Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, well....the difference is that Fresno isn't a suburb of the Bay Area. Not remotely. I think Senno may have some comments on that, though.

That type of flooding has been a serious problem in certain neighborhoods in Seattle the last few years. For the same reason. Entire blocks have ended up under water during rains, because natural drainage was lost.
I'm familiar with the Fresno area. I've lived in this state for a long time and have seen a lot of area. The stretch of land between Fresno and Merced is mostly agriculture. A few small towns scattered in between. Very similar to the valley region of central Oregon.

In most recent years, there's been plenty of news coverage about these houses that were built in the hills and are sliding off, during heavy rainfall. It happened to some homes in the PNW area of Astoria. Several houses teetering on the edge of a hill that eventually collapsed. Homes evacuated and owners left wondering what to do and where to go. Not only them but the people living at the bottom of the hill, wondering if their own home will be safe from being crushed by the tumbling Tudor.

Quote:
You seem awfully optimistic about this rail system going in. All I'm seeing is a giant money pit that swallows up the funding without generating anything. I haven't seen proof that anything's actually being created, yet.
I'm generally an optimistic person. I've learned it's better for my health and sanity to look for the good in something instead of focusing on the negative. No. I'm not a proponent of the rail system but I'm in the minority. What am I going to do? Spend my days fretting over something I can't change? I did my part. I voted for the people I thought would do right by this state. Did they win the election? No, they did not. So what am I going to do now? Stomp my foot and get angry about it? Blame the other side for all our woes? If people don't like who's making decisions in Sacramento, then boot them out! Simple as that. The trouble is, most people vote for someone because they've either been voting a particular party for decades, or their parents or grandparents voted that way, or they are so gullible, they believe what the candidate is telling them instead of looking at the candidate's stance on issues.

You say this won't generate anything. Did you even read (from the link I provided) the economic, environment and community benefit this rail system will bring? What is it exactly that you'd like to see funding go for? Money received for this project cannot be used to fund schools or social programs. State budgets don't work that way. If money is allocated for one area, it cannot be used for another. Although, it might be nice, if it could.

Last edited by JGC97; 03-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: addition of comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
The issue isn't ripe for consideration.

Palmdale is important cause it's close to Lancaster and people commute to LA from that area. That is still LA county there, as well I think.
That's akin to the unfortunate saying that Sacramento is close to places you'd rather be.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
What is it exactly that you'd like to see funding go for?
um...building a rail line? Actual construction?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The trouble is, most people vote for someone because they've either been voting a particular party for decades, or their parents or grandparents voted that way, or they are so gullible, they believe what the candidate is telling them instead of looking at the candidate's stance on issues.
Sounds like why my parents voted for Nixon and Reagan.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
um...building a rail line? Actual construction?
I'm afraid you've lost me. Federal funding is going to be a part of this.

Quote:
Sounds like why my parents voted for Nixon and Reagan.
My parents used to get so angry with me because I was (and still am) an Independent. They felt I should vote their party affiliation but I tried many times to convince them I made my own choices and had to live with them. I'm proud to say I gave my parents every single one of their gray hairs!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying, it's been in the planning stages for so long, plus federal funding seems shaky, due to the economy, i have to see actual construction of something to believe it will happen.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:

My parents used to get so angry with me because I was (and still am) an Independent. They felt I should vote their party affiliation but I tried many times to convince them I made my own choices and had to live with them. I'm proud to say I gave my parents every single one of their gray hairs!
Almost ditto. For awhile I followed a party line but am happy to report that once I started working in politics and legislation I grew up, began to think for myself and became a complete independent. Both major parties are pathetic.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying, it's been in the planning stages for so long, plus federal funding seems shaky, due to the economy, i have to see actual construction of something to believe it will happen.
Timing on the announcement this project wasn't great, I'll admit. California still seeing high unemployment numbers and the weak housing market didn't bolster anyone's enthusiasm. Me included. I see California gaining ground on housing, though. Employment is still weak in some areas but I think there is hope. Changing the thinking of where employment lies, is key to the issue.

This state (this country in fact) has been evolving. We went from an agriculture society to an industrial society and now we are a technology society. It makes sense that unemployment in the areas of manufacturing will be slow. There's been quite a spurt, however, in technological employment. Two sectors you'll never see going away though and that's health care and criminal justice. There will always be sick people and there will always be criminals.

It's going to take a couple of decades before this rail system is completed. It's the future and welcome to it. We can either go along with it willingly or be dragged into it, kicking and screaming. I choose the former because life is too short for me to be angry every day that the government is doing something I don't like. They've been doing that since I can remember. My biggest job now is making sure I keep a watchful eye on where they're spending my tax dollars.

As for the HSR system. I see the future. Reminds me of those old sci-fi movies of the 70's. Rail systems instead of automobiles, people eating food in capsules instead of real food. No need for procreating the old-fashioned way when it can be done with a turkey baster and test tube.
It's closer than we think. We do things like that already ... except we still have automobiles. (thank goodness)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Almost ditto. For awhile I followed a party line but am happy to report that once I started working in politics and legislation I grew up, began to think for myself and became a complete independent. Both major parties are pathetic.
Yup I prefer being Independent, too. I concur with your last sentence. I don't give a tinker's dam whether someone has an R or D behind their name. None of them are perfect and some are even criminal. I wish more people would pay less attention to party affiliation and more attention to the candidate's agenda.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Yup I prefer being Independent, too. I concur with your last sentence. I don't give a tinker's dam whether someone has an R or D behind their name. None of them are perfect and some are even criminal. I wish more people would pay less attention to party affiliation and more attention to the candidate's agenda.
I wonder if a Hillary Presidency would have the same effect on the economy as the Bill Presidency. Or if the economy isn't salvageable after the sabotage Bush did on it.

In WA State, they set it up so you couldn't vote without declaring a party affiliation. I was an Independent there, but after I left, they changed the rules. Or so I was told.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
The issue isn't ripe for consideration.

Palmdale is important cause it's close to Lancaster and people commute to LA from that area. That is still LA county there, as well I think.
Edwards Air Force Base. Something of an employment node itself, and if you've ever seen the space shuttle land on TV you've heard about it. There's still a lot of jet testing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California