Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

Advertisements

Be careful what you ask for....the Californication of Texas...as per Colorado.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I wanna play now.

According to CNN, CA created more jobs in 2012 than Texas did. Perhaps this could be the reason Perry is trying to bribe companies? Again, according to CNN.

Quote:
Stable companies grow in a location, they aren't "jacked". Google started in CA and isn't going anywhere. It's successful here. Likewise Dell started in Texas and isn't going anywhere. (Angry Birds by the way isn't in this fight, it was started by Novio which is Finnish)
Stable innovative companies grow around the world as do their markets. Google started in CA, and is all over the U.S and world. It already has gone places as talent is to be found everywhere.

Dell is toast from what I recall.. something about markets shifting from desktops/laptops.. Last i heard they are going private. Nonethless, dell has offices all over the U.S and world. Any company worth anything that has 'grown' up has grown outward from its origin. Something to do w/ the global economy.

Farmville .. Angry birds.. tomato tomatoe. hardly on my list of innovation.. More to do w/ smart people finding every increasing ways to get the avg. person to waste time and be unproductive and profit from business of scale...

Quote:
When companies like Google and Kaiser start packing up and moving, then I'll be worried. Both of these companies are expanding in the location headquarters. That doesn't give me much confidence that they are planning on leaving.
Headquarters mean nothing. Google has already .. Did you not get the memo?
Google locations ? Company ? Google
Kaiser too
Locations - Kaiser Permanente Careers
Intel too :
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ation/usa.html

The list goes on and on.

The bay area and that tiny stretch of land they keep trying to cram things in can only handle so much.. Simply from a 'risk' standpoint, no company worth its weight would be dumb enough to locate all its offices in 1 location. As for pride in such companies :
How Apple Sidesteps Billions in Taxes
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/bu...anted=all&_r=0

They're not paying taxes anyway which is part of my issue w/ how Calif. works.. It allows for vast #'s of loopholes for corps and plays dumb and then tries to exact the tax revenue from your avg. joe blow middle class. California is a beautiful place. However, it's govt. and tax system is garbage and that was enough for me and others to leave.. Heck, its enough for google/apple/ and every other tech company you want to rant/rave about to go through all sorts of creative ways to avoid paying any of Calif.'s taxes? What's the net result? A couple thousand engineers get paid livable wages compared to the COL/tax in Calif. and shareholders and fat cats reap the benefit..

Sorry, nothing to be proud of....

Quote:
Also according to CNN, California has a longer life expectancy and more people with health coverage than Texas. Perhaps Mr. Perry should concentrate on closing that gap first.
Minnesota has a higher life expectancy than California.. What's the point? Nothing.

Quote:
What I'm seeing here is most who defend Texas needing to resort to very lengthy posts in order to make their point. If you can't make that point under using a quarter of a thread's page, maybe you should stop. Otherwise, you look like you're simply trying to distract your opponents and why would that be necessary?

Expecting a half page rebuttal from the usual suspects in 3...2...1...
You made 0 points and your logic about people making extended points makes no sense. Expected when you have no footing in objective truth.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 02-06-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont think Im a usual suspect, but I'll respond.

California will grow, the bigger companies will do well, I dont see any surprise there. Texas is where California was 30-40 years ago. Its hyper growth, massive construction and growth. Californias matured a bit and but its still California! Nothing wrong with both doing well in different ways.
Id love to see California simultaneously thrive and shrink in population, but I dont think thats possible.
Ok, that is perhaps the most intelligent post in the whole thread. This makes perfect sense. California has matured more as it's boom started over 50 years ago. This doesn't mean it will crash despite the doom laden warnings by some.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Stable innovative companies grow around the world as do their markets. Google started in CA, and is all over the U.S and world. It already has gone places as talent is to be found everywhere.

Dell is toast from what I recall.. something about markets shifting from desktops/laptops.. Last i heard they are going private. Nonethless, dell has offices all over the U.S and world. Any company worth anything that has 'grown' up has grown outward from its origin. Something to do w/ the global economy.

Farmville .. Angry birds.. tomato tomatoe. hardly on my list of innovation.. More to do w/ smart people finding every increasing ways to get the avg. person to waste time and be unproductive and profit from business of scale...

Headquarters mean nothing. Google has already .. Did you not get the memo?
Google locations ? Company ? Google
Kaiser too
Locations - Kaiser Permanente Careers
Intel too :
Intel Offices in the United States

The list goes on and on.

Minnesota has a higher life expectancy than California.. What's the point? Nothing.

You made 0 points and your logic about people making extended points makes no sense. Expected when you have no footing in objective truth.
You are seriously barking up the wrong tree. I worked for Google the first part of 2012. Of course they are expanding, that's what companies do last I checked. They're expanding their main campus too in response to their continued growth elsewhere. Again, you've proven nothing except that you can take up have a page just to state a difference of opinion. Compensating for something?

And yes Minnesota I believe has the highest standard of living in the country. I said California's was higher than that of Texas. I did not say that CA's was the best. Are we still talking about CA and TX or are you deflecting again?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont think Im a usual suspect, but I'll respond.

California will grow, the bigger companies will do well, I dont see any surprise there. Texas is where California was 30-40 years ago. Its hyper growth, massive construction and growth. Californias matured a bit and but its still California! Nothing wrong with both doing well in different ways.
Id love to see California simultaneously thrive and shrink in population, but I dont think thats possible.
With business practices like this :
Sunnyvale energy startup Bloom Energy penalized for bringing in Mexican workers, paying $2.66/hr in pesos - San Jose Mercury News
Google 2.4% Rate Shows How $60 Billion Lost to Tax Loopholes - Bloomberg

Of course they will.. Taxes are the burden of upper middle class wage earners in California.
With a large portion of people in the high paying sectors being immigrants, a good portion don't even care. I'm fine w/ that, more power to them. The demographic shift speaks for itself and I hope it works out great..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Ok, that is perhaps the most intelligent post in the whole thread. This makes perfect sense. California has matured more as it's boom started over 50 years ago. This doesn't mean it will crash despite the doom laden warnings by some.

Yeah its been booming longer than that. Its certainly taken a hit, but I think the economy is and has to mature more like east coast cities that had their booms, then had their busts and now are flourishing again. California has too much to offer to suffer a rustbelt like decline. People will figure it out, even if that means it being people new to the state.
Now saying all that, doesnt take away from Texas which is in fact booming and isnt a bad place to live. The recession didnt impact Texas nearly as much, but again its got tremendous growth to fuel the economy here. Report came out today saying Texas has the #1,2,3 and 9th fastest growing metropolitan areas in the nation. It is what it is.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
With business practices like this :
Sunnyvale energy startup Bloom Energy penalized for bringing in Mexican workers, paying $2.66/hr in pesos - San Jose Mercury News
Google 2.4% Rate Shows How $60 Billion Lost to Tax Loopholes - Bloomberg

Of course they will.. Taxes are the burden of upper middle class wage earners in California.
With a large portion of people in the high paying sectors being immigrants, a good portion don't even care. I'm fine w/ that, more power to them. The demographic shift speaks for itself and I hope it works out great..

Its all relative and those immigrants are happy to earn and live where they are. Thats part of the massive demographic change thats been happening in California.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
If Rick Perry is your salesman, good luck making sales.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,317 times
This may be a silly question but why can texas get away with its low tax rates but California cannot? What are all the extra cost burdens california has over texas, whereby it has to have a higher tax rate and yet is still in debt?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
This may be a silly question but why can texas get away with its low tax rates but California cannot? What are all the extra cost burdens california has over texas, whereby it has to have a higher tax rate and yet is still in debt?
It doesn't, the idea that California Taxes are substantially higher than any other state is a fallacy believed in, but not supported by facts. Read below.

Quote:
Tax freedom day in Texas, 4/11, tax freedom day in CA 4/20. 9 days difference, That gives us a fraction, 9/365th, We can reduce that to, 1/40th. I think that works out to a 3.285% difference in what the state takes from you in Texas and what the state takes from you in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California