Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:08 AM

64 posts, read 280,281 times

Advertisements

I live in Indiana and we are thinking about moving to Bakersfield. We have never been out west and are not sure what the differences are. We have lived several places on the east coast before we moved to the midwest, so I have seen different cultures.
What are housing costs like? (new york)
Are there scoripons and trantulas there?
Any info would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Have you tried reading any of the numerous other threads about Bakersfield? Here's one just a few threads down that's specifically on moving from Indiana to Bakersfield.

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...kersfield.html

Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM

122 posts, read 365,597 times
bakersfield sucks i have lived here 10 years. Read other posts and reconsider. we are moving as soon as house sells. No worries about Tarantulas and scorpions, few and far between although we went hiking and I saw a rattle snake yesterday. Reconsider this area, most of california is great but the San Joaquin Valley is farm and oil land, really nothing to do at all for families. Schools stink, the air smells like cow dung. If you are single, no night clubs ( I do not go to them but I have heard this before). Lots and lots of "migrant" workers taking up your streets, stores and all ER rooms too. Smog gets trapped between the Tehachapi mountains, look at the smog info, I have asthma now at 34 just found out yesterday. i actually wheeze like a smoker does! Crazy but true. Also lots of gangs coming from LA. I have nothing to gain from posting this I live here and I want to give you a heads up. Lastly, the jobs are non existant and you better speak spanish to live here because most jobs require it.
On the other hand, the town of Tehachapi is beautiful, clear skies fresh air. Not much work though

Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM

123 posts, read 391,445 times
Have just returned from an attempted relocation to Bakersfield. Bakersfield didn't like me and I didn't like Bakersfield. I found it cheaper than many parts of California and cheaper than the East Coast where I came from. I just do not like the feel of the place. The sky was indeed smoggy.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 46,902 times
sorry, mispost

Last edited by ZeeDante; 04-14-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLay View Post
I live in Indiana and we are thinking about moving to Bakersfield. We have never been out west and are not sure what the differences are. We have lived several places on the east coast before we moved to the midwest, so I have seen different cultures.
What are housing costs like? (new york)
Are there scoripons and trantulas there?
Any info would be great
Housing costs are fair and dropping, not a lot of bugs like that unless you live in the foothills. The people are good, I've never been affected by any crime so take it as it is, there is smog but it really has never bothered me and it get hot for a couple of monthes. it's close to the mountians for camping, hiking, fishing and such and not very far to the beach. I know two families that came here from Indiana and they like it, you will hear people knock it but I know a lot of people and they all like it here, some people always think the grass is greener over the hill, well I've been over the hill and Bakersfield is not bad, it just depends on what you like, if big crowds and backed up traffic is what a person likes then maybe it's not for them, i can drive into S.Ca. if I want to go to big attractions but I get to come home and leave the crowds and congestion behind.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Bakersfield is not for everyone,but honestly this city isn't that bad as the way some people describe it,in fact I like Bakersfield and in my opinion it's a great place to raise a family.

Bakersfield has all the Modern Conveniences that you'll find in other mid-sized cities,and if you enjoy Outdoor Activities it's also near the Mountains,Lakes,Rivers and the Beaches and Deserts are also not too far away...The Mountains are also gorgeous when they are Snowcapped and the fields surrounding Bakersfield sure are pretty during their Spring Blossom.

The Summers are Hot and Dry and Smog can be a problem,but the Smog doesn't stop most people from going on with their daily lives unless you have a sensitive respiratory system.

Bakersfield also has some really nice neighborhoods and parks,and the crime and gangs aren't that bad compared to other places,so in other words,I feel that Bakersfield is a safe city for it's size.

Bakersfield is also one of the most affordable places in California,even more so with the housing prices dropping.

I don't think it's common to see Scorpions within the city,but it's more common in the rural areas,and i'm not sure if their are any Tarantulas in Bakersfield since I haven't seen one.

Here's some info about Bakersfield (Kern County) that you might find interesting.

Official Municipal Website, City of Bakersfield, California

Home | Bakersfield.com - Kern County news, events, shopping & search

Discover Kern County: Home

Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8n1GcCwTqU

Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Default Another Bakersfield California Original

Luv that Bakersfield sound.

Love that workin man... Oh yeah!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Dqo--Ly3g

Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Luv that Bakersfield sound.

Love that workin man... Oh yeah!!
There are quite a few web pages about the subgenre and the history of it.

Many of them were so poor they had to make their own instruments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California