Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times

Advertisements

It does cost more to live in California than in most other parts of the US, although as mentioned the difference is reflected most keenly in housing prices, and only a little in taxes, fees, and gas, and certainly not in food prices.

I continue to live here because for me the advantages outweigh the higher cost. Anyone who feels otherwise is welcome to live elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
My complete lack of any heating bill whatsoever is always glossed over by the Chicken Little cohort.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM

364 posts, read 610,943 times
California is the 4th highest taxed state. How can you argue with the facts?

Well I guess you don't have to argue with facts. You don't have to acknowledge facts. Just spin, twist, misrepresent, and refuse to accept the facts. And insult those who bring them up.

And of course say that Texas is always worse. Circus act.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
As I was saying about the gasoline cry for mercy ... yep, California is more expensive ... on average $280 a year more expensive. Now, apply the math to taxes and see how much it actually costs more to live in California for taxes. Oh wait, that's already been shown here over and over: it depends on how wealthy one is ... and, for the majority, who aren't that wealthy, or downright muddling-through, well, it isn't at all more expensive tax-wise than other states. *circus fanfare for the flying trapeze act*

Here, consider this example:
loaf of bread #1: $2.50
loaf of bread #2: $2.51
loaf of bread #3: $2.52

Yes, loaf #3 is more expensive than #'s 1 and 2. But loaf #1 is moldy. Loaf #2 is stale. And loaf #3 is fresh and whole grain, packed with vitamins for strong growing bones to make happy children happier. Buy whatever you want.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post

Well I guess you don't have to argue with facts. You don't have to acknowledge facts. Just spin, twist, misrepresent, and refuse to accept the facts. And insult those who bring them up.

But, try this, check the difference in tax rates between California and a so called low tax state. Yes, CA may be the 4th highest, but that would have no relevance in comparing California's tax rate with a so called low tax rate.

Facts stand alone. No need to spin them, they speak for themselves, there are those who prefer what they believe to facts, but thankfully, they are all in Texas!!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post

And right on cue, a cohort member shows up.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Aside from the comparisons, I never get the complaints about Cali's COL. Where is it written that every state has to be equally ''affordable''? Or do they also complain that a Lexus or BMW costs more to buy and maintain? You get what you pay for, and nobody's ever forced to buy the "high-priced spread"... be it a car, a house, or where you choose to live!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And right on cue, a cohort member shows up.
A cohort? We'd better check with Caesar as I think he's ordered a decimation.

Uh-oh...

Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Wait a sec, Slo. Gotta get that intro in.

Now pinchhitting for OT, we have Slo. Slugging a magnificent 1.318, and batting righty. Formerly with CA since traded to TX in a multi-player 2 for 1 deal.

(It's almost
Easy there pardner, I don't pinch hit for nobody.
Plus I claim dual citizenship, nor am I a disgruntled expat!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM

543 posts, read 533,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
But, try this, check the difference in tax rates between California and a so called low tax state. Yes, CA may be the 4th highest, but that would have no relevance in comparing California's tax rate with a so called low tax rate.

Facts stand alone. No need to spin them, they speak for themselves, there are those who prefer what they believe to facts, but thankfully, they are all in Texas!!

I've lurked for a while and your one heck of a cheerleader/basher. So here you go. Taxes that immediately affect people:

CA
Income tax: 1%-12.3%
Gasoline Tax: .69/gal
Diesel Tax: .79.5/gal
Sales tax base rate: 6.5% + up to an additional 3.5%. Most commonly 8-9% total varying by location.
Property tax: Assessed at 100% value max of 1% (Prop 13)

SD
Income tax: Zero.
Gasoline Tax: .42.4/gal
Diesel Tax: .48.4/gal
Sales Tax base rate: 4% + up to 2.75%. Most common throughout SD is 6%
Property Tax: Assessed at 85% value. I pay about 1% on my place.

Remember that fuel prices affect not only personal transportation, but also prices of goods. This does also does not take into account the difference in pre-tax price of fuel due to California's higher requirements in refining gasoline. I don't have time to go into vehicle registration fees.

Current average (with tax) for CA gas is $4.14/gal. 3.45/gal minus tax.
Current average (with tax) for SD gas is $3.61/gal. 3.18/gal minus tax.

And I don't even live in the boring part of SD. Of course, not only do you get to live with the great scenery in California, you get the added bonus of restrictions on individual rights too and a legislature that is inept beyond belief. I believe the term Bill Mill has been used in the past to describe the circus in Sacramento.

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/web_gas_taxes.php
USA and Canada Current Average Gas Prices By City/State/Province - GasBuddy.com
https://www.retirementliving.com/tax...owa#CALIFORNIA
https://www.retirementliving.com/tax...ng#SOUTHDAKOTA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California