Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Leaf burning! That is down right obnoxious...

Compost those babies, for the garden.
Primitive even! But you ain't lived 'til you've dived into a pile of leaves then smelled the odor of them burning.

Actually, for the most part we mulch them. But some still get burned, just not a lot. Gotta get my leaf fix, dontcha know.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 03-16-2013 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Fire pits on the beach should be banned for the same reason smoking cigarettes on the beach is banned.

People have the right to breathe clean air.....they should not be subjected to breathing dangerous wood smoke.
YEAH! Let's start by banning wood-burning stoves and fireplaces in Ohio!

And infernal combustion engine-powered anything. But it has to start with Ohio.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Primitive even! But you ain't lived 'til you've dived into a pile of leaves then smelled the odor of them burning.

Actually, for the most part we mulch them. But some still get burned, just not a lot. Gota get my leaf fix, dontcha know.
Just the thought of it transports one back to many good memories indeed...

Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Fire pits on the beach should be banned for the same reason smoking cigarettes on the beach is banned.

People have the right to breathe clean air.....they should not be subjected to breathing dangerous wood smoke.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Beware-the...oke&id=4721459

IMO the only time a ban for health reasons would be valid is for inversion conditions, which are found in mountain valleys in winter generally not beaches in summer... Lol

Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
No. It's all in how it's phrased. Action typically involves, well, a method to a solution, not just stating something you're not happy about. If that were the case, all the kindergartners on the playground would be activists. lol

Nonetheless, I do appreciate the sharing of the article. Hopefully this won't come to be and we can all enjoy our smores in peace.
Kindergartners is some of the sharpest activists and political infighters I know.

Have you ever been questioned about why you are eating a big-mac and fries by a skinny in shape 5 year old? "Hey Mister (which actually means dumbass) why are you eating that? Eat a salad. Don't you know that's bad for you?"

"Hey Mister, my teacher, Miss KnowItAll ,told me to recycle to save the planet. Why aren't you recycling to save the planet so I can live on the planet? Do you expect me to go to Mars? You know how far off Mars is don't you?"

I'm also pretty sure there are some 5 year olds from CA serving voluntarily on Paul Watson's boats fighting the Japanese whalers.

You do not want to get them started on air pollution. They kill ya with the unfair dual advantage of facts and cuteness.

-----------------
By the way Sunny, Fresno State recruited Titus the trick shot artist. We have him signed for the class of '32 for a scholarship, and a lifetime supply of rubber balls. I as a major FSU booster (I attend some games now and then) am on call to sing nighty nighty lullabyes over the cell phone if needed. Hopefully by then he's out of diapers cause I ain't down for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
IMO the only time a ban for health reasons would be valid is for inversion conditions, which are found in mountain valleys in winter generally not beaches in summer... Lol
We do have to pull a permit to burn around here. But that doesn't apply to BBQ's. Hopefully the coast stands in solidarity with Fresno on the issue of bbq'ing and will grab their forks and tongs and come sing cumbaya as we eat some yummy stuffs, if the man comes for our q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
People who would actually go against the aesthetics, tradition and simple pleasure of fire rings shoud be staked to the leeward side of them followed by banishment from all beach areas and communitiues.

How's life in those protective bubbles anyway? I think I like it better here where we can and do actually burn leaves.
Curmy if you keep using navy terminology I'm gonna declare you honorary Navy.

As to burning leaves I can't do it without a permit. But I can get that permit if I really wanna. I just toss mine in the big dumpster, but only after I run and jump in the pile a few times.

--------------

You all watch any Whale Wars? Can you imagine if we sent Titus over there to throw stink bombs at the Japanese Whalers? They wouldn't stand a chance and would have to surrender probably.

Whale Wars - The World is a Vampire* - YouTube

Last edited by Senno; 03-16-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
From the article, it looks like the Coastal Commission is on the right side, you let this go and the BBQ will be next!

Last week, the commission's staff recommended keeping the rings, saying that removing them would be inconsistent with the Coastal Act because the act requires preservation of low-cost recreational facilities.
I was going to suggest to the op that he find where the Coastal Commission lies on this issue, use them, they are big hammer. I recently testified in front of them on a coastal issue, he can too. He can also start an action group, talk to the regulators, send 10,000 letters to them for a start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Isn't his City-Data thread a form of action?
If one considers complaining, action, like our republican congressmen, you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
No. It's all in how it's phrased. Action typically involves, well, a method to a solution, not just stating something you're not happy about. If that were the case, all the kindergartners on the playground would be activists. lol

Nonetheless, I do appreciate the sharing of the article. Hopefully this won't come to be and we can all enjoy our smores in peace.
10-4

Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Wut!? I have mobilized the bbq militia and we shall meet them on the beaches and drive them into the cold water of the Pacific. Then enjoy our tri-tip.

I am stocking up on s'mores supplies as we speak. Got an underground bunker full of sweet gooey goodness makings.
THIS - -- IS--- BBQ!!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Speaking of cigarettes on the beach (and to play devil's advocate), where are they banned? I'll bet the OP, who is anti-smoking, supports that ban, but is apparently against the ban on wood fires.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Speaking of cigarettes on the beach (and to play devil's advocate), where are they banned? I'll bet the OP, who is anti-smoking, supports that ban, but is apparently against the ban on wood fires.
That was my point.

How many people who support outside smoking bans take a complete about face when it comes to banning fire pits?

All of the arguments against breathing SHS apply to breathing wood smoke......if you ban one, you should ban the other.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Quote:
That was my point.

How many people who support outside smoking bans take a complete about face when it comes to banning fire pits?

All of the arguments against breathing SHS apply to breathing wood smoke......if you ban one, you should ban the other.
I don't support all outside smoking bans either.

I find on the beach that people who object to the smoke have room to move away in general. Only if you are in your home or otherwise tightly confined will I listen to an anti-smoking argument in general.

You should be able to smoke yourself to death if you want to, just not in my face or personal space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California