Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What do you think his motivation is?

However my understanding was he counted the companies that moved their HQ's as well as the entire company out of CA.

Of course you would not hear that Dell has left TX for CA Dell only expaned and opened a research center in SV. That is not the same as moving its HQ or entire company.
Exactly, Dell didn't move their company at all, No one claimed they did. However, Vranich would have counted it as a company leaving CA if Dell was in CA and opened an office in another state.

Here is his quote

In what he calls "disinvestment events," Vranich counts companies that move jobs, facilities or headquarters out of California and "in carefully selected instances, companies making major capital investments in plants elsewhere that in the past would have been built in California," Vranich said.

Since they are his statistics, he is free to count whatever he wants. He bundles all these "companies that move jobs, facilities or headquarters out of California and companies making major capital investments in plants elsewhere " as "companies that are leaving California". That is all I am trying to say.

No one did anything similar when a company opens an office in California such as the Dell example.

I understand companies open offices all over the place, rather routinely. I don't understand the headline "254 companies a year move from CA". I don't understand why OldTrader takes that headline and says "A company a day leaves California". It is simply not true.

If my business was relocating companies out of California, which Vranich's is, I would want to convince as many people and businesses I could that California is doomed and people and companies are bailing out of California. That is his motivation.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
You forgot the latest data that includes cost of living :
California Poverty Rate Highest In Nation Based On New Census Department Figures

Nice try though.
Again, that is a supplemental poverty measure, not the official one. It's alao a measure that completely ignores supply and demand and pretends that places like Mississippi have the same desirability as California. That's absurd at face value. People would rather pay more to live in California then save more money and live in Montana. That's how desirability works.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
In all this discussion, no one has yet answered why Perry needs to bribe companies from another state? Sure I've seen the long winded circular posts but no actual answer. Wonder why?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
In all this discussion, no one has yet answered why Perry needs to bribe companies from another state? Sure I've seen the long winded circular posts but no actual answer. Wonder why?
Many States do this and have for years. They have a responsibility to their State to grow it and expand jobs. You should see the fight between Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO. This is just how it works.

I would be more concerned about a Governor who did not try to bring business to his State than one who does.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
It's Texas. A state saddled with Rick Perry.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Many States do this and have for years. They have a responsibility to their State to grow it and expand jobs. You should see the fight between Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO. This is just how it works.

I would be more concerned about a Governor who did not try to bring business to his State than one who does.
That example sounds more like two cities just across the river from one another in different states. Not the states themselves.

I think we both know that this situation isn't normal. At least I hope we both know that. Maybe it is normal between other states I don't know but that begs the question still, why? Why doesn't California have a campaign to bribe businesses out of other states in this way?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
It's Texas. A state saddled with Rick Perry.
Nuff said

Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post

I agree with Leonard. Trade delegations and such are pretty normal and par for the course.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 PM

596 posts, read 937,481 times
Quote:
every state is trying to attract companies. how is that a bribe. texas wouldn't be as appealing to corporations if california adopted a pro-business climate.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM

Sigh. Love how well people read around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California