Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I agree with comment 2. What Comment #1 is not looking at, and Comment #2 is looking at, is that the ones that are leaving the state are the productive, earning money and paying taxes population. What is replacing them, is the people that are taking much lower jobs if they can find one (REMEMBER HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT), and are the ones that are causing California to have the highest poverty rate in the nation where nearly 25% of the population is living in poverty, and is causing California to be using up 1/3rd of all poverty funds in the nation which is far more than their share of the poverty funds in the nation.

The combination of falling tax receipts due to less higher and middle income people, and the poverty rolls growing, is why tax receipts are falling in California which contributes to it's huge budget deficit. As California has just proven, their leaders solutions is to raise the taxes on the people in the state who are the earners in the state. The more middle income and rich people leaving the state, the more they will have to raise the taxes on the earners to support the ones that are receiving, etc.

#Comment 1--Keep asking for more people to flee the state, and in effect beg the legislature and governor to raise your taxes in return which will be their only real option. Then the round robin effect begins again, as raising taxes will drive more companies and people from the state that are escaping paying taxes, which will get your taxes raised again.
Comment #1 sees all. What you write is balderdash. Since what you predict is unsustainable, the trends will self-correct.

My mutt had the flees once ... we were glad to see them go when they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Tuttlemut, keep dreaming.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Tuttlemut, keep dreaming.
You ain't snowed in up there are ya?

The Mamas & The Papas: California Dreamin' - YouTube

What happens if say a million Californias emigrate to Montana, besides doubling the population anyway?

Got that many jobs?

My "Move to Montana!" campaign is picking up steam as I've added an exclamation mark to it.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
that the ones that are leaving the state are the productive, earning money and paying taxes population. What is replacing them, is the people that are taking much lower jobs if they can find one (REMEMBER HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT), and are the ones that are causing California to have the highest poverty rate in the nation where nearly 25% of the population is living in poverty, and is causing California to be using up 1/3rd of all poverty funds in the nation which is far more than their share of the poverty funds in the nation.

The combination of falling tax receipts due to less higher and middle income people, and the poverty rolls growing, is why tax receipts are falling in California which contributes to it's huge budget deficit. As California has just proven, their leaders solutions is to raise the taxes on the people in the state who are the earners in the state. The more middle income and rich people leaving the state, the more they will have to raise the taxes on the earners to support the ones that are receiving, etc.

#Comment 1--Keep asking for more people to flee the state, and in effect beg the legislature and governor to raise your taxes in return which will be their only real option. Then the round robin effect begins again, as raising taxes will drive more companies and people from the state that are escaping paying taxes, which will get your taxes raised again.
This is of course, Montana, as the resource extraction jobs have ended, Montana young people must leave, or get jobs as servants for the California Carpetbaggers, who have nearly singlehandedly destroyed agriculture in the state by driving up real estate prices beyond the capacity of agriculture to support. Read the first chapter of Collapse.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
You ain't snowed in up there are ya?

The Mamas & The Papas: California Dreamin' - YouTube

What happens if say a million Californias emigrate to Montana, besides doubling the population anyway?

Got that many jobs?

My "Move to Montana!" campaign is picking up steam as I've added an exclamation mark to it.
Let's try moving more like 3 million up there for starters ... At least get more people milling around than sheep and cattle. As it is, Montana has 2.5 times more cattle than people, plus another at least 1/3 as many sheep ... And we know how Monatan's love their sheep. Anyway, start with that population explosion and then see about steadily maintaining a stream of a good million a year more. Trample the best spots with tacky housing and strip malls. Throw down some haphazard freeways to encourage commuting from every lovely valley and dale. Water should be no problem as they can just pump it over from western Washington, who, I'm sure, would love to share. Um, what did we miss? Oh, electricity ... Well, the NW is maxing out soon with their own hydro being sold to support the growth south in California, so I guess coal burning power is the answer there. Oh, and trash. Well, Idaho is pretty skinny, so again, head over to eastern Washington by the train load. Just wide open space in eastern Washington.

With little to no regulation and low tax structure, this should work out great. Nothing like unbridled growth to improve a boring location. No?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
This is of course, Montana, as the resource extraction jobs have ended, Montana young people must leave, or get jobs as servants for the California Carpetbaggers, who have nearly singlehandedly destroyed agriculture in the state by driving up real estate prices beyond the capacity of agriculture to support. Read the first chapter of Collapse.
When I'd go go Idaho as a kid I'd have to identify myself as a member of a locally known family or else I'd get the "you're from CA" shtick. Fortunately they saw my grandpa in me most of the time anyway.

They still don't like them CA carpetbaggers. That's a minor sticking point in my "Move to Montana!" campaign. The only person I actually asked, TVC, doesn't want to move. I am 0 for 1.

Last edited by Senno; 02-15-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Trample the best spots with tacky housing and strip malls. Throw down some haphazard freeways to encourage commuting from every lovely valley and dale.

Imagine how happy Montanans will be when their state goes from this . . .

BEFORE:

To this . . .

AFTER:

Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

BEFORE:

To this . . .

AFTER:

Would you mind photoshopping in snow so any Californians who might be looking to move get the full winter effect? Truth in advertising is important in my "Move to Montana!" campaign.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

BEFORE:

To this . . .

AFTER:

Well, there goes the neighborhood, eh?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Would you mind photoshopping in snow so any Californians who might be looking to move get the full winter effect? Truth in advertising is important in my "Move to Montana!" campaign.
Hey! That's Montana in the Summer If people aren't smart enough to visit a state during the worst part of the year (to get the full effect), they deserve whatever they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, there goes the neighborhood, eh?
Dang right! Happens everywhere and it will be a sad day when it happens there. That has to be one of the prettiest states in the nation and the reason is lack of humans ruining it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California