Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 16,941 times

Advertisements

Can't believe I can't find the answer to this one.
My daughter is in college in California and has a car with out of state plates on it. Where I live every car has to be inspected each year on a variety of things (lights, safety, emissions, emergency brake, suspension, etc.). In California, as I understand it, you only need emissions inspection.

So what does she need to do to be legal? Get a California smog inspection? The dealer we bought the car from seemed to think she doesn't need to get it inspected at all since it doesn't have Cal. plates on it. I don't want to take his word for it and end up getting a ticket.

Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,709 times
Take a look at this info from the CA DMV regarding vehicles operated by non-resident students:
12.020 Nonresident Privileges/Reciprocity

You will see the information that applies to your situation about half way down. If she meets the requirements for the exemption then there's basically nothing you need to do other than keep the vehicle properly registered in your home state - that changes when she reaches age 24.
The only annual inspection here in CA is the smog check - remarkable for this state!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
As a student she does not need to register the car in the state or get any inspection, not even a smog check.

I don't see why that is so 'remarkable' for California.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,709 times
Ok, I'll spell it out for you - Uuh, right nothing remarkable about the exemption as I posted it for all to see. the OP questioned the lack of some type of vehicle inspection that many states require. I simply commented on the lack of such a requirement here in CA as our legislators seemingly never miss a chance to pass yet another law. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming....

Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 16,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
As a student she does not need to register the car in the state or get any inspection, not even a smog check.

I don't see why that is so 'remarkable' for California.
It actually does seem remarkable to me because it's something I have just come to expect over the years. It's also a good source of revenue for the state and I am surprised they wouldn't go for it. We pay around $30 here in Massachusetts for an inspection that takes about 20 minutes. Everybody has to get it done once a year.

It's also good for safety reasons because I've found out about suspension problems during an inspection that I could get fixed before a wheel fell off. I think a lot of people tend to not notice that their tires are bald. I've sometimes been amazed at the cars I see driving around Los Angeles that would get yanked off the road in my state.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,435 times
If the student were to establish residency they would pay resident tuition John. Which is cheaper than out of state.

SD has the link for the answer to your original question.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Take a look at this info from the CA DMV regarding vehicles operated by non-resident students:
12.020 Nonresident Privileges/Reciprocity
Correct - good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: