Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM

43 posts, read 138,645 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please help me figure out what is becoming an increasingly stressful situation? To debrief, I posted back in September 2012 about my orders to NAS Lemoore (now scheduled to report in mid-April). I am having a tremendously difficult time finding housing that will accommodate me and my 42 pound elderly Weimaraner. The "pet-friendly" apartments in Hanford apparently are breed restricted (although I've never once heard of a Weimaraner restriction, but these are) or weight restricted to 35 pounds. Can anyone advise on any ideas as to what my options are? I can't bear to part with my fur baby. She's elderly and she's all I have. I would also like to live reasonably close to base (no hour commutes). Why is it that any rental house I am finding never includes basics like a fridge and a range? Is this typical for rentals in the area?

Otherwise, I have no other issues. Quiet, responsible mil officer with good credit, and never once late on rent x ten solid years of rental history.
Does anyone know of any decent housing/real estate entities that might be of assistance?

Any help is so appreciated. I'm worried. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,712,996 times
Have you looked in Fresno? It's not that far from Lemoore.

Not sure what's going on with Lemoore as to fridge/range. Everyplace I ever rented anywhere in CA always came with a fridge and a range...

BOQ not an option otherwise?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Umm, what's the navy people assigned to help ya find housing saying about all this?

Lemoore Navy - Housing Referral and Support Services - Naval Air Station Lemoore Housing

Quote:
Off-Base Housing Rental Partnership Program (RPP)
Housing Office has a list of apartments that participate in RPP (In Lemoore and Hanford)
Security deposit and credit check fee waived (member can’t be turned down for bad credit)
Active duty member is required to sign a 6 - 12 month lease (cannot break lease)
Payment to landlord by allotment
Can be on base housing waiting list while enrolled in RPP
It's kinda funny that the navy and I think alike when speaking about Fresno. LoL.

Quote:
In a short 2 hour drive, you can be at the beach to surf, swim or just relax. Or you can be in the mountains to ski, mountain climb or camp at Yosemite or Kings Canyon Sequoia National Parks.
It's 2 hours if you drive really, really fast with no traffic. But I don't fault the Navy for optimism.

Last edited by Senno; 01-29-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM

Well shoot DV, can you put your expanding dog on a diet and get under that 35 pound limit maybe?

I briefed myself by reviewing your earlier thread and it seems doggy was 37 pounds back then.

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...r-needing.html

Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
Hi Vicki:
I'm sorry to see the difficulty you are having with finding a rental for you and your doggie. I don't know anyone in Hanford or Lemoore and as Senno pointed out Fresno may be an option if necessity requires it.
I did a very quick search on Zillow.com for Hanford rentals and this is one of the places I saw:
River Oaks Apartments, 602D - Zillow
The posting says "pet friendly", military welcome etc. but I mainly wanted to provide the link as a tool to look around Hanford and Lemoore for rentals. Maybe worth calling the Property Management company to discuss and maybe they know (or have) of rentals that would be willing to allow a dog like yours.
Also, maybe get on the phone to the Hanford/Lemoore Chambers of Commerce and see if they can direct you - time to burn up those phone lines!
I saw a few houses on the Hanford Craigslist site that allowed animals, only problem is they are 3 bedroom so may be overkill and more than you want to pay; here's one example:
Beautiful Home in Great Neighborhood
Not having a range seems very unusual although the lack of a fridge (in a rental house anyway) isn't a surprise.
Good luck and if anything comes to mind I'll PM you.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 AM

43 posts, read 138,645 times
Sorry, folks. I just saw these kind responses. I would've responded sooner, but I never received email notifications of new postings. THANK YOU!

Senno, Fresno would be too far for the kind of hours (as a healthcare provider) that I'll work. Unfortunately, BOQ does NOT permit dogs. Oh, how I wish! I absolutely will contact the Base Housing Office (again), but they were slow to respond to my inital inquiries (back in late September..it took them a few weeks to return my call, and they hadn't any information). I definitely want to take the initiative to try to decipher my options, independently, first. Mil stuff is all new to me, by the way, so I appreciate any and all information about resources that are available to me, as a service member. Thank you.

Doggy cannot lose any more weight, unfortunately. She's actually supposed to be at LEAST 45 pounds (adult Weimaraner), but she's elderly and not in the best of health.

Social Democrat, thank you for your research. So nice of you! River Oaks, however, is also not an option, due to her weight. They claim "pet-friendliness", but only if your pet fits in a thimble and you have a trust fund to pay both a sizable deposit *AND* monthly "pet rent." ?? I understand ONE, but BOTH? $$$ At 37-39ish pounds, she's too big, anyway (and can't afford to lose any weight). I was disappointed to find this out, about both River Oaks and Edgewater Isles, both of whom are owned by the same entity (same policies).

I did find a couple of prospects on MilitaryByOwner, but same deal. Some don't have refrigerator (who lugs a refrigerator around, when they PCS to a different base?? Do people really do this??). In Hanford, one of the homes is located on North White St. (is this a bad area, to anyone's knowledge?). Another is on Burl, and another is in Lemoore on Oleander Ave.

What areas of Hanford/Lemoore are regarded to be of shadier reputation?
Thank you all for trying to help. I do greatly appreciate it. This is a massive learning curve for me, in all domains of this experience.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
Hi Vicki - I'm sorry this is turning out to be so difficult for you.
I haven't been to Hanford for a long time now but it seems like the northern part was the nicest - maybe Senno will check back in and advise a little more. I was in Lemoore just a few times so I really don't know it too well.
Have you tried calling some local realtors? That may be a long shot but worth a try unless you have already done so with negative results. Some of them are bound to handle rentals (or have homes for rent themselves) or know someone that does.
I wish I could be more helpful and will post again if anything else comes to mind.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
If you're trying to rent from a private landlord, have you considered offering MORE MONEY than asked for? This may be an incentive to them.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietitianVicky View Post
Sorry, folks. I just saw these kind responses. I would've responded sooner, but I never received email notifications of new postings. THANK YOU!

Senno, Fresno would be too far for the kind of hours (as a healthcare provider) that I'll work. Unfortunately, BOQ does NOT permit dogs. Oh, how I wish! I absolutely will contact the Base Housing Office (again), but they were slow to respond to my inital inquiries (back in late September..it took them a few weeks to return my call, and they hadn't any information). I definitely want to take the initiative to try to decipher my options, independently, first. Mil stuff is all new to me, by the way, so I appreciate any and all information about resources that are available to me, as a service member. Thank you.

Doggy cannot lose any more weight, unfortunately. She's actually supposed to be at LEAST 45 pounds (adult Weimaraner), but she's elderly and not in the best of health.

Social Democrat, thank you for your research. So nice of you! River Oaks, however, is also not an option, due to her weight. They claim "pet-friendliness", but only if your pet fits in a thimble and you have a trust fund to pay both a sizable deposit *AND* monthly "pet rent." ?? I understand ONE, but BOTH? $$$ At 37-39ish pounds, she's too big, anyway (and can't afford to lose any weight). I was disappointed to find this out, about both River Oaks and Edgewater Isles, both of whom are owned by the same entity (same policies).

I did find a couple of prospects on MilitaryByOwner, but same deal. Some don't have refrigerator (who lugs a refrigerator around, when they PCS to a different base?? Do people really do this??). In Hanford, one of the homes is located on North White St. (is this a bad area, to anyone's knowledge?). Another is on Burl, and another is in Lemoore on Oleander Ave.

What areas of Hanford/Lemoore are regarded to be of shadier reputation?
Thank you all for trying to help. I do greatly appreciate it. This is a massive learning curve for me, in all domains of this experience.
Do they stick dietitians on ships?

If so, do whatever you'd do with the dog if that happened and then live on base. Might be your best option at this point.

Or buy a used refrigerator and rent a house?

You went to the military, they didn't come to you, Ensign. Do we need to have a Chief assigned to lead ya by the hand?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Well, shoot. Citi-Data seems to be short of Chiefs, and all ya got is me taking an interest in ya.

I consulted with LtJG (retired; otherwise known as Dad), and he suggested ya suck it up and get rid of the dog.

But ya don't wanna do that.

So I then consulted rentals in Easton, which isn't quite in Fresno, but close enough for government work, and find nothing. Expanded search and still come up empty.

Ya might have to speak to your CO about the housing officers lack of response in Lemoore?

North White street in Hanford looks ok crime wise though. If they will rent to ya.

Hanford, CA Daily Crime Reports - 06/23/2012

Hanfords a nice little town. I could live there if I had a job down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California