Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times

Advertisements

In some ways Bakersfield's economy is no worse or maybe better than much of the state right now.

For example
December 2010 Unemployment Rates
California statewide unemployment rate of 12.5%
Bakersfield city unemployment rate of 11.5% (most people only hear the Kern County rate of 16.2%).

In Chula Vista the Dec unemployment was 11.7%.

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/allsubs.xls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 05:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Seem like y'all done scared the OP away with all that talk and postin' about country music an' sich. Or maybe he figgered out on his own that when it comes to Bakers, there's no there, there.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Seem like y'all done scared the OP away with all that talk and postin' about country music an' sich. Or maybe he figgered out on his own that when it comes to Bakers, there's no there, there.
The OP started this thread in '07.... Someone just revived it from the archives.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
In some ways Bakersfield's economy is no worse or maybe better than much of the state right now.

For example
December 2010 Unemployment Rates
California statewide unemployment rate of 12.5%
Bakersfield city unemployment rate of 11.5% (most people only hear the Kern County rate of 16.2%).

In Chula Vista the Dec unemployment was 11.7%.

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/allsubs.xls

I'll add that it's all relative. The statistics on paper doesn't show the whole picture of Bakersfield's economy. In the business I'm in, we get more business from Los Angeles, Fresno, and Texas. It depends on the industry you're in.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
All i'm gonna say is if your looking for nice affordable homes in California,you'll find them in Bakersfield,because the prices have dropped alot.

Bakersfield is really not that bad like i've said before,but just wanted to bring this up to give people a chance to own a home,since so many parts of CA is pricey.
Yes, I am quite intrigued by Bakersfield, sound like a lot really like it and a lot really hate it.

For me the dealbreaker would be the weather. First year I was in Tucson it was 100 degrees or above a total of 66 days. Caliguy, do you have any idea how many days on average it is 100 degrees or above in Bakersfield???

Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The OP started this thread in '07.... Someone just revived it from the archives.
Dang it! I gotta remember to always check that. Must be senior moments!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM

75 posts, read 319,496 times
I lived in Bakersfield for a short time and have driven through it many times after leaving. My advice is dont do it. You can visit if you want but honestly its not even worth it. Very run down. Come to CA if you want but dont pick such a bummer of a city. It may have been nice at one point but its not now. Last time I drove through I saw homes that didnt have doors and some that didnt even have roofs. That had plastic tarps on them instead. I was on the freeway and I guy who was frightening was coming up to car windows trying to get money. Weather is also too hot and dry and dusty. I have nothing good to say about this city. There is many much choices in CA, although the better they are the more you can expect to pay. You get what you pay for. If something seems to good and affordable to be true, it probably is. However, if you are okay with the run down look and higher crime I can say I never had a problem there with creepy crawly creatures of any kind.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I'll add that it's all relative. The statistics on paper doesn't show the whole picture of Bakersfield's economy. In the business I'm in, we get more business from Los Angeles, Fresno, and Texas. It depends on the industry you're in.
Oh absolutely, but too many people do not even understand that some parts of Bakersfield's economy are actually doing good. They only hear the bad news.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
I lived in Bakersfield for a short time and have driven through it many times after leaving. My advice is dont do it. You can visit if you want but honestly its not even worth it. Very run down. Come to CA if you want but dont pick such a bummer of a city. It may have been nice at one point but its not now. Last time I drove through I saw homes that didnt have doors and some that didnt even have roofs. That had plastic tarps on them instead. I was on the freeway and I guy who was frightening was coming up to car windows trying to get money. Weather is also too hot and dry and dusty. I have nothing good to say about this city. There is many much choices in CA, although the better they are the more you can expect to pay. You get what you pay for. If something seems to good and affordable to be true, it probably is. However, if you are okay with the run down look and higher crime I can say I never had a problem there with creepy crawly creatures of any kind.
That guy on the freeway must be able to run pretty fast to keep up with traffic LOL what freeway were you on?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:49 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,797 times
Yup some like it and some dont...Bakersfield has a lower amount of days over 100 compared to Tucson..In fact even though Bakersfield has hot summers,we occasionally get cooler marine air which makes our summers more tolerable than Tucson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, I am quite intrigued by Bakersfield, sound like a lot really like it and a lot really hate it.

For me the dealbreaker would be the weather. First year I was in Tucson it was 100 degrees or above a total of 66 days. Caliguy, do you have any idea how many days on average it is 100 degrees or above in Bakersfield???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California