Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 59,082 times

Advertisements

I have been offered jobs in Redding and Alturas CA. I have searched the internet, but still have not gotten enough information to know where. If anyone can give me any info on both, it would greatly be appreciated. And no, I have not visited either place to date. I currently live in a small town south of Atlanta, but work in Atlanta. I love this area and the accessibility. Things to know would be:
1. Culture of the area
2. History of the area and how it relates to all races
3. Rating for School system for high schoolers
4. Housing Availability, as well as, Apartments
5. Business Info, such as malls, fast food, etc.
6. Transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
I am familiar with both Redding and Alturas. Redding is a great area, you can live just outside town in a rural setting, but are still close by for shopping, medical, some culture, etc. There are some great schools in the area. The Redding area is growing. More and more services/stores, etc pop up every year. Its only a few hours to the coast and about 3 1/2 hours from the Bay Area. It gets pretty hot in the summers, its a dry heat and more bearable then many humid areas in the summer. Housing seems to be pretty good, there are a good mix of housing and apartments.

Alturas is very different. Its very rural and very small. There is nothing for 100+ miles in any direction. If you are looking for horse property and don't mind living a solitary lifestyle, then Alturas is for you. Its predominately white, there are some Native Americans and Hispanic in the area. I am not sure about the schools. I have had some friends that lived in Alturas until recently, they never complained nor complimented the schools there. Shopping is extremely limited, and I emphasize EXTREMELY. Alot of people drive to Klamath Falls, OR for shopping. Some drive to Susanville, CA each month for shopping. But Klamath Falls has more to offer. Both are a 2 hour or so drive, and its not always an easy drive in the winter. Housing is limited because its such a small area. Alturas has a bus system, but the routes are very limited.

Good luck with your new job and move west!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
What Inthesierras has said is spot on. Not much need for me to repeat what he has said, but I will. That being said, I know Redding, however, I only know Alturas by reputation, so value my opinions accordingly.

If your criteria above refer to a desire to have "more" or "better" of the things listed than Redding has more or better on all counts.

If your desire is to live in a mono-culture, away from it all, back-to-the-future, rural, small town America existence (and many people do) then Alturas is a better spot.

Regarding the high schools, what you will find is that Redding schools have more extra-curricular activities, more class choices (AP - foreign languages - science/math courses). You will also probably find that your child has a better chance to excel in Redding schools given these choices, and if they fall in with kids who are studying hard and looking to advance their educations. However, there will also be a greater chance of your child completing failing given the size of the schools and/or if they fall in with the kids who are headed downhill. There are always a few of those, but Redding, given it's greater size will have more of them. That being said, Alturas, because of its isolation may have more kids who just expect to stay put.

Redding has an airport, but still many people fly in and out of Sacramento airport - 2 hours away - because of fares/connections. Alturas, may or may not have an airport but if it does you'd probably be flying a puddle jumper to get to someplace like Reno or Sacramento and then connecting from there. In any and all cases Alturas will be less connected to the world.

Regarding housing, given it's size the quantity of apartments in Alturas is probably limited. You'd probably have more choices renting a house. That being said Alturas has some of the cheapest housing in California other than the Mojave desert, so you might even end up buying.

Redding has plenty of apartments from crappy, older, and cheaper, to new and upscale.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Smile Thank you for the great information!

Right on target from my research. Thanks
leraindrops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I am familiar with both Redding and Alturas. Redding is a great area, you can live just outside town in a rural setting, but are still close by for shopping, medical, some culture, etc. There are some great schools in the area. The Redding area is growing. More and more services/stores, etc pop up every year. Its only a few hours to the coast and about 3 1/2 hours from the Bay Area. It gets pretty hot in the summers, its a dry heat and more bearable then many humid areas in the summer. Housing seems to be pretty good, there are a good mix of housing and apartments.

Alturas is very different. Its very rural and very small. There is nothing for 100+ miles in any direction. If you are looking for horse property and don't mind living a solitary lifestyle, then Alturas is for you. Its predominately white, there are some Native Americans and Hispanic in the area. I am not sure about the schools. I have had some friends that lived in Alturas until recently, they never complained nor complimented the schools there. Shopping is extremely limited, and I emphasize EXTREMELY. Alot of people drive to Klamath Falls, OR for shopping. Some drive to Susanville, CA each month for shopping. But Klamath Falls has more to offer. Both are a 2 hour or so drive, and its not always an easy drive in the winter. Housing is limited because its such a small area. Alturas has a bus system, but the routes are very limited.

Good luck with your new job and move west!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Smile Thank you for the great information!

Thank you for the additional information.
leraindrops

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
What Inthesierras has said is spot on. Not much need for me to repeat what he has said, but I will. That being said, I know Redding, however, I only know Alturas by reputation, so value my opinions accordingly.

If your criteria above refer to a desire to have "more" or "better" of the things listed than Redding has more or better on all counts.

If your desire is to live in a mono-culture, away from it all, back-to-the-future, rural, small town America existence (and many people do) then Alturas is a better spot.

Regarding the high schools, what you will find is that Redding schools have more extra-curricular activities, more class choices (AP - foreign languages - science/math courses). You will also probably find that your child has a better chance to excel in Redding schools given these choices, and if they fall in with kids who are studying hard and looking to advance their educations. However, there will also be a greater chance of your child completing failing given the size of the schools and/or if they fall in with the kids who are headed downhill. There are always a few of those, but Redding, given it's greater size will have more of them. That being said, Alturas, because of its isolation may have more kids who just expect to stay put.

Redding has an airport, but still many people fly in and out of Sacramento airport - 2 hours away - because of fares/connections. Alturas, may or may not have an airport but if it does you'd probably be flying a puddle jumper to get to someplace like Reno or Sacramento and then connecting from there. In any and all cases Alturas will be less connected to the world.

Regarding housing, given it's size the quantity of apartments in Alturas is probably limited. You'd probably have more choices renting a house. That being said Alturas has some of the cheapest housing in California other than the Mojave desert, so you might even end up buying.

Redding has plenty of apartments from crappy, older, and cheaper, to new and upscale.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 25,441 times
Default Trying to Decide Redding or Alturas, CA

I lived in the Redding area from 1938 until 1992. After retiring and traveling around for a few years, we purchased property in Modoc County. Not within City limits of Alturas but near Goose Lake. We still own property in both areas.
Redding has always been HOT in the summertime, sometimes as much as 12O-F with higher humidity, but it does have shopping and all that stuff, along with lots of traffic congestion nearly like Sacramento. Redding also has a 300 day growing season, with snow sometimes in winter. There are usually good employment opportunities in Redding area, but the summers make for high air conditioning bills.
Alturas is a very rural type setting, a long time ranching community although there were sawmills and SP railroad hdqtrs back until 70's or so, with summers more in the 90--100-F range and low humidity. Nights are cool so that we seldom even turn on a fan in summer, just close the curtains on the sunny side. Growing season is about 60 days. Nice spring and fall with good colors. Now Alturas is more ranch and Retiree oriented. Winter does get cold and you can count on snow each winter but it usually doesn' stay too long. Alturas winter heating costs are less than summer cooling in Redding. Some Retirees go to Arizona during Jan/Feb. Housing costs are relatively low, As an example we built a new custom home (2001) with heated Italian porcelan tile floors vaulted ceilings throughout and a glassed in sun porch on 4 acres with a 700gpm well for irrigation, as well as an all metal 60 x 120 foot (7200sq ft enclosed) ag/shop building (2005) with 7 large roll up doors and have less than $130,000 total invested as reflected on our current tax bill. There are jobs, but pay is low. Good doctors and hospital in Lakeview,OR about 50 miles north, better than in Klamath Falls 100 miles. Modoc Medical Center in Alturas is not a good hospital. You can join air ambulance service $49 a year and fly to a good hopital for serious injuries. Redding, Reno or Medford are all about the same distance just different directions. We usually go to one or another of these cities about once each month for any shopping. We have never yet put on tire chains in winter, but do have a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:49 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I think cause Id pick Redding cause its larger and perhaps has more to do. Alturas is nice too but its a lot smaller.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:07 PM

25 posts, read 134,026 times
We moved to Redding in 2004 from San Diego, we love it here, my husband was born and raised here and now we started our own family. We can tell you first hand what is like, neighborhoods, housing, schools, recreation, etc. We're also Real Estate Practisioners and can direct you the best neighborhoods in Redding. You're more than welcome to check our website for demographics information, school ratings, and the MLS Chris & Maria Jeantet : Shasta Living...a better place for you and your family

Chris & Maria Jeantet ~ Redding CA

Old 11-19-2007, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 24,894 times
Alturas. Cold and unforgiving. Hot with unforgiving wind blowing all summer. only store that is modern is a Rite Aid. Everthing is overpriced in Alturas. It snows and the snow melts and turns to ice. More snow on the ice for weeks. Dont plan on having a garden as it can freeze any day of the year in Alturas. Nearest place to shop for supplies is at least two hours away. Buy a four wheel drive, have chains and a shovel in you car at all times. Dont travel after dark as black ice and deer in the road are not worth risking your life. The school system is one of the worst in my opinion. I had to live in Alturas for eight years until I was old enough to move out. Plan on everyone in Alturas being involved in all of your business, very nosy people. If you like to cut lots of wood as a hobby in the summer you are in for a real treat. You need to make sure you have lots of firewood so you dont freeze to death in the winter. There is nowhere to go out to eat. Just as many bars as churchs in Alturas. Redding is great. Modern with lots of things to do. Good shopping, great reacreation. Lots of choices for housing are avaible in Redding. Great school systems and dinning as well. Trust me, PICK REDDING!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 25,463 times
I just bought some land, 5 miles from Alturas, in a community about which I don't know much. I'll be interested in making it my winter getaway from Baltimore. If you could help me find a builder or suggest a way to build a comfortable house on 1.5 acres plot.

Thanks

Rakesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California