Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 AM

54 posts, read 125,321 times

Advertisements

I am a 58 year old "young" retiree in excellent health with no spouse or children, and have been to both areas for a look around. Basically I'd like to hear from those of you familiar with both areas. What are the people in general like in each area? Snob factor? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
The main difference is $$$! Monterey is much more desirable and much more expensive.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
They are both nice areas but quite different. It really depends on what you are looking for. So what are some main things you look forward to doing in your new location and what qualities are you looking for? Obviously one is closer to the coast and provides a lot more to do in that regard while the other is basically in wine country. I have family near Petaluma in Santa Rosa. They are retired up there and enjoy it very much. Is housing or cost an issue at all?

I think snob factor varies where you hang out in the Monterey area. For example I only really notice a snobby attitude when I walk around Carmel art galleries or around the Pebble Beach resort. Though in both places I still enjoy eating out or going to the beach. Spanish Bay in Pebble beach has some great restaurants. Its not like everyone is snubbing you when you are out going for a walk or anything. Monterey itself has too much of an international culture to be snobby. With all of the people from around the world it feels more like an international city.

My uncle who is also retired lived in Petaluma and generally liked it. Though I don't have any first hand experience in living there.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
A beautiful coastal location, high-end residents vs. chicken farms?? Really? No contest. Monterrey would have cooler weather, too. More expensive though, as has already been noted.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
^^^chicken farms? what part of petaluma have you been in? petaluma USED to be full of farm animals, but not anymore. the farms have all but disappeared & now petaluma is home to those who are trying to escape the marin/san fran rat race.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
If you have the funds Monterey is the better spot to be. Not to say Petaluma isn't very nice - it is. Monterey is sublime.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. My funds are not unlimited, and I notice several rentals in pacific grove in the $1400 range. I love to hike, and the area seems amazing for that. Petaluma has nice parks nearby, but the ocean is about 45 minutes away.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow man View Post
Thanks for the replies. My funds are not unlimited, and I notice several rentals in pacific grove in the $1400 range. I love to hike, and the area seems amazing for that. Petaluma has nice parks nearby, but the ocean is about 45 minutes away.
I would go for the place you think you will enjoy the most, as long as you can swing it within your budget of course. Monterey is a spectacular place to live and if you like hiking I don't think there is any comparison. Not only do you have great local trails right along the coast but within a relatively short drive you have one of the top scenic wonders of the West Coast in Big Sur. What a place to be retired, enjoy and explore!

Derek

Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
I lived/worked in Monterey for a decade and its one of the best places in the state. If you're renting and can afford around $1,500 you can get a pretty nice one bedroom on the peninsula. I was fortunate enough to get a brand new apartment in Cannery Row for less than 1K (but I moved away in 2008 so there's no telling what it is now). It was very small, but I was rarely home to worry about it! Too many beaches and walking paths nearby.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Great info. Thanks. I'm making a pilgrimage in early April to scout out rentals and get better acquainted with the area. Would even like to meet those of you who have posted to me for a beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California