totally off with my resume with my parents names on it, my picture, etc.[/quote]

Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM

17 posts, read 23,658 times
As couple folks have already stated, JOIN THE MILITARY. The deployment tempo has slowed down significantly and pay is not that bad either, especially compared to some years ago. So long as we don't have another significant foreign crisis where full deployment is necessary, you would be stateside or in a friendly foreign base. Plus you can send your money to your folks back home while you get job skills. It's WIN-WIN. Otherwise, have fun flipping burgers for many years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California