Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 AM

41 posts, read 88,552 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to become a COTA (OT Assistant) and/or RN in the near future. What cities are best for gaining employment in the healthcare field?? I'm also a veteran with the Army Guard if that helps. Just looking into some insight on how the job market is in California. I know everywhere its hard to gain employment especially in California. Any experiences from others is greatly appreciated also. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,134,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
I'm looking to become a COTA (OT Assistant) and/or RN in the near future. What cities are best for gaining employment in the healthcare field?? I'm also a veteran with the Army Guard if that helps. Just looking into some insight on how the job market is in California. I know everywhere its hard to gain employment especially in California. Any experiences from others is greatly appreciated also. Thanks
IMO, Get experience in a less competitive state first. Move after you are in the field you want to be in.

If not, IMO, look away from the coast! If not be prepared to burn some money, working as an intern, or flipping burgers while job hunting on the coast..... Learn Spanish too, if you do not know it already... Bi-lingual helps.. Look up the VA hospitals, look at job listings, call and talk to hospital HR departments...

Job market is tough very competitive fight for jobs, especially in desirable coastal communities.. Entry level is even more difficult..

Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
IMO, Get experience in a less competitive state first. Move after you are in the field you want to be in.
That's the best advice, and part of my personal plan. The best way to see what's available at any given time is to search on the websites of hospital systems like Kaiser, Sutter Health, the VA, etc.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,134,524 times
Yep
Sounds like a good plan.. Don't hesitate calling and talking to HR departments too... I have done so for my spouse... Find they can be real helpful and tell you what they want... So you can build your CV accordingly..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,630,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
Check the median salary for your prospective field against the median income level for your desired location, because you might be in for a shock.

Add in the cost of a home/general cost of living, and we may be talking heart attack city if you aim for certain coastal areas.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
If you can get a job with the VA, you can then transfer to a job in CA without losing any accrued benefits.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,672,432 times
Here in Fresno we have the only Level 1 trauma center between LA and Sacto at Fresno Community. It's also a UCSF teaching hospital.

UCSF Fresno | Family and Community Medicine

We also have a nursing shortage as Fresno State isn't pumping out enough RN's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: