Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
Yeah, see, you think you're joking. I could only do 3 days of snow if everything closed down and I could stay home.
In Oklahoma, if a snowstorm comes, the state closes. Churches cancel, all but emergency government offices close, businesses take the day off, schools close, and the day before hospitals discharge anyone they can so they'll have room in case its needed. The legendary Christmas Eve Blizard of 09 taught those in charge to shut the roads early since it arrived hours early and there were hundreds of people stuck on the highways that had to be rescued.

I'm guessing this is how it goes in the bordering areas to the east given such storms are not that common and cities don't have the level of equiptment some place like Minnesota would have.

That storm, there was so much snow piled in front of the screen door, I couldn't get out that way and had to try to go around the back to take pictures of the icycles hanging to the ground off the roof.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I keep seeing the California Cheerleaders that run down other places in the U.S., especially in the South. They keep saying that Californians are so much smarter, etc. Lets look at the FACTS.

Fact: California is full of Illiterate People, and leads the pack for illiteracy around the U.S.

Go to this Site by National Center for Education Statistics, and click on California. You will find that 23% of the people in California are Illiterate. Check other states such as Tennessee which some try to make sound backwards and only 13% of the people are illiterate.

ttp://nces.ed.gov/naal/estimates/stateestimates.aspx

Top Cities for Literacy. Best in California 12th place for San Francisco, but as you move down the peninsula to San Jose it is in 56th place, San Diego was second best in California at 33rd place.

Central Connecticut State University (CCSU): Overall Rankings

California Literacy Rate Tumbles, Symptom of State's Education Ills? | California Progress Report

Capitol Alert: California's literacy drops in national rankings

Math and Science literacy and education considered the most important measure of a states education, California is 34th out of 50.

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

It has gotten worse in California for a long time now, year after year.

Maybe one reason is that California has the highest number of students per teacher rate in the U.S.
I want to see a contest between the cheerleaders and the guy in the Oklahoma thread complaining that we're ruining the state, at least we will, and wondering why we'd come there. Every steriotype you've ever heard of on BOTH sides.

Basically, when you move to a new place, it will be different. You should be aware of that and allow it to be. You may choose to influence as you add yourself, but its a safe bet if someone expect a mirror of where they were, no matter how close, they'll never find it.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If I were living in CA now the only places I'd probably consider fleeing to (not counting where I live now) would be New Mexico, France, or Italy. I might consider Spain or Portugal but haven't been yet. The rest of the U.S. has low appeal. However, at this stage in life I don't think I'd be looking to flee. CA would do just fine.

When I was a teen, the places I recall most people wanted to flee to from SoCal, at least those around my age, were Seattle (aka Emerald City) and Colorado. Within the state many seemed to want to head to Cambria and other spots along the central coast.
My desire to move from socal was long standing. We had plans to move up near Lassen once, but nobody was buying and we had to sell. I'd go there if I went back. It would have old bad memories attached, but it would still be beautiful and have beautiful trees. If I got down the hill only rarely I now know I'd be perfectly happy.

I've long wanted to visit Britan and go to Cornwall, and see Australia. Unless a large wad drops on me some way I won't but I've never really wanted to live outside of the US. I'd never be one of those people who went to some place like Panama since its soooo cheap. But now, if I could remake my move, I'd go closer to Tulsa in the ne corner, and I'd look outside city limits. Of course coming from a place with 3 million plus in the city and multiple of that in continuous blob, it sounds odd to call some 9k a city. But they think like one. Of course I'm doing the house just for me and wouldn't want to leave it and I love my trees.

I consider it a very lucky accident that at just the same time I was really ready to go and could, my friend talked me into visiting, and then the apartment sold the day I looked. It was a sign. Rent did automatically go up almost a third across the board within a month. I never would have considered here if I hadn't come.

And for those who wonder why anyone would move to here, I'm happy for you not to. The spot is there for all of us. Not fair saying only yours is a good one.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I personally would like to retire in Tasmania

No pun intended!
First of all I still need to know exactly how smelly San Antonio is.

Second, learn me something about Tasmania. It just landed on my "possible" retirement village list. I'm afraid I won't be up for building a log cabin there.

Don't even say it or do it. (Inside joke, I may have dm'd some with TVC, but I never betray a ladies trust twice. I did it the first time by figuring out TVC is a bit older than I am.)

Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 7,045 times
Getting sick of all the ridiculous laws and regulations, especially those concerning pets and wildlife. We really have some nutjobs up there in sac.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 23,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Bulldog was kind enough to provide a link to a list of all states Californians emmigrate to, ranked by order. The top five are:
1. Texas
2. Arizona
3. Nevada
4. Oregon
5. Washington
I love California so I would never "flee" it. Oregon (only been to Portland area) is nice but I can't stand the cold weather. I have no interest in the other states in the top 5.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well okay then.
How about Delaware?
In July, a Calfornian would love the state beaches there. You can take your dog (and let him off the leash), have a campfire and throw a fishing line out into the surf. Plus the water would be about 10 degrees warmer than in SoCal. Right now in February? Not so much.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Once upon a time my ex and I considedered Oregon or Washington. It's probably a good thing we didn't. Neither are rain fans, and my son just recently returned form up there. He said you have a daily misty rain. Since he was out a lot, he said he was never really dry. I'd probably like the greenery and the people but the rain would drive me away.

Interestingly, when I moved, I went from a hot somewhat humid summer to a hot somewhat humid summer, santa ana winds to the usual winds gusting over the plains (I still call them santa ana's) and the odd way inbetween winter days we have spring pop in now and then. If I wanted city, I'd look towards Tulsa, but had a friend who lives here and found what was destined to be my house for a sliver of the cost, and have no regrets.

Before you retire, identify places you'd like to live, and take a trip there just to see the area. And go to where the locals go and see how they are and maybe one of them will just say yes, found it.
We have happily lived here in southwest Oregon, on the side of a beautiful forested mountain, for about five lustrum. We usually get from 20 inches to 30 inches of rain yearly.It's just enough to keep our forests green, & the water drainages (waterways, lakes, rivers) close to full.

We are at 2000', & get many partial sunshine days even in the winter.The sun is shining now...

We used to live close to Monterey. We always had our Dream, to live in the mountains, out in the country, with a basspond. Dreams do come true.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We have happily lived here in southwest Oregon, on the side of a beautiful forested mountain, for about five lustrum. We usually get from 20 inches to 30 inches of rain yearly.It's just enough to keep our forests green, & the water drainages (waterways, lakes, rivers) close to full.

We are at 2000', & get many partial sunshine days even in the winter.The sun is shining now...

We used to live close to Monterey. We always had our Dream, to live in the mountains, out in the country, with a basspond. Dreams do come true.
Y'all didn't like Bass Lake?

MY ex-wifes uncle has that in Springville up above Porterville.

Bass Lake Tourism and Vacations: things to do in Bass Lake, CA | TripAdvisor

--------------------------

For some reason I think ol' Waylon's singing about Californians moving to TN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKqvBAP4f3w

"We was kinda testing the sense of humor of Nashville, to see if those hillbilly stars that live there still have a sense of humor about themselves." - Waylon Jennings.

Last edited by Senno; 02-25-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Y'all didn't like Bass Lake?

Bass Lake Tourism and Vacations: things to do in Bass Lake, CA | TripAdvisor

For some reason I think ol' Waylon's singing about Californians moving to TN...

WAYLON JENNINGS - If Ol' Hank Could See Us Now - YouTube

"We was kinda testing the sense of humor of Nashville, to see if those hillbilly stars that live there still have a sense of humor about themselves." - Waylon Jennings.
One of our favorite fishin' holes/campin has been Camanche south shore...

Lake Camanche Recreation, Central California: Fishing, Boating, Camping, Cottages, RVing

I'm a Waylon fan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California