Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the Canadian version of the EPA fell down on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Here is a picture of the Prius factory in Canada

Normally Canada is covered in trees, you can see that is not the case in this picture. The acid rain, from creating the batteries, has killed everything. NASA uses the area to test moon rovers
Is that for real???? Wow! That's terrible!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Is that for real???? Wow! That's terrible!
Kinda. The paper he got the info from second hand printed a retraction:

Emissions are down at the plant by 90%. And just looking at the photo he provided I don't see any dead trees. Just a rocky tundra not unlike southern Idaho. Where's the dead trees?

Quote:
It has come to our attention that a story originally published in the Mail on Sunday has apparently been misinterpreted by some of our readers.
In order to prevent further misinterpretation, we have removed the article from our website. The following letter was published in the Mail on Sunday on May 13, 2007:
Your article about the Inco nickel factory at Sudbury, Canada, wrongly implied that poisonous fumes from the factory had left the area looking like a lunar landscape because so many plants and trees had died. You also sought to blame Toyota because the nickel is used, among countless other purposes, for making the Prius hybrid car batteries.
In fact any damage occurred more than thirty years ago, long before the Prius was made. Since then, Inco has reduced sulphur dioxide emissions by more than 90 per cent and has helped to plant more than 11 million trees.
The company has won praise from the Ontario Ministry of Environment and environmental groups. Sudbury has won several conservation awards and is a centre for eco-tourism.
Toyota factory | Mail Online

I believe this is his source:

Toyota Factory turns landscape to arid wasteland - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

I am back on the Drive More Prius! bandwagon.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
At the Chevron Station by work. What is the excuse this time? The expected travel surge for Groundhog day? The Superbowl? It's Friday?
I would vote for Gov. Moonbeam and your fine state legislators.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post

Emissions are down at the plant by 90%. And just looking at the photo he provided I don't see any dead trees. Just a rocky tundra not unlike southern Idaho. Where's the dead trees?

Thank you for clearing that up. That would be pretty scary, were it true. I think scare-tactics works for the Internet. People all over the country, unable to actually see something for itself, must take the word of articles such as that for their information. Makes me wonder what other conspiracies are being passed off.

On another note, if State Legislator Noreen Evans (D), has her way, oil companies will see a tax imposed on extraction here in California. Bless her little heart, she is thinking it will increase revenue for colleges and universities and help shore up the state's beleaguered parks system.

Noreen Evans calls for tax on oil for education, parks | PressDemocrat.com

It wasn't so long ago $54 Million in hidden assets were found in the Parks Department. It ended up costing Ruth Coleman (Director) her job. And what's to become of that 54 million dollars?

Hidden California state parks funds spark outrage - State Parks funding - The Sacramento Bee

Evans tried this once before with a legislation for the same tax back in 2009 but it failed to pass. Voters also turned down Proposition 87 in 2006 that would have done the same thing. Maybe she thinks she has a chance now. And she just might. With a greater number of democrats running the state and a new wave of voters who overwhelmingly approved Proposition 30 (again supposedly the tax to help the schools), there's a better chance this time around.

What I find mind boggling about this however, is Prop 30 was the sales tax increase to help fund the schools in the state but just last night, Sacramento City School District approved closing seven schools at the end of school year. What happened? No state funding for them????

And who does Ms. Evans think is going to end up paying for the tax on oil extraction in the state. The oil companies? Heck no. That will be passed down to us, the ones buying the gas. Does she really think she's doing California residents a favor?

After vote to close 7 Sacramento schools, parents ask: 'Now what?' - Education - The Sacramento Bee

So what now? More taxes?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Gas price at Costco is $3.93 today.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:46 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,476 times
Quote:
Gas price at Costco is $3.93 today.
Drat all the way up to: $3.549

Of course I get $0.15 off per gallon with my Grocery card.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Drat all the way up to: $3.549

Of course I get $0.15 off per gallon with my Grocery card.
Costco is generally cheaper than say Chevron, Shell or 76 which are close by as well. Benefits of membership.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:14 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:
Costco is generally cheaper than say Chevron, Shell or 76 which are close by as well. Benefits of membership.
So much for the so called "free" market.

What ever happened to level playing fields?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:

Here in Calif we pay a sales tax on gasoline.

OF COURSE the state government wants higher prices!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California