Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,631,788 times

Advertisements

I had moved to the area because my job moved there. It was difficult to find housing. But I disagree with 1 in every 4 and 1 in every 7 being a grow house. Yes, there are many, but not in those numbers, but that has next to nothing to do with the 'quality of life' found there.
The marijuana growers in the area are not gun carrying crazy people- that's the cartel on public lands doing that.
The area is fairly safe and the worst of it is the meth. That leads to lots of theft.
There is basically no sun year round in Eureka and Arcata.
And what someone above said about the culture changing over the last 10-12 years is something I would agree with.
It's a pretty place naturally, it's a diverse area- and one could live in better weather and enjoy a Costco, but it's not what is used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
That is about the whitest Spanish I have ever seen typed in my life.

Ok wiping the coffee I spit on my smart phone off while dancing around looking for a bathroom throwing eels off my hovercraft.
Did I say something wrong? It was not my intention to offend.

Monty Python - Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook - YouTube

Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,671,369 times
Nullgeo, donde esta las chicas de tropico Hawaii?

Tiene usted un pelicula de las chicas muy bonita?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The only people I've ever heard complain about the cold winters are SoCal transplants. People, it's called NORTHERN California for a reason! It's northern, so it's colder in the winter. If you don't like it, stay in SoCal, or move to Arizona.
Thanks for the lecture, Ruth. I'm fourth-generation here with no plans to move. Neither do I try to convince people it's paradise.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Told you it was the whitest.

If your going to use 1970's Monty Python allusions it helps to ensure that you have a modicum of reference so that the reader can pickup the breadcrumbs you are trying to leave behind in your play on language humor.

Here is a better one to show the barriers of language.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:35 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,671,369 times
Had Senno detected true offense he might of just up and called someone a racist cause I do that when I want to. But I didn't feel it myself.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Had Senno detected true offense he might of just up and called someone a racist cause I do that when I want to. But I didn't feel it myself.
Or you could've just gone straight to Godwin's Law and called someone a Nazi or Hitler.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Told you it was the whitest.

If your going to use 1970's Monty Python allusions it helps to ensure that you have a modicum of reference so that the reader can pickup the breadcrumbs you are trying to leave behind in your play on language humor.

Here is a better one to show the barriers of language.

Doesn't get any whiter than Monty.

Now then, the joke was entirely for you, Dawg ... and I had 100% confidence in your ability -- and incredulous response -- to translate. I must say, however, I also expected you (or someone) to type in the translated phrase to Google and find the reference to Python.

Senno, I am multi-lingual, but do not speak Spanish a'tall ... that's part of the humor with Dawg. I can tell you that transliterating the core phrase (hovercraft / eels) into ASL, sign language, is somewhat of an hilarious act, as signing is a visual language largely based on mime. I'll leave it to you guys to visualize drawing an air picture of a hovercraft full of eels.

And now back to figuring the tie-in of hovercraft filled with eels to the northern coast of California ... may I suggest we try to draw on the Eel River for inspiration?

Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Doesn't get any whiter than Monty.

Now then, the joke was entirely for you, Dawg ... and I had 100% confidence in your ability -- and incredulous response -- to translate. I must say, however, I also expected you (or someone) to type in the translated phrase to Google and find the reference to Python.

Senno, I am multi-lingual, but do not speak Spanish a'tall ... that's part of the humor with Dawg. I can tell you that transliterating the core phrase (hovercraft / eels) into ASL, sign language, is somewhat of an hilarious act, as signing is a visual language largely based on mime. I'll leave it to you guys to visualize drawing an air picture of a hovercraft full of eels.

And now back to figuring the tie-in of hovercraft filled with eels to the northern coast of California ... may I suggest we try to draw on the Eel River for inspiration?
I've caught many an monkey faced eel poke poling along the North Coast in my day.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,447,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
One thing I forgot to add: for those of you currently living on the North Coast, how do you like it? Or not like it, for that matter? Preferences vary from person to person so I'm interested in hearing some opinions on the place!
Here's your test. Rate the following temperature ranges in terms of preference:

1. 45-55F
2. 55-65F
3. 65-75F
4. 75-85F

To be happy living on the far northern coast, 1 & 2 should be your favorite temperature ranges, and preferably in that order. If #2 is your favorite temperature band, then #1 should be rated second. If you rated bands 3 or 4 first, or even second, you'll feel chilly 95% of the time. After 9 years there, I finally had to leave. There were beautiful days now and then, but overall a real law-of-averages problem with days that were predominantly gray, foggy, chilly, damp and windy. Most of the people I knew who liked it there were either post-menopausal women whose internal thermostats got stuck on hot-flash mode, or significantly overweight people who couldn't shed heat normally.

Here's another test. Go to your local grocery store and walk into the beer cooler. Sit there for about 10 minutes. Now ask yourself if you'd like to live where the temperatures are pretty much like this for 10 months out of the year. If your answer is "yes," then you may be a candidate for the far northern coast. Remember: it's cool and damp ALL YEAR long.

Last edited by Steve97415; 03-23-2013 at 01:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California