Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
These California vs. Texas threads are always fun!
The more traitors Perry can relieve us of, the better for me!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The more things that change the more they stay the same huh?
Greetings all. Taking a break from paradise to post a little....

A question I have.. What's with the retort about 'innovation' and California? Do common people who have nothing to do w/ this sector not know the history of Calif's now burgeoning tech scene? Here, educate yourself :

Summary : Calif's tech scene derived from War/defense spending by the US govt... From there, offshoot ventures came to be as well as subsequent VC funding for private endeavors.
Calif. thus has momentum in this area and anyone who has a knowledge of history or picks up a newspaper understands how that fades.. how this sector is global and all over the U.S. Vmware,intel,amd,ati,HP,zynga,fb,google.. you name it are all over the U.S and world and there is just as much talent/innovation occurring in austin as there is in mountain view.. sanfran, boxborough, shanghai, bangalore... Physical location doesn't mean crap for innovation.

One of my latest trades : Home - OPKO Health, Inc. .. innovators.. miami..
innovative people innovate everywhere..

The creation and platform for Calif.'s 'innovation' sector and one of the biggest contributors to its tax base and much of the retort that people like to spew has nothing to do w/ California .. even its weather... Further has nothing to do w/ how horribly ran its govt. is and has much to do with the federal govt...

Further, having never been educated in California much like most of my friends from some of the top Universities in the U.S that are not in Calif., I'm confused where people get off claiming me and others as some selfish/over-prideful part of California Innovation. Again, such commentary reminds me of how little such people who make such comments know about the tech sector and innovation sectors that are global in nature and source people from all over.. I'd love to know who here works in such sectors who are making these comments. I'll take a guess that most of you don't.

As I mentioned some time ago, besides working in the sector, I have tie ins w/ many in it.. There are many companies .. Coming from the top CEO/CTO and executives who continue to express that talent is global as is innovation. People in the sector are anything but bought on some 'fanboy' concept that Calif. is the end all of innovation. Innovative people are everywhere and live everywhere and in a global economy you have to be everywhere.

I'll post some more on this thread but that's what I have to say on this particular point.

P.S -If you failed to get the memo, there is incredible growth occuring in several non-california tech hubs throughout the U.S.

Like Calif's famed silicon valley, it is having its start and will take time to grow. The same goes for other places is it not? And what's this obsession/greed with trying to claim everything as Calif.? We live in a country known as the US do we not? If companies can move to another location where labor is cheaper and hire more people.. give people a better quality of life, that's a great thing for this country. As several CEOs have noted, VMware's being one of them .. they have to continue to seek lower cost centers in the U.S .. They froze hiring in Calif. while increasing hiring in lower cost centers in the U.S.. It was a smart move for the company and benefits those it employs.
otherwise, you'll see this more frequently :
VMware Announces Mass Layoffs After Positive Earnings Report -- Redmondmag.com

Meh. Silicon Valley destroys all other tech scenes virtually by itself, and it isn't going anywhere, so save the prayers.

Of the top 10 U.S. tech hubs, The Bay Area dwarfed the competition. It had 3,442 startups in 2011, with $11.8 billion invested. That amount was nearly 4x that of the #2 city, Boston. Not even close.

The only Texas city to crack the top 10 (#8 Austin) had 487 startups with $643 million invested. That doesn't even compare to the #3 California city on the list (San Diego; 329 startups, $915 million invested), much less Silicon Valley.

Rick Perry had better buy some more air time. He's going to need it.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai
Texas is like China...only thing they bring to the table is dirt cheap labor, poor environmental regulations and standard of living. They both have zero innovation or creativity of their own and only know how to steal jobs from other countries/ states.
Median household income adjusted for cost of living, shows that Texas is only about $350 per year lower than California, so using that as a guideline, then California has dirt cheap labor. With about the same income levels as California when adjusted, then California must also have a poor standard of living by your quote above. This is proven by California has more total people, and a higher percentage of people living below the poverty line than any other state in the nation, so California is the state that has a much lower standard of living than places like Texas.

GeoCommons

Here is a list of cities in California with their poverty rate. How much poorer can you get than up to 100% of the people living below the poverty rate, and it is much worse today as they now adjust for cost of living when determining the poverty rate starting in December. Official poverty rate went up, in many of the cities shown.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

There is not the big difference between Texas and California when it comes to environmental regulations for companies, as you imagine, and creativity is not limited to California. It is happening in states other than California, and all over the world.

California is not heaven, and it is not perfect. It has some great things, and has some of the worst in the nation. Other states including Texas have good points and bad points, just as California does. But most states, and cities, do not have as many problems as California is facing at this time.

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
And a big reason that companies are leaving California and going to other states, is they can save as much as 40% in operating costs by moving out of California, and remember, this all goes to the bottom line. Even California companies such as Apple, are putting their divisions that make money in Texas, Nevada, and places other than California to cut their costs, and save paying taxes. Apple is building 2 operations in Nevada, one in Oregon, and increasing one in Texas by 3,500 people. They may have their headquarters there, but that is all expenses and no profit. The profit centers are in other states and other countries, to save paying the horrendous California taxes and high operating costs. A new operation going in, can start up in 60 days rather than 24 to 30 as it takes in California and save as much as $2,000,000 in start up costs to get all the permits. Can save a tremendous amount of money, buying land and building the building for the new operation. Labor costs are less, even though cost of living adjusted salaries may mean the Texas or other state employees have more disposable income than in California.
Again with this broken record.

0.3% of all jobs lost in California (2012) were due to job re-location. Not 3%, 0.3%. The great business exodus is a myth. A total myth.

California is peerless among U.S. states for small business startups. Even now it has one of the highest rates in the country (440 per 100k). So much for that harsh business climate! If the rates are among the highest, you know damn well CA dwarfs damn near every state in total startups. Even Montana.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Meh. Silicon Valley destroys all other tech scenes virtually by itself, and it isn't going anywhere, so save the prayers.
Quick question... Do you work in tech? Making such ridiculous statements its obvious you don't.. and, if you do, unlike actual people who make executive decisions, you don't get the bigger picture.

Globalization answered humanities prayers.... There's no reason for me to get on my knees and pray. I live my dreams working far away from the valley in the location of my choice for one of the top tech companies in the valley.... Talent/innovation are all over there world and those who actually work in the sector recognize that and have footprints everywhere.

All it took was a simple request and I get to work wherever I want. Innovating just the same where I want.

Quote:
Of the top 10 U.S. tech hubs, The Bay Area dwarfed the competition. It had 3,442 startups in 2011, with $11.8 billion invested. That amount was nearly 4x that of the #2 city, Boston. Not even close.
That's due to the history surrounding it :

As of late, those stupid startups aren't doing so hot and I hardly consider angry birds innovative.

Quote:
The only Texas city to crack the top 10 (#8 Austin) had 487 startups with $643 million invested. That doesn't even compare to the #3 California city on the list (San Diego; 329 startups, $915 million invested), much less Silicon Valley.

Rick Perry had better buy some more air time. He's going to need it.
Screw startups. talk about endups....
80% of the junk startups created in the valley end up in a trashbin. Thus, i am not too concerned about Jimmy's latest amazing cloud app.
Calif. has a history, had momentum and has a jumpstart. The implications are seemingly lost on you as is the global footprint of almost every 'endup' tech company in California.

No one has to pray.. There are non-arrogant smart/innovative people who get that there are smart/innovative people around the world and thus expand their businesses physically around the world to take advantage of that. The only people hooting and hollering about the Valley as if nothing exists outside of that seem to be joe-common-six packs who couldn't find innovation if it was staring them in the face or run a successful global business with an EZ button.

I don't even want to get into the amazing growth found in disruptive technologies like kickstarter that are disrupting the traditional modeling of funding and further nuking the already dead idea of physical location being necessary for funding/discovery. The greatest system in use in modern day time (the internet) flies in the face of an archaic concept of physical locations being dominant. It's used everyday to conduct global business and to allow actually strong tech titans to conduct innovation w/o borders.

So, do me a favor, please stop praying that technology and its impact on a borderless business place are going to cease or revert .. It's falling on deaf ears... has been for years

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 02-06-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Looked great on my cross country trip as I drove through it and stayed for a bit. I thought it was pretty cool when I saw the sea of wind farms on my drive through. I think these are it :
Google invests $200 million in Texas wind farm - Jan. 9, 2013
Like yeah, it would look great to you, after all, you think Florida is a fine place to live, tain't no accountin' for taste. A couple of rules in life worth following, one is, never live east of the 100th Meridian, another is never live where wind power works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Flat and irrigated. Then somewhere before the Mississippi it got kinda green. Then after the pilot pointed out the Mississippi very, very green. Then I got off the plane in Atlanta and said lordy it's humid, but it was green.

The company I worked for was hq'd in Atlanta though, so I've been twice. Was fun to visit. But they might have transferred me to Texas, lol.

Think I will stay in CA though.

That's nice. We've been farming wind along 152 at Pacheco State park past Los Banos for the last 30 years or so.
You should have seen irrigation west of the 100th meridian, not east of it, which is why one does not want to live east of the 100th meridian.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Flat and irrigated. Then somewhere before the Mississippi it got kinda green. Then after the pilot pointed out the Mississippi very, very green. Then I got off the plane in Atlanta and said lordy it's humid, but it was green.
Agree on Atlanta. Atlanta is very pretty, its a city in the trees. Humid yes, much more so than Dallas/Ft Worth.
The Texas I know is not flat and irrigated. Its not flat like Fresno and theres no ag industry in most like the central valley. The only area that would be close that I know of is south Texas Rio Grande Valley.
Central and north Texas is rolling hills/prarie covered with grass and pockets of heavy tree cover. It may surprise you to know that theres only a few places in California that get as much rain as Dallas. If you drive from Ft Worth to Florida, from the time you get east of Dallas its full tree coverage all the way to northern Florida. Cities like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta are economic powerhouses, no shame in that. The weathers not bad either, been in the 70s and clear all week. Summers brutal though.

Quote:
The company I worked for was hq'd in Atlanta though, so I've been twice. Was fun to visit. But they might have transferred me to Texas, lol.

Think I will stay in CA though.

That's nice. We've been farming wind along 152 at Pacheco State park past Los Banos for the last 30 years or so.
I think thats great unless you want to move to Pittsburgh

Anyways, all the BS aside. I know California as well as anyone. Ive lived in northern, central and southern California. California is incredible, its diverse in many ways and has the best of landscapes, soil, weather conditions, state parks, coastline, cities/towns, but I do know its warts too. Theres no reason to pretend theyre not real. All we do is discuss them in stereotypical terms here on the c/d (both for Texas and California). The business climate is rough. Regulations are somewhat out of control. The cost of living and business is very high. However, it always comes down to a lifestyle choice. People move from city to city and from state to state generally for economic reasons. No surprise.
Positives and negatives from each state.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
I wanna play now.

According to CNN, CA created more jobs in 2012 than Texas did. Perhaps this could be the reason Perry is trying to bribe companies? Again, according to CNN.

Stable companies grow in a location, they aren't "jacked". Google started in CA and isn't going anywhere. It's successful here. Likewise Dell started in Texas and isn't going anywhere. (Angry Birds by the way isn't in this fight, it was started by Novio which is Finnish)

When companies like Google and Kaiser start packing up and moving, then I'll be worried. Both of these companies are expanding in the location headquarters. That doesn't give me much confidence that they are planning on leaving.

Also according to CNN, California has a longer life expectancy and more people with health coverage than Texas. Perhaps Mr. Perry should concentrate on closing that gap first.

What I'm seeing here is most who defend Texas needing to resort to very lengthy posts in order to make their point. If you can't make that point under using a quarter of a thread's page, maybe you should stop. Otherwise, you look like you're simply trying to distract your opponents and why would that be necessary?

Expecting a half page rebuttal from the usual suspects in 3...2...1...

Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I wanna play now.

According to CNN, CA created more jobs in 2012 than Texas did. Perhaps this could be the reason Perry is trying to bribe companies? Again, according to CNN.

Stable companies grow in a location, they aren't "jacked". Google started in CA and isn't going anywhere. It's successful here. Likewise Dell started in Texas and isn't going anywhere. (Angry Birds by the way isn't in this fight, it was started by Novio which is Finnish)

When companies like Google and Kaiser start packing up and moving, then I'll be worried. Both of these companies are expanding in the location headquarters. That doesn't give me much confidence that they are planning on leaving.

Also according to CNN, California has a longer life expectancy and more people with health coverage than Texas. Perhaps Mr. Perry should concentrate on closing that gap first.

What I'm seeing here is most who defend Texas needing to resort to very lengthy posts in order to make their point. If you can't make that point under using a quarter of a thread's page, maybe you should stop. Otherwise, you look like you're simply trying to distract your opponents and why would that be necessary?

Expecting a half page rebuttal from the usual suspects in 3...2...1...
I dont think Im a usual suspect, but I'll respond.

California will grow, the bigger companies will do well, I dont see any surprise there. Texas is where California was 30-40 years ago. Its hyper growth, massive construction and growth. Californias matured a bit and but its still California! Nothing wrong with both doing well in different ways.
Id love to see California simultaneously thrive and shrink in population, but I dont think thats possible.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Like yeah, it would look great to you, after all, you think Florida is a fine place to live, tain't no accountin' for taste. A couple of rules in life worth following, one is, never live east of the 100th Meridian, another is never live where wind power works.
Same ol' same ol'. *cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California