Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times

Advertisements

"Fresno" the miniseries has that effect on many people.

"Fresno" 1986 mini series "Tastes Like Fresno" opening - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Hey, I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, so I know all about Sweden............

Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweToUs View Post
But of course i will finish school here in sweden, and i will continue 3 more years after school, and might more after that depending what kind of work i will focus on.
One word, just one word: Computers.

Go get a degree in CS and you'll stand a much better chance of being employable here in California. San Francisco in particular is crawling with expat Europeans earning big bucks at Silicon Valley software companies.

Or you can move here with no degree and no money and try your luck on Santa Monica Boulevard. It's up to you.

But in all seriousness, you might start by getting in touch with the Swedish community here in California. Maybe these folks could help:

http://www.swedishcenter.org/

Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Thank you all for so much info, and putting time in to this.
My friends and my family are very supportive with this and they all know how much i really want this, and how much i've been talking about moving/study in the USA since i was a little kid.
I really want to study there also, but i know it will cost alot, but i don't know exactly how much, but i really wanna find out that.

Like when i watch shows etc that is placed in CA, it feels like, it feels like a good place where i can live.
I have also been thinking about taking some acting classes in LA too.
I really don't know what kind of work i can work with there, but any job there, that can make afford an apartment,shopping and just enjoy CA would be great.
But of course i will finish school here in sweden, and i will continue 3 more years after school, and might more after that depending what kind of work i will focus on.

I also have been thinking about Florida too, it feels like CA or FL, but i will focus more on CA at first.
Another idea is to finish school here, go to the US and work with something for a year there, to find a good place where i enjoy and can consider to live in the CA.

And i know moving to the USA, is the right decision for me, and i really want to move there, and start my life there when im young.
1) I think it's great you want to experience life in foreign countries. I wish more people in the US had that drive. I was fortunate enough to move to Australia for a couple years when I was in high school, which was a great experience.

2) You should either attend school here for the full four years or do a study abroad program through your school in Sweden. This will also give you an opportunity to explore parts of the US more, so you can find which areas your like most, in case you want to pursue a more long term stay in the future. The most in demand career in the US is COMPUTER SCIENCE. There aren't enough qualified Americans with this degree, so you should consider that major.

3) You really will be in shock when you arrive in LA if you think it is anything like the shows OC, Laguna Beach, The Hills etc. These kind of areas make up a very small part of the LA and is definitely not what you'll experience unless you are a millionaire. As I mentioned before, South Florida (West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach) will be closer to your expectations of LA, but you will need a car. You really will need a car in LA too unless you live on campus. You should also consider San Diego, I think it is closer to the image foreigners have of LA.

4) I'm not sure if you are familiar with the "street view" function on Google Maps, but it's a good way to see what cities actually look like. Enter the city you want to see, zoom in the area you want to see, click and drag the "small orange person" on the left side of the screen and place him on the street you want to see. Google Maps

Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Hey, I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, so I know all about Sweden............
Didn't make ya want to move there did it?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Thank you all for so much info, and putting time in to this.
My friends and my family are very supportive with this and they all know how much i really want this, and how much i've been talking about moving/study in the USA since i was a little kid.
I really want to study there also, but i know it will cost alot, but i don't know exactly how much, but i really wanna find out that.

Like when i watch shows etc that is placed in CA, it feels like, it feels like a good place where i can live.
I have also been thinking about taking some acting classes in LA too.
I really don't know what kind of work i can work with there, but any job there, that can make afford an apartment,shopping and just enjoy CA would be great.

I also have been thinking about Florida too, it feels like CA or FL, but i will focus more on CA at first.
Another idea is to finish school here, go to the US and work with something for a year there, to find a good place where i enjoy and can consider to live in the CA.

And i know moving to the USA, is the right decision for me, and i really want to move there, and start my life there when im young.
ok, so you know this is the right move for you: sounds like you are basing a lot on what you see on TV and in the movies.

If you are sure this is right and what a teen thinks is right, often is a dream only, but that is a whole other story. You need to either find a company that will hire you so you can get a work visa or get accepted as a foreign exchange student. These are the only ways you can come to America. Do you have any idea how many people are waiting in line to come to our country?

Dreaming is one thing, having your dream become a reality is something different. I would also visit for a couple of weeks or a month if you have any family or friends in America or come with a friend. Of course that will take thousands of $$s just to visit. Oh I will add, to really see what Ca or America is like, you will need a car and a drivers license...Even renting a car while visiting you have to be 25 or be willing to pay maybe $100 a day.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
You will love LA at the beginning because of the weather. Then if you don't have a good job and live in a bad neighborhood, you might even get depressed. I also think Miami might be a better choice. It's closer to Europe, it's a lot cheaper and has warm ocean. But moving to the US is not as easy as moving to another country in the EU or another state in the US. You need a visa or a green card. Otherwise you are not allowed to work and even stay for more than 3-6 months.

Last edited by Botev1912; 03-05-2013 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
These are the only ways you can come to America.
There is another way: marry a U.S. citizen of the opposite sex.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
There is another way: marry a U.S. citizen of the opposite sex.
never thought of that one:

Botev: getting a green card can take years, the OP will be a grandparent by the time this happens I am gurssing...

Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 8,606 times
Thank you so much guys! All your information is important, and i just love the way some of you really trying to help me out with this!
I will consider San Diego and Miami, and probably when i move to the US, i will first stay in either San Diego or Florida for a while and hopefully visit LA and look if LA is something for me and hopefully i'll find a place in LA where i enjoy to stay and can consider to live and build a family there!
I will do eveything you guys have told me to do, and if you have anything else you'd like to say, please just make a reply!

Big regards,
SweToUs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California