Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:54 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times

Advertisements

A lot of young people from out of state move to Manhattan Beach or Redondo. Don't ask me why (since I'm not from those parts) but there must be some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
By what mode of transportation? Walking? Cycling? Bus? Given the traffic in southern California beach towns, you might have to live within 2 miles of the beach to drive yourself there in half an hour (and that doesn't include time trying to find a parking spot).
I was thinking this too. I had to go to Santa Monica for business the other afternoon and it was a nightmare. I sat through the same red light at least 4 time because traffic was so backed up. And I've been on PCH in SM on Saturday when it just crawled. As a result, I don't spend much time in Santa Monica.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
We don't really have a budget...I mean, we do....
OK, What is it then?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 PM

128 posts, read 182,929 times
Under $1200 for a 1br apartment

Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
https://www.padmapper.com/?lat=33.80...ng=0&maxTime=0

Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
Under $1200 for a 1br apartment
under $1200 will get you something,but not in the Carlsbad area. Will you both have cars and what field of work will you be considering. I know you mentioned you are into Art. What about your boyfriend. You mentioned bringing friends with you, then I assume you would be looking for a place much larger than 1 bedroom. Have you considered sending out some resumes to see what the employment market in your field might be?

There are a lot of things to consider..good luck,

Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM

10 posts, read 6,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Carlsbad is nice, but very expensive. Oceanside is just north of Carlsbad and more affordable. If you want specific information about San Diego County, post in that forum. There are some very helpful people there. As someone mentioned the water is not "warm" anywhere in the Pacific Ocean, unless we are talking about Hawaii. In September it does get to above 70 degrees which is when I hit the beach in San Diego and fortunately when the tourists are leaving.

The part about "also the chance to buy a house in a less populated area..so somewhere close to the ocean but maybe not directly on it." That was Southern California in the 1950s and 1960s, sure you could buy a house close to the beach and it was not expensive, but those days are over. Now welcome to the million dollar club. I don't want to be a negative nellie but it is hard to find a shack within 3 miles of any beach for less than $500,000. And everywhere near a beach is crowded. You need to come and visit and see for yourself.

The lifestyle in San Diego County is nice, friendly, laidback. But you will need good paying jobs to survive. It is nothing like Humboldt county. I have been up there many times, have family there. That part of CA is remote, not crowded. It is the opposite down here.
We are currently looking to move to California and everyone keeps telling us to move to San Diego. I see that you live in San Diego. What areas/neighborhoods would you suggest we look at? We want to live in a safe area. We have no kids in school so schools are not an issue. We own a small business so jobs are not an issue. We have 3 dogs. We would like to find a place to rent for under $3,500/month. Also, we love the beach and would like to live within 15 min's from the beach. We would need to live within 30 min's from the airport because my husband travels for work. We would like to be in an area that's culturally diverse if possible? What areas/neighborhoods would you suggest based on the above? Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California