Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM

687 posts, read 1,494,015 times

Advertisements

This came up in another thread, and now I present the question to a larger audience. I've lived in Palm Springs most of my life. I grew up here, and raised my kids here. People from the cities seem to have some common views of PS. One, it's easier for us to get to them, than the other way around. "It's too far to go all the way out there. You come here." Really? Because driving east takes longer than driving west?

The one that REALLY baffles me though is, "There's nothing to do." Now, this is a serious question. What exactly is it that y'all are doing in those big cities that we're not able to do here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Lie on the beach.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
Or perhaps lie on it.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Not run the aircon at night.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Walk.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
My van will not drive east of any coastline ... just flat out shuts down.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Watch pro sports live.

But if I found myself in Palm Springs I'd be even more of a tennis playing, golfing guy I guess. /shrug

Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
This came up in another thread, and now I present the question to a larger audience. I've lived in Palm Springs most of my life. I grew up here, and raised my kids here. People from the cities seem to have some common views of PS. One, it's easier for us to get to them, than the other way around. "It's too far to go all the way out there. You come here." Really? Because driving east takes longer than driving west?

The one that REALLY baffles me though is, "There's nothing to do." Now, this is a serious question. What exactly is it that y'all are doing in those big cities that we're not able to do here?
LOL- I think So Cal city folk have a warped concept of driving. Maybe from all the exhaust.
I worked at an animal shelter in Long Beach many years ago. I remember one caller who I gave directions to. After I was done I got the 'all that way?' I drove 9 miles for my commute to work, took all of 15 minutes with morning traffic. This lady was only going to be driving city streets from 4 miles away.
Heaven forbid the idea of a road-trip!
The only form or transportation where it's longer going one way than going the other is air travel.
Maybe they have special flying cars?
(Sorry, silly mood, need to eat something)

I never understood the 'there is nothing to do' idea of non bigcity areas. It's true we do not have big zoos with caged up exotic animals, but we do have wide open spaces with all kinds of wildlife living in their natural environment. We don't have mega-plex movie theaters, but we also don't pay $12 to see a movie.
Ha! Where I am living today....one can go to an actual drive-in. Not many of those in the city.

If anything the one that should be saying 'no! I'm not driving' is the one outside of the city. Why in the world would I want to willingly put myself in the middle of that bumper to bumper mess. City folks are used to it, it's easy for them, but not for me and I was raised in a city.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,015 times
Owl and I think alike! The rest of you make some valid points. Beach? Don't have that, but we do have swimming pools. No cool ocean breeze, but no sand in our suits, either. A/C at night? Really, only during the summer, but then again, during the winter we only need the heat at night, not during the day. Professional sports? Yeah, we do have to drive to see those. My husband can make it to Angels stadium in 1 1/2 hours, not too bad. Walk? Um, we have paved roads and stores where we can buy walking shoes. Lots of walking out here. AND, I could ride my bike to work everyday, took about 20 minutes, and I didn't really have to worry about getting run over.

So, follow up question. How often do you go to the beach or professional sports? My stepson and his wife, who are in their early 30's with three kids, live in LA and love to say there is nothing to do here. Between work and kids, they make it to the beach maybe once a year, and I think they caught two Dodgers games this past season. They also have to go to the movie theater, then decide what they want to see based on what's not sold out already. That has never happened out here.

Yeah, I'm just stirring the pot here a little. Two hours away from "big city" activities, also means we're two hours from the traffic and crowds. It's OK that people don't want to live here, but I think the "nothing to do" argument doesn't work.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Well, when I lived down there I was in San Dimas and Ontario. So I met ya halfway.

I did take in a lot of pro sports though. These attorneys with tickets to games kept calling over and over. And the boss said, go ahead. So I did. /shrug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California