Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 AM

14 posts, read 73,050 times

Advertisements

My residency and DL is in Florida, where I work. However I do stay/visit with family at their residents in California for extended period of time. I keep my motorcycle here to have something to drive around. It is still registered in Florida. I have been doing this for over a year without any problems. However I wasn't sure if it's in my best interest or possible to have it registered in California while keeping my Florida DL and residency. If there is a downside to that?

The second problem I ran into recently is when I did try to register my motorcycle in California. They would not register my bike because it was only 49-state with less than 7500 miles. After much hassle they just printed me out something from their website (ffvr 29) to show me in writing. I just took their word for it and left. When I reviewed the document later, the part they read to me is only for California residents. There is another section that says, "I may registered a new (according to California, any vehicles with 7500 miles or less is considered new) 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state."

Am I missing something or did DMV mess up?

Anyways, I've already renewed my Florida tags for my motorcycle and have California coverage since Florida doesn't require it.

However, would it be less headache if I was able to get my motorcycle registered in California since its there mostly even though I'm licensed in Florida? I just don't know whether I should try to get my motorcycle registered in California again or just leave it be since I may take it back to Florida one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 8,622 times
Hi,

If you are working in Florida then you should get your motorcycle with you in Florida. because you mostley leave there.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshipping400 View Post
Hi,

If you are working in Florida then you should get your motorcycle with you in Florida. because you mostley leave there.
I just didn't know whether down the road it would be an issue if the motorcycle is left and driven in California.

Last edited by nshocker; 03-13-2013 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: edit post

Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
First Question:

Quote:
4000.4. (a) Except as provided in Sections 6700, 6702, and 6703, any vehicle which is registered to a nonresident owner, and which is based in California or primarily used on California highways, shall be registered in California.

(b) For purposes of this section, a vehicle is deemed to be primarily or regularly used on the highways of this state if the vehicle is located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than it is located or operated in any other individual state during the registration period in question.
Downside = what you're doing is illegal and can leave you open to a citation.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Oh - Second Question - Missed that one. I would have to deep dive and refresh my memory on the Health and Safety Code, but at first recollection, as you are not a NEW RESIDENT, the 7,500+ mile rule does not apply to you.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Edit .... found it. My memory served me correctly.

Unless you establish residency here, CA doesn't wan't your fed-emissions bike here.

Quote:
43151. (a) No person who is a resident of, or who operates an established place of business within, this state shall import, deliver, purchase, rent, lease, acquire, or receive a new motor vehicle, new motor vehicle engine, or motor vehicle with a new motor vehicle engine for use, registration, or resale in this state unless such motor vehicle engine or motor vehicle has been certified pursuant to this chapter. No person shall attempt or assist in any such action.

(b) This article shall not apply to a vehicle acquired by a resident of this state for the purpose of replacing a vehicle registered to such resident which was damaged or became inoperative beyond reasonable repair or was stolen while out of this state; provided that such replacement vehicle is acquired out of state at the time the previously owned vehicle was either damaged or became inoperative or was stolen. This article shall not apply to a vehicle transferred by inheritance, or by a decree of divorce, dissolution, or legal separation entered by a court of competent jurisdiction, or to any vehicle sold after the effective date of the amendments to this subdivision at the 1979-80 Regular Session of the Legislature if the vehicle was registered in this state before such effective date.

(c) This chapter shall not apply to any motor vehicle having a certificate of conformity issued pursuant to the Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 7401 et seq.) and originally registered in another state by a resident of that state who subsequently establishes residence in this state and who, upon registration of the vehicle in this state, provides satisfactory evidence to the Department of Motor Vehicles of the previous residence and registration. This subdivision shall become operative 180 calendar days after the state board adopts regulations for the certification of new direct import vehicles pursuant to Section 43203.5.

(d) "Established place of business," as used in this section, means a place actually occupied either continuously or at regular periods.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
You are not a resident, you motorcycle should be fine with Florida plates. You are just a visitor so they cannot give you a citation for the motorcycle not being registered here in CA. Now if you became a resident, then things would be different.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
You are not a resident, you motorcycle should be fine with Florida plates. You are just a visitor so they cannot give you a citation for the motorcycle not being registered here in CA. Now if you became a resident, then things would be different.
That is not even remotely true.

This forum has awful selective reading - I sometimes wonder if the first post is read, the rest of the posts are ignored, and then people post whatever they "think" is true, and ignore the rest.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM

364 posts, read 611,066 times
So keep the Florida registration and to he77 with CA. Seems to me that you are unlikely to get busted so long as you are using a FL driver's license. If CA does not want your registration money then screw them.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM

I really hate the DMV, the lady has been nothing but unpleasant. I decided to try again today and this time brought the procedure handbook ch12 I found online which states the exception was if I had the vehicle registered in another state. Well showing it to this one lady, the other lady, the really unpleasant one, who helped me the day before saw and took me to her window. Then nearly had a tantrum as to how I got the handbook and that I'm not allowed to have it. When I said I got it online from the DMV, she rudely said there was no way loudly from a distance. Then I said I Googled it. At that time the staff was taking notice of the commotion. I saw a small group of them talking with my paperwork then in and out the back room. She finally reappeared showed a form that says something about emission requirements and said my motorcycle had no epa sticker. It had the EPA Noise Emission sticker, but the emission sticker is missing. Then she said something that my motorcycle had been reported that it does not meet emission requirement and can not be register. Before she hand me back my paperwork she didn't want to give me my handbook because she felt I wasn't suppose to have, so she had to ask her supervisor. She ended up having to give it back to me.

I know my bike is 49-state legal, but without the sticker there is nothing I can do. I can probably go through the hassle of getting the sticker or having the company show proof my motorcycle complies. However she seem pretty determined to be unhelpful and seem awfully miserable that I don't think it would matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Edit .... found it. My memory served me correctly.

Unless you establish residency here, CA doesn't wan't your fed-emissions bike here.
Everything that I have read the bulk of the restrictions and exemptions only applies to California residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
So keep the Florida registration and to he77 with CA. Seems to me that you are unlikely to get busted so long as you are using a FL driver's license. If CA does not want your registration money then screw them.
I have decided to just screw it and just keep my current tags. I only drive it around the small town and doesn't get ridden often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: