Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,892,422 times

Advertisements

As we wend our ways toward the end of yet another profound day on the California forum, I think it appropriate to pay homage to Don9 who on his return to our critically vital and influential on-line community has brought a word that shall forever remain enshrined in both forum and California history. I refer, of course, to the great word "pulchritudinous" ... a word which few here knew before today, and those who did had probably never found occasion to use in a sentence ... and above all, a word which so exquisitely describes the great state of California.

While Don9 used the word to describe fishing in his new found homeland of Tennessee, we can here immediately realize its value in describing the great Golden Bear: California.

Pulchritudinousity of mountains and shorelines ... deltas and deserts ... glittering cities and friendly hamlets and towns ... 840 miles long ... 163,707 square miles of pulchritude.

What do you readers find most pulchritudinous about California? The redwoods? Death Valley? The Mendocino coast? The extraordinary pot grown in Humboldt County? Share ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,079 times
Oh the jocularity and hilarity of the CA forums. Thanks to Don for enlivening the day somewhat. Brother you said a mouthful.

With that said:

I am not as well traveled as Highnlite but my favorite little campground is Eshom Creek Campground on the outskirts of Kings Canyon. We'd go camping with family and my great-aunt would take her horses. We could also follow the little creek down about a mile to a pretty little waterfall. There were several deep pools along the length of the creek that were perfect for diving off rocks and swimming.

Been years since I've been up there, but it's a great place to go camping.

Last edited by Senno; 01-24-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,011 times
Darn tooting big word for a farmer/woodworker...

Discovering a big Jade plant some where on the Big Sir coast as a child.

To breath thin and crisp high elevation air.

To touch snow in July, when you were hot just an few hours before..

Jasmine wafting on the nights air..

A banana slug in an ancient Redwood forest..

A winter storm on the the north coast... Power of water... Waves crashing on the shore, rain coming down in sheets and rushing back to the sea..Small and helpless, clinging to the thin edge of existence....

The never ending cycle of nature..

A place where a romantic can find endless inspirations in the minutia of the mundane natural world..

Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Pulchritudinous is so sesquipedalian.

To me, the natural beauty of CA is found in the wonder of its natural elements in proximity to another. Death Valley bring next to Mt. Whitney, next to the Sequoias, next to Mono Lake, next to Bristlecone, next to Bishop Creek, next to Yosemite, next to Tahoe… A true appreciation of natural California demands one to appreciate variety and context. This is reflected in the local sociology; those Californians generally intolerant of ambiguity and who cling to black & white worldviews are often the most disaffected.

Having said that, if I had to pick one: Big Sur.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
To me, the natural beauty of CA is found in the wonder of its natural elements in proximity to another. Death Valley bring next to Mt. Whitney, next to the Sequoias, next to Mono Lake, next to Bristlecone, next to Bishop Creek, next to Yosemite, next to Tahoe…
Next to King Clone.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Next to King Clone.
Next to Abe Vigoda.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,145 times
Its really most appropriate when describing the physical beauty or handsomeness of a person.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Miss McGillicuddy in da house.

(some of you might not get that reference)

Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Its really most appropriate when describing the physical beauty or handsomeness of a person.
Which kinda leaves out Abe Vigoda.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Pulchritudinous is so sesquipedalian.

To me, the natural beauty of CA is found in the wonder of its natural elements in proximity to another. Death Valley bring next to Mt. Whitney, next to the Sequoias, next to Mono Lake, next to Bristlecone, next to Bishop Creek, next to Yosemite, next to Tahoe… A true appreciation of natural California demands one to appreciate variety and context. This is reflected in the local sociology; those Californians generally intolerant of ambiguity and who cling to black & white worldviews are often the most disaffected.

Having said that, if I had to pick one: Big Sur.
California is a pulchritudinous place where I lived my first life enjoying it's beauty and challenges. Now I turn a page and start a new beginning. Tennessee is also a pulchritudinous place with new adventures and discoveries to keep our next life thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California