Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Dear Mr. Grammar,

You forgot a question mark.

You also seem to like using commas where it would be more appropriate to use a period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM

California is not the great state it once was. Time for people to wake up and realize that. I was born in this state, but I'm not going to pretend like everything is peachy keen like many others.

It looks like Texas is the new "California" . Sorry.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
.highnlite----Originally Posted by jm1982 It makes sense that companies would move if they could. Costs will be lower out of state and they can pay people less?????????? , real estate either leasing or buying is probably going to be a fraction of CA .

"Jake, we are moving the company to Texas, we want you there. You pay will be 70% of what you made here"

"Gee Boss, that is awfully swell of you"
You still do not get it do you.

When we look at the median income in cities around the nation with the top 16 and the bottom 16 after adjusting for cost of living we find the following.

Cost of Living Can Significantly Affect "Real" Median Household Income

Note 3 of the top 16 are in Texas, and none are in California.

When you look at the bottom 16 in the nation, several are in California including San Francisco and San Diego and none are in Texas.

When you look into it, they can pay the workers in Texas less money than in California, and after the income is adjusted for cost of living, the Texas workers make more spendable money than they do in
California. At the median income for each state, Texas sure come out ahead of San Francisco, San Diego and other high pay areas of California.

Low pay businesses such as retail stores, restaurants, and hospitality businesses cannot expect to move to earn more money. But most other types of businesses can. You can cut your operating costs by about 40% and sometimes more by moving from Los Angeles to Texas. And that 40% immediately moves to your bottom line as profit. A low profit business can become a high profit business by moving. Workers can move to Texas and other states, and increase their real buying power. This includes places like Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Ohio, and as shown move from San Diego or San Francisco, and you can move almost anywhere and come out ahead.

FACT: A lot of well trained IT people as an example earn Silicon Valley wages when they move to places like Montana (I know several including my daughter). They get solicited to go back to Silicon Valley and other places. They are getting as much or more here, than they would in California. The thing is my daughter would have to increase her Silicon Valley type wages (well over $100K), by 158% to have the same buying power in the Silicon Valley where she was raised.

You and some others keep saying that people in Texas and other places make so much less money than in California. The fact is California wages are just Monopoly Money, with out the buying power less money buys them other places.

Lets compare the lowest priced single family home in Cupertino Ca. (Where I raised my family) listed in the MLS.

10140 Santa Clara Ave Cupertino CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #81304008 - Realtor.com®

Compare the lowest priced single family home on the MLS in Austin, Texas, the Texas version of Silicon Valley.

8212 Barton Club Dr Austin TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #8525672 - Realtor.com®

When you hit $200,000 you have had a choice of over 750 homes, and at this price it is less than 1/3rd of what the cheapest home in Cupertino costs today. This is a possibility.

1912 Ralph Cox Rd Austin TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #4050699 - Realtor.com®

This is why young and middle age family men and women are fleeing California for places like Texas.

They are looking for a place, that they will have more true disposable income to support their family. Where they can buy a decent home they can afford in a decent area of town. Things that they are being denied in California with it's crazy taxes, extreme cost of living, homes priced out of their reach. Looking for better schools, as they cannot afford to live where there are decent schools in California. Looking for a place where the unemployment rate is not so through the roof. In other words, moving to where they can have a better future for their families.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
I guess it's understandable that Texas, Montana and North Dakota boosters would have no concept of supply, demand and desirbility. In their minds Dallas is a better city than London or Tokyo because housing is cheaper.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
California is not the great state it once was. Time for people to wake up and realize that. I was born in this state, but I'm not going to pretend like everything is peachy keen like many others.

It looks like Texas is the new "California" . Sorry.
Don't even kid yourself. If CA real estate suddenly dropped to Texas levels, the population would hit 50 million within five years. Its already the most populous state by a large margin, DESPITE being expensive.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM

oldtrader,

Very good points.

Paying 700k for a 2bedroom house just seems insane. I know there is a lot of money in silicon valley..but still.

The prices in L.A in a "decent" area are also pretty much the same.

Average salaries in L.A just aren't high enough .

Most of the homes in the most desirable areas owned by people that bought decades ago before homes appreciated so much.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Most populous doesn't mean anything ...China and India are also extremely populous too.

If the population of CA being high was such a great thing why has it gotten to the point where cities can't provide basic services or basic services are being threatened?

With state income tax and high sales taxes and expensive homes and so many rich people , why is this happening?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 PM

444 posts, read 665,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I guess it's understandable that Texas, Montana and North Dakota boosters would have no concept of supply, demand and desirbility. In their minds Dallas is a better city than London or Tokyo because housing is cheaper.
In their minds, North Dakota or Montana or Texas is better because it is cheaper. It's like saying a used 1994 Honda Civic is better than a brand new BMW M3 . . .because it is cheaper.

38 million people living in California while it gains the 2nd most residents net per year while maintaining one of the nation's highest household median incomes in the nation. It's gettin pretty crowded here. So yes, Texas and Montana, please have our tired, old people who yearn for cheaper pastures. Make room for the more ambitious, more optimistic individuals and their families so they can continue to give California that fresh, new mindset.

There's a reason why California is home to places like Silicon Valley and Hollywood and is where the rest of the world looks for new ideas vs a place that's . . . .just cheap.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM

444 posts, read 665,595 times
Quote:

If the population of CA being high was such a great thing why has it gotten to the point where cities can't provide basic services or basic services are being threatened?

With state income tax and high sales taxes and expensive homes and so many rich people , why is this happening?
Yes because this is something only unique to California, right?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Most populous doesn't mean anything ...China and India are also extremely populous too.

MOD CUT

No one has said that CA population being high is a great thing. I recommend reading carefully for comprehension.

High population as a result of immigration from other states and countries (i.e. California), indicates which:
a) good pro-sports teams
b) easy access to cheap fast-food
c) high desirability

High population as a result of domestic birth rate (i.e. China and India) means which:
a) lack of easy access to birth control
b) an adult population that likes to screw
c) both a) and b)

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-03-2013 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California