Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 AM

347 posts, read 1,277,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
My question is, do you get sick of the year round warmth and sun, and virtually no change in seasons?

Thank you in advance.
I'm a New England transplant.

After 20 years in SoCal, YES. I'm bored with sunny days. I love cloudy or rainy days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 PM

6,881 posts, read 8,220,720 times
Sacramento summer mornings are more like the Bay Area and on par with than the Pacific Northwest, not the Southwest, nor the rest of the Central Valley. Really, yes really......and much much cooler than Fresno, Phx, Vegas and Texas cities.

August 2013 Data: These numbers are consistent with 30-40 year averages.

Coolest to Least Coolest A.M. temps in the summer

Number of Mornings in the 50’s in the summer:

San Francisco: 31 days
Oakland: 22 days
San Jose: 18 days
Sacramento: 17 days

Portland: 8 days
Seattle: 3 days
Los Angeles: 2 days
San Diego: 0 days, but cools into the low 60's in the mornings.

Fresno: 0 days
Austin, Dallas, Vegas, Phx: 0 days, rarely cools below 75 in the morning in the summer.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:22 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,174,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sorry but anyone who groups Sacramento with the desert or the rest of the Central Valley and calls our summer "severe" needs to be corrected. Here we go again, coastal Californians pumping misinformation about Sacramento weather.

Sacramento summer weather has more comfortable-tolerable days, nights and mornings than most of the USA. Sacramento has the perfect humidity levels for temps in the 80's, 90's and high temps - 10-25%, neither bone dry, nor humid. Our humidity levels bring our heat index down 3-10 degrees on average in the summer. Most of the USA experiences higher heat indexes than Sacramento on average throughout the summer.

If fact, it cools so much on a typical summer night in Sacramento that our low summer temps are on par with the Pacific northwest(Seattle/Portland) not the southwest(Vegas/Phx).

Salinas/Monterey for many people is just too darn "cold" in the summer, rarely gets above 70 in the middle of the summer, too much fog and low clouds, rarely a full day of sunshine in the 80's/90's

Sacramento has 320 days of sunshine a year - now that might be too much for some - but we just head 1 hour southwest to the Bay Area if we want low clouds and fog in the summer.

90 in Sacramento, feels more like 84 on average and it cools in the evening and night into the high 50's with very comfortable mornings in the summer on average.
I consider 70-75 ideal in the summer and would not mind if it never got above 85. I wouldn't mind 70 every day (wishful thinking, but this area comes close). There are people that would agree with you about Sacramento not having severe summer heat. I actually put the desert communities in a much worse "intolerable" category and Sacramento in "severe". I guess I could have just said "hot",...was not meaning to offend. It is all relative. If one is used to temps in the 85-100 range then Sacramento does not qualify as extremely hot. If you are used to temps in the mid-60's to about 80 in the summer (and much more often at that lower end then the upper), then it does feel hot.

Yes, the Bay Area offers some microclimates not too far away.

Anyways, Happy New Year to you and everyone else!

Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,174,063 times
Regarding Sacramento again, I would much rather live there for the weather than Fresno. Fresno is too far away to get the occasional delta breeze that Sacto gets and seldom cools even late at night in the summer.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I consider 70-75 ideal in the summer and would not mind if it never got above 85. I wouldn't mind 70 every day (wishful thinking, but this area comes close). There are people that would agree with you about Sacramento not having severe summer heat. I actually put the desert communities in a much worse "intolerable" category and Sacramento in "severe". I guess I could have just said "hot",...was not meaning to offend. It is all relative. If one is used to temps in the 85-100 range then Sacramento does not qualify as extremely hot. If you are used to temps in the mid-60's to about 80 in the summer (and much more often at that lower end then the upper), then it does feel hot.

Yes, the Bay Area offers some microclimates not too far away.

Anyways, Happy New Year to you and everyone else!
Thanks for the clarification, I knew where you were coming from.

But it's time that people know how good/great Sacramento weather instead hearing it from the perspective of coastal Californians.

Like I've said before, the next best weather in the country besides coastal California is right here in Sacramento.

Best - meaning comfortable summer evenings, nights and mornings. Dry heat over humid heat regarding high temps in the summer. Comfortable temps across a 24hr period - not just what the high temp was for the day.

Best - meaning no snow nor sub-freezing weather, but moderate amounts of rain to keep at least half the year naturally green, and rivers, lakes and streams full.

Best - meaning beautiful autumns and stormless spring weather.

Best - at least 75% full sunny, clear weather at least 275 days of the year.

Sacramento meets all of that criteria and bests coastal California when comes to beautiful colorful Autumns.

Bonne Année/Happy New Year!!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM

3,444 posts, read 5,230,993 times
I have to agree - with almost as much sunshine as Las Vegas, and certainly more than even coastal SoCal (not year round, but overall), and really comfortable temps 10 months out of the year, I think Sacramento has some of the best weather in the world! In fact, it's the sunniest place in the world in summertime.

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I knew where you were coming from.

But it's time that people know how good/great Sacramento weather instead hearing it from the perspective of coastal Californians.

Like I've said before, the next best weather in the country besides coastal California is right here in Sacramento.

Best - meaning comfortable summer evenings, nights and mornings. Dry heat over humid heat regarding high temps in the summer. Comfortable temps across a 24hr period - not just what the high temp was for the day.

Best - meaning no snow nor sub-freezing weather, but moderate amounts of rain to keep at least half the year naturally green, and rivers, lakes and streams full.

Best - meaning beautiful autumns and stormless spring weather.

Best - at least 75% full sunny, clear weather at least 275 days of the year.

Sacramento meets all of that criteria and bests coastal California when comes to beautiful colorful Autumns.

Bonne Année/Happy New Year!!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 AM

3,444 posts, read 5,230,993 times
Actually, the below numbers can't possibly be consistent with 30-40 year averages. Only 1 day above 90 in LA the whole month? And only 13 in Sacramento, when the average high temp is around 94? That should make the average number of 90+ days closer to a full month. Even the inland East Bay usually gets about 15 or 16 days a month above 90 in the summertime. July 2013 was well below average on the temps in much of California.

Quote:
Number of Days where High Temp was 90 degrees or more, adjusted by Heat Index:

July 2013 data: These numbers are consistent with 30-40 year averages throughout the summer months.

31 days - Fresno, CA
30 days - Austin, TX
29 days - Dallas, TX
29 days - Orlando, FL

18 days - Washington, D.C.
15 days - St. Louis, MO
13 days - Sacramento, CA
8 days - Pasadena, CA
3 days - Portland, OR

2 days - San Jose, CA
1 day - Seattle, WA
1 day - Los Angeles, CA

Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Actually, the below numbers can't possibly be consistent with 30-40 year averages. Only 1 day above 90 in LA the whole month? And only 13 in Sacramento, when the average high temp is around 94? That should make the average number of 90+ days closer to a full month. Even the inland East Bay usually gets about 15 or 16 days a month above 90 in the summertime. July 2013 was well below average on the temps in much of California.
These numbers are HEAT INDEXES for cities where the heat index actually increases or decreases the temps, and they are consistent with 30-40 year averages.

Sacramento overall summer high temp averages 89-92 with 10-20% humidity, adjusted by heat index brings it to down 3-5 degrees, so Sacramento high temps/heat index(comfort levels) is in the mid 80's overall, on average, in the summer

East-East Bay - Walnut Creek/Concord is almost the same as SAC, sometimes a few degrees cooler, but sometimes hotter because they may not get a direct hit from the Bay/Delta Breeze(cool-moist-wind).

LA - Downtown/West - rarely gets up to 90 in the summer; they are 10 miles from the cool Pacific. LA's is usually in the low 70's to low 80's in the summer. And, West LA/Santa Monica/Directly on the coast is 5-10 degrees cooler than downtown. LA has "perfect" weather.

LA - San Fernando Valley/San Gabriel Valleys/Pasadena is more like Sacramento but with a more consistent daily pattern of low clouds/marine layer affect in the mornings and evenings in the summer.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-01-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 01:20 PM

Sidenote:

LA, almost like clock work, will get a week or 2 of high temps nearing 90 in the middle of winter - something that just doesn't happen in NorCal/Bay Area/Sacramento in the winter mostly because we are just far enough north, and LA gets a strong off-shore pattern that can bring these warm dry temps into the SouthLand.

If the pattern is really strong, the off-shore wind picks-up strength and is known as Santa Ana winds. This off-shore pattern almost never exists in the middle of the summer. This pattern is the opposite of the On-shore pattern that exists in the spring-summer.

When the Southland-LA "should be" hot in the summer, the cool Pacific keeps it's temps almost perfect 70's to low 80's. When the Southland-LA "should be" cold in the winter, the Pacific along with LA's latitude, and increased potential for an OFF-Shore pattern keeps it "moderate" and sometimes "warm-hot" with temps in the high 80's to 90+. Perfect weather!

These are averages and typical weather, deviations from this norm do occur like anywhere else.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-01-2014 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM

SACRAMENTO is the Sunniest major metro* in California, and 3rd sunniest in the USA.

1. SACRAMENTO
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. San Francisco

*major metro is at least 1.2 million MSA in 2010

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-03-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California