Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times

Advertisements

Until I'm ready to buy a home again, I'll be in a rental. I'm a single female with a potentially soon-to-be unhinged ex. While I realize there are more things to consider with an unhinged ex than the security of your home, what I'm wondering right now is specifically how to secure my rental, within reason, of course. (Yes, I know if someone wants to get to you, they will, but I also don't want to hand them the key.) So, with that said...

1. Windows
Many SoCal rentals seem to have windows that slide horizontally vs vertically to open. I know tricks to secure a window that opens vertically like I'm used to in MD, but not what to do for the more common horizontal windows found in SoCal (especially on a rental, as I won't be able to do the permanent features I've installed in my home). Any suggestions?

2. Doors
It's been well over a decade since I've lived in a rental but one of those last renting experiences was disconcerting. I was interviewing roommates, declined one, yet he later convinced the property management of a large well-known chain to give him the key to my apartment, insisting he was my new roommate and was locked out. I came home to unknowingly find a strange man in my home waiting for me. I promptly broke my lease and moved out. I never want to feel that vulnerable again.

This time around, I won't be living with a roommate, but I also no longer trust the judgement of property management. I know I'm not allowed, as a renter, to change the locks on the doors to my rental, but what *can* I do to ensure that no one is gaining access to my apartment except me?

3. Cameras
Any suggestions for camera options that aren't permanent installions like I'd do on my home, but more fitting for a rental?

4. Other
Any other suggestions to secure a rental, safe enough for a single female with a potentially unhinged ex?

I'm sure these seem like elementary questions, but given I haven't rented in so long, I haven't the faintest idea how to secure a rental as the rules are a lot different than when you're a homeowner and also between states, I'd imagine.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
For the windows you can buy little clamps that screw (with a thumbscrew) onto the track at any place you want to put it. They look better than a long wooden stick, and you can change how far the window slides open whenever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
This time around, I won't be living with a roommate, but I also no longer trust the judgement of property management. I know I'm not allowed, as a renter, to change the locks on the doors to my rental, but what *can* I do to ensure that no one is gaining access to my apartment except me?
1. Rent from a private party landlord. I'm one of those, and I can assure you that key scam wouldn't fly with me. Nothing gets by me.
2. The best you can do is install your own deadbolt. I seldom have keys to my rentals once they're rented. (they're SFRs).

Last edited by Fontucky; 12-29-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
For the windows you can buy little clamps that screw (with a thumbscrew) onto the track at any place you want to put it. They look better than a long wooden stick, and you can change how far the window slides open whenever you want.
Googling this now. Thanks for the tip!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Sorry to hear about the ex from hell. Here are a few suggestions:

1. I second what Fontucky said about the little clamps. They are inexpensive and can easily be found at Home Depot or Lowes. Put them on your windows and at your patio door. You can also purchase portable little alarm devices to place at your door and windows.
2. Give the landlord explicit written instructions that no one else is to ever have a key to your apartment, or enter the premises without your written permission.
3. Move to a dog-friendly complex and get a big dog. Unfortunately, not very many of them accept German Shepherds. They're loyal and scare the sheet out of potential evildoers.
4. Make friends with your neighbors. Maybe some will work at home. They'll let you know if a stalker comes around when you are away.
5. Don't hesitate to call the cops if the numbskull makes harassing phone calls, sends threatening letters, or appears uninvited on your doorstep. I think OC (and probably other CA areas) has a category for this called "Terrorist Threats."
6. There's the obvious of not listing your phone number.
7. You might want to try a company which claims it can clear information about you from the internet. Otherwise, a simple check could lead the loon straight to your doorstep.
8. Keep a radio playing while you are away to give the appearance of the place being occupied.
9. Place some sort of valuable item ( maybe a ten dollar bill) inside in a spot near the entry. If it has been moved, then you'll know that someone has been in your place.
10. Never open the door to uninvited guests, either male or female. If they weren't courteous enough to call you in advance, then they can stand out there until hell freezes over.

Last edited by pacific2; 12-29-2012 at 11:52 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM

I would suggest renting a condo in a gated community if I thought it would help, but all too often unauthorized cars piggy-back residents' vehicles in order to gain access.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Here are the locks that Fontucky described Amazon.com: NEW White Double Thumbscrew Window Lock: Home Improvement
As for the cameras, many manufacturers make cheap portable cameras. These are popular Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Camera

You can view, pan, tilt, listen, and speak to the camera from a phone or browser. There is software that can alert you and/or start recording when there is motion and save a copy offsite (such as DropBox or Google Drive) so even if a person realizes there is a camera, it is too late, their image is already offsite.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Make sure your entry door is solid core wood with a deadbolt. Make sure the door jamb is strong enough to withstand extreme force (SOLID WOOD).

If someone were to gain entry to your apt through breaking a window, etc......it would be a good idea to fortify your bathroom in advance. Install a solid wood door, door jamb, deadbolt...

On the inside of door you could probably prop a 2x4" between door & sink counter, put back of chair under doorknob, etc...

Keep a charged phone in your bathroom. Keep a good flashlight here also, etc what you think you might need.

Plan in advance an emergency exit through bathroom window...a rope or rope ladder, etc.

Take some classes for firearm safety.

Pick out a comfortable baseball bat

A lady i know has a sword cane she likes having with her.

Be Safe......

Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,205 times
All tips above are very good ones--along with "Protected by ..." and "Video surveillance" window stickers. (just be careful with motion detector alarms, they tend to go off randomly sometimes and can annoy the neighbors). And lock important documents/sensitive info in a bank's safe box. But I have to say all these measures are lots of effort/time to implement....Why should YOU spend YOUR time and money because of a bad-acting, stalking person? One simple thing can pretty much replace them all: just tell him he's gonna need a toe tag if he comes around your place. I lived previously OK in bad neighborhoods, alone without even locking my windows or doors. Bad ex? Tell him: "YOU are gonna need a restraining order if I see ya around... but it WON'T protect you...."

Back where I grew up people used to set up little explosive devices on their property if they were bothered... it was determined to be illegal later

Last edited by alexxiz; 12-30-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 04:33 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
"potentially soon-to-be unhinged ex"

Potentially? Do you know he will be unhinged? Or is he already?

Some good things already mentioned.

Some things that haven't, maybe more obvious, but maybe more important.

1) Make sure its a safe area - in general - not just from the unhinged dude.
2) Make sure the apt. itself is safe, solid windows with locks, doors, locks. Cheap kwikset locks can be twisted off with pliers by a 13 year old. Doorknobs with thumb locks are for interior doors only, if an exterior apt. door only had such a lock, and the company will not add a deadbolt, move on. Most management companies will allow you to replace exterior locks with better stock as long as you give them a key - which gives you the price of mind that there are no other keys floating around - makes sense if you're staying awhile.
3) Make sure you're not able to be tracked down by him. If you need to communicate with him via mail, telephone, whatever, because of kinds, or other affairs, do so thru a PO box, or un traceable phone. Never allow him to know where you live, or even what neighborhood. Its not terribly difficult to find someone's address, but there are ways to make it harder. Make sure your employer knows not to give anyone your home address, etc.

4) More of a question, and relating to my first post - do you know he is unhinged? Has he already become so? Or has he in the past? Or are we speculating?

Feel free to PM me, I do some of this for a living - and the bad guys have access to the internet too.... lets not give them insight into everything we're doing to keep our homes safe.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM

BTW, one trick used by home invaders is to ring the doorbell and then put their ear down near the bottom of the apartment door to see if they hear rustling or footsteps. If they hear nothing, some assume that no one is home.

I'm not quite sure how to deal with this one unless the doorbell could somehow be attached to an electronic device, which in turn would generate those sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California