Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM

130 posts, read 503,344 times

Advertisements

I am looking for advice on an upcoming stay in or around the Yosemite Valley area. The trip would be a family vacation (everyone 20+ years of age). We are looking to do lots of activity in sightseeing, hiking, etc. We are currently in the planning stages and are looking for advice on lodging, must-see/must-do items/etc. Any tips or other information you could provide would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 12:51 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Tent cabins, affordable and fun, there is so much to do in Yosemite I can't even start listing them. Lots of sites with good tourist info. Cook your own food, the restaurants are expensive and not good.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,712,996 times
I agree the tents are fun but since the hantavirus outbreak I'm kinda iffy on that until I see the all-clear for sure to my satisfaction.

Awhanee and Yosemite Lodge are nice as is Tenaya if you want to stay that far away.

I've stayed in the tents and at Awhanee myself before.

See the falls, hike various trails and climb half dome.

Oakhurst is nice to wander around for a bit, if you are heading up to Yosemite that way.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:25 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
There are many choices of lodging, and different expense levels. Check the website for the park for details, to see what suits you. September is best, to avoid the crowds. Prices fall then, as well.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM

484 posts, read 822,070 times
I believe the hentavirus problem was limited to the tent cabins, but there are also housekeeping cabins with concrete walls that don't allow rodents to nest in them. I have stayed many times at a housekeeping camp that is right off of the Merced River that also has a beach.

The fall may be less crowded, but the waterfalls will be at their lowest point for the year, which may be exacerbated this year because of the lack of snowfall.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:38 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I agree the tents are fun but since the hantavirus outbreak I'm kinda iffy on that until I see the all-clear for sure to my satisfaction.

Awhanee and Yosemite Lodge are nice as is Tenaya if you want to stay that far away.

I've stayed in the tents and at Awhanee myself before.

See the falls, hike various trails and climb half dome.

Oakhurst is nice to wander around for a bit, if you are heading up to Yosemite that way.
Personally I would not worry about the Hanta, your chances of dying from a bee sting are greater than you getting hanta.

I am sure they jumped on the problem very nicely last year.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
If you don't want to stay in the Valley, Highway 120 has a place called the Evergreen Lodge just outside the park entrance. Everyone should see the valley at least once, but I prefer the Lake Eleanor, Hetch Hetchy areas.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM

30 posts, read 86,726 times
Here's a couple things that come to mind:

- bikes are a great way to get around the valley - bring your own or rent. The valley is pretty flat and bikes allow you to avoid the hassle of parking. The shuttles aren't bad, but biking is better.

- If the river is flowing well, rent a raft and float the river. A fun way to see the valley from all angles and you float into some pretty quiet areas.

- The valley can be pretty crowded and busy, and sometimes feels more like a small city than wilderness. That's OK, since it is so fantastic, but consider getting out of the valley for a day or two also.

- Outside the valley you can go up Glacier Pt Road and hike sentinel dome for great views of the valley and half dome (a short and easy hike). You can get to Taft Pt from this trail too. Glacier pt itself is nice but crowded and I'd skip it.

- Go up to the high country in Tuolumne. The hiking is limitless up there. I'm not sure how rugged you are, so here is a very easy one - go up pothole dome for the views of surrounding peaks and meadows, then go down and around the backside of the dome to the river for a swim in one of many many pools in the cascade. Hike along the river as long as you care to. Take care if the river is flowing strong.

- I think the tent cabins are the worst of both worlds. Not camping and not a motel. You are crowded in pretty good making it super easy to hear everything from your neighbors. At least if you are in an actual tent you have a little more space. Add hanta and no thanks.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Make sure you make it up to Tuolomne and possibly Tioga Pass if it's open when you go to Yosemite. A lot of people just go to the crowded valley, which is amazing, yet at the same time you've got to go see the high alpine country as well. Nice wide open hikes above tree line and plenty of beautiful lakes up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California