Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM

510 posts, read 430,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS!!!!!!!!! All you people have every talked about is how people are leaving in droves! Droves mean lots of every type! Bleeding jobs and bleeding tax payers I think I've read? Please! Save it!
That's what he said. QUALITY people are leaving, ie; the one's who have nice jobs and pay taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS!!!!!!!!! All you people have every talked about is how people are leaving in droves! Droves mean lots of every type! Bleeding jobs and bleeding tax payers I think I've read? Please! Save it!
Lack of reading comprehension noted. Actually it isn't BS at all. I've cited the actual evidence before in other threads on this matter, right from John Chiang himself. All I alluded to here is that certain trends point to certain possibilities using facts to back them up. Sensationalism isn't my thing, reality is. You can choose to accept it or be destroyed by it. Reality doesn't care what your opinion is.

Perhaps the circumstances will change and maybe they won't. I don't have a crystal ball, but knowing CA politics the way I do, we have a penchant for continuing to do the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result. So you'll pardon me if I retain a healthy skepticism.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
That's what he said. QUALITY people are leaving, ie; the one's who have nice jobs and pay taxes.
So... if those quality people leave those nice jobs won't someone else take them and pay taxes? I doubt they'll go unfilled. Probably those Northeasterners and Midwesterners looking for somewhere warmer.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 AM

444 posts, read 665,595 times
Quote:
California may be "losing people" as is so often stridently and tirelessly repeated on this site. According to this, it isn't in the top five of states people are fleeing.

The States People Are Fleeing In 2013 - Yahoo! Finance

There's gonna be a problem with the source they so often ask for, watch
There is nothing surprising about this. Despite what some claim, California has never lost population since statehood. The claims about CA losing population and people & jobs fleeing have been greatly exaggerated by doom n gloom wannabe forecasters for years. While CA gains the most from births and foreign immigration it does lose more people domestically moving out than moving in. The last I calculated was from figures estimated for 2011 and the net loss was in the 9,000 range. Pretty much an insignificant number in a state approaching 40 million residents (Yikes!)

What these doom & gloomers don't mention is that many still move to California domestically and offsets the many who move out.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Nah, just look at the posts of those who claim to be leaving CA.... been claiming that for years some of them. Pretty much all political conservatives and the economically marginal, ah, but I repeat myself.

Those with good jobs, and good homes are not all excited about leaving CA, until retirement. For years folks have sold their CA homes and moved out of state to retire, but, once their locations are Californicated, they really haven't left.

And then of course there are those of us who left other states to retire in CA. A great place to grow old, benign weather.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Lack of reading comprehension noted. Actually it isn't BS at all. I've cited the actual evidence before in other threads on this matter, right from John Chiang himself. All I alluded to here is that certain trends point to certain possibilities using facts to back them up. Sensationalism isn't my thing, reality is. You can choose to accept it or be destroyed by it. Reality doesn't care what your opinion is.

Perhaps the circumstances will change and maybe they won't. I don't have a crystal ball, but knowing CA politics the way I do, we have a penchant for continuing to do the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result. So you'll pardon me if I retain a healthy skepticism.
Ok, I'll give you this much credit, and it isn't much. I won't completely disregard what you are saying. I will wait for the dooms days to come like I have been for the years those of your ilk have been spewing this baloney.

First people were leaving "in droves". Now since that argument no longer works, "it's the quality of people leaving". We're left with such a low quality that another states governor has to try to convince the low quality remaining to move to his state? Obviously is these last few need convincing they weren't planning on going anywhere.

Now what's your excuse?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
(Yikes!)

What these doom & gloomers don't mention is that many still move to California domestically and offsets the many who move out.
Yep, and some of these people have said in other threads that where they live, as well as many other places in the state are mostly transplants from other parts of the country. Everyone's leaving but everyone's a transplant.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nah, just look at the posts of those who claim to be leaving CA.... been claiming that for years some of them. Pretty much all political conservatives and the economically marginal, ah, but I repeat myself.

Those with good jobs, and good homes are not all excited about leaving CA, until retirement. For years folks have sold their CA homes and moved out of state to retire, but, once their locations are Californicated, they really haven't left.

And then of course there are those of us who left other states to retire in CA. A great place to grow old, benign weather.
Plenty of people do mover here to retire, you're right about that one. Anyone who lives in San Diego can attest to that. They're not all retirees moving in either. The city of Chula Vista has been growing at a rate that doesn't make sense for a state losing population. No, they're not all foreign born or Mexican immigrants either despite it's location.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I doubt that we retirees who move to other states really are a significant lot numerically. We probably fall into three groups, none of them really very large. There are those who can't afford the state on reduced, retirement income. There are those who move to another state to be closer to adult children and grandchildren. There are those who simply want a change of pace and/or a reurn to somewhere they've lived and enjoyed in the past.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I doubt that we retirees who move to other states really are a significant lot numerically. We probably fall into three groups, none of them really very large. There are those who can't afford the state on reduced, retirement income. There are those who move to another state to be closer to adult children and grandchildren. There are those who simply want a change of pace and/or a reurn to somewhere they've lived and enjoyed in the past.
Makes perfect sense curm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California