Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:20 AM

11 posts, read 201,635 times

Advertisements

Me and my friend are off on a trip around California. The only part we want to drive is from San Fransisco to LA along the Big Sur.
Are there any coastal towns that are approx. mid way that we could stop over night for?
I was thinking of Santa Monica but I think that would be too close to LA, and we want to break the trip up.

Thanks
R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaselva View Post
Me and my friend are off on a trip around California. The only part we want to drive is from San Fransisco to LA along the Big Sur.
Are there any coastal towns that are approx. mid way that we could stop over night for?
I was thinking of Santa Monica but I think that would be too close to LA, and we want to break the trip up.

Thanks
R
I did this on my bike in 1995. Took the Amtrak from Oxnard to SF, $59 for me and $6 for my bike. Cycled home.

I did 80 mile legs: San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Big Sur, San Simeon, Santa Maria, Goleta, Moorpark.

Other places to check out on the way down are Half Moon Bay, Monterey, Carmel, Cambria, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Vandenberg AFB, and Ventura.

These three would be candidates for you: Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach

Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These three would be candidates for you: Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach

Good choices. I especially like Morro Bay or Cambria.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,423,258 times
There are hotels and lodges along the Big Sur road, wonderful places to stay, pricey though. Drive slow stop a lot.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:28 AM

36,631 posts, read 67,203,000 times
I HATE Hy 1 between Carmel and San Simeon.

Its like your 500-1,000 ft up on a narrow two lane road with a steep drop to the ocean on one side and a mountain wall on the other side. Much of that with no barrier btwn you and certain death.

Loathed that drive...people think its cool, I thought it was annoying.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,759,953 times
You should stop in the San Luis Obispo area, which includes Morro Bay (a really cute town mentioned above)... if you're taking the scenic PCH route, the drive takes a lot longer, but will go right past Big Sur - a gorgeous sight. That's about 2+ hours from San Francisco, and then San Luis Obispo is another 2-3 from there. So it's a good mid-way point, since the total drive should be around 7-8 hours?? (I usually take I-5, so this is a guess)

This is more of a thing for lovers, but you can always check into the Madonna Inn - or just take a peek while you're in town: Madonna Inn - San Luis Obispo, California
It's one of those crazy "themed hotels" where you can get a Caveman room, Egyptian room, and stuff like that... really funny! Also visit Hearst Castle if you have time, which is one of the most amazing mansions in California. Have fun & drive safely!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:54 AM

133 posts, read 533,322 times
My family and I did this drive a couple of years ago. My parents and younger brother absolutely loved it, and I did too... for the first fifteen minutes or so. Don't get me wrong, the views are lovely. But turn after turn after turn after turn after turn after turn after turn... ugh... my stomach's turning right now. I have never felt so carsick in all of my life!!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:01 AM

11 posts, read 201,635 times
thanks for all your help guys. it has been most informative!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I HATE Hy 1 between Carmel and San Simeon.

Its like your 500-1,000 ft up on a narrow two lane road with a steep drop to the ocean on one side and a mountain wall on the other side. Much of that with no barrier btwn you and certain death.

Loathed that drive...people think its cool, I thought it was annoying.
It is also better to drive south (as the original poster intends to do) because you have a better view looking down over the ocean.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 AM

499 posts, read 2,150,790 times
the Madonna Inn isn't cheap, and it isn't on the water at all, but it sure is a unique place. If you can, at least have a look at the place, especially as it seems you're having a leisurely drive.

Morro Bay would be a cool place to stop. Be sure to go down to the beach and look at the Rock. Be sure to watch the boats coming in.

18Montclair & part_iv,
I had same opinion as you when I was a little kid and we'd drive that road. My parents loved it, ooh-ing and ahh-ing in the front, meanwhile I'm digging my nails in to the car seat with one hand, reaching for a bag with the other, all the while hoping we don't slip off that cliff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California