Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,629,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No wonder Californians got such bad reps in Hawaii Islands and they try to kill them.
This sentence apparently says Californians try to kill either their reps in Hawaii, or the islands themselves, not really sure which, or where the structure, Hawaii Islands came from. For most people it is just Hawaii or the Hawaiian Islands, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
American Samoa saw diabetes and obesity appear almost out of nowhere back during the Kennedy Admin., when the US protectorates in the Pacific were included in federal food give-aways for the poor. Suddenly canned goods started to arrive, and people's diets went all haywire. Use to be fish-based. Became canned pork-based, SPAM, etc.
My daughter is heading off to Fiji to document a curious local habit, the up country farmers grow their crops, take them to Suva to sell, and with the proceeds buy the afore mentioned junk foods. Which is what they prefer to eat.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,225,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Not buying it. "Native Hawaiian", maybe, but if you if you are a resident and your tax form says you're a resident of the state of Hawaii, you're a Hawaiian. Shall we get into a debate about who's a 'real' Californian, or even American? Provincial silliness.
If only it were that simple.

Unfortunately, the term "Hawaiian" doesn't quite work as a residency marker in the way that "Californian" does because it has become "racialized." If one moves to Japan and becomes a resident, one doesn't necessarily become "Japanese." Similarly, one is not "Hawaiian" simply because they are a resident of the State of Hawaiʻi or happen to pay taxes there. In Hawaiʻi, we use the term "Hawaiian" to describe the descendants of the aboriginal people of the Hawaiian Islands. The reason that we do this comes from Liliʻuokalani, the last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi who wrote in her autobiography, Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen: "When I speak... of the Hawaiian people, I refer to the children of the soil -- the native inhabitants of the Hawaiian islands and their descendants" -- an "aboriginal people" with a "birthright."

Thus, when describing people, most people in Hawaiʻi use the terms "Hawaiian", "Native Hawaiian", "kānaka maoli" ("real or true people"), and "kānaka 'ōiwi" ("bone people") interchangeably. The descendants of settlers in the Hawaiian Islands are referred to as "Hawaiʻi locals", "Hawaiʻi residents", and a few other things, but they are never considered "Hawaiians." The University of Hawaiʻi reinforces this "provincial silliness" in their "Style Guide" which is widely used as a reference by Hawaiʻi-based academics and media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
How about a new 'wrinkle?' Can you be an authentic Hawaiian, and be fat? Or skinny? Or not be paranoid about fashion store staff advice?
If one reserves the use of the term "Hawaiian" to refer to the "aboriginal people of Hawaiʻi and their descendants", one doesn't have to bother with using terms such as "authentic Hawaiian", "Native Hawaiian", "real Hawaiian", "true Hawaiian", etc.

Hawaiians come in all shapes in sizes and in California, many are mistakenly viewed as "Latino." Thus, I don't think that there's much "anti-Hawaiian" discrimination occurring at various "fashion centers" throughout California.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Very interesting, High, yet sad, diet wise. Is your daughter participating in a film documentary or is this a university anthropological study?

One of my nieces did the latter... she's half Filipino & lived as a kid on the Big Island, Guam, Korea, Japan, Philippines... her dad was in the military. She did a study on Filipinos in the Hawaiian Islands, in regard to acceptance since the 1965 Act allowing more Filipino immigration & the 1970s backlash they felt with that. Very interesting study & very interesting history every plot of land holds.

Good luck to your daughter.
It is an anthro project. She will do the GIS stuff. Her new love. Fiji has big problems in addition to diet, the conflict between the Polynesians and the East Indians the British imported as ag laborers.

Trouble in Paradise.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,771,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If only it were that simple.

Unfortunately, the term "Hawaiian" doesn't quite work as a residency marker in the way that "Californian" does because it has become "racialized." If one moves to Japan and becomes a resident, one doesn't necessarily become "Japanese." Similarly, one is not "Hawaiian" simply because they are a resident of the State of Hawaiʻi or happen to pay taxes there. In Hawaiʻi, we use the term "Hawaiian" to describe the descendants of the aboriginal people of the Hawaiian Islands. The reason that we do this comes from Liliʻuokalani, the last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi who wrote in her autobiography, Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen: "When I speak... of the Hawaiian people, I refer to the children of the soil -- the native inhabitants of the Hawaiian islands and their descendants" -- an "aboriginal people" with a "birthright."

Thus, when describing people, most people in Hawaiʻi use the terms "Hawaiian", "Native Hawaiian", "kānaka maoli" ("real or true people"), and "kānaka 'ōiwi" ("bone people") interchangeably. The descendants of settlers in the Hawaiian Islands are referred to as "Hawaiʻi locals", "Hawaiʻi residents", and a few other things, but they are never considered "Hawaiians." The University of Hawaiʻi reinforces this "provincial silliness" in their "Style Guide" which is widely used as a reference by Hawaiʻi-based academics and media.

If one reserves the use of the term "Hawaiian" to refer to the "aboriginal people of Hawaiʻi and their descendants", one doesn't have to bother with using terms such as "authentic Hawaiian", "Native Hawaiian", "real Hawaiian", "true Hawaiian", etc.

Hawaiians come in all shapes in sizes and in California, many are mistakenly viewed as "Latino." Thus, I don't think that there's much "anti-Hawaiian" discrimination occurring at various "fashion centers" throughout California.
Soooo...we're talking about a relative handful of people who are extremely sensitive about semantics. We can find those anywhere in the good ol' USA, not just Hawaii. Lots of "real or true people" everywhere...or so they like to relate. If Hawaiians want to think they're special, above and beyond all the rest who do the same thing, let them do so to their own merriment. Lei it down.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You used the term fat in your initial post. The aforementioned 'fat sign'... we're still awaiting clarification on that one.

Different bodies? We all have different bodies, no? Beautiful bodies? Regarding any body type... strictly eye of the beholder. Some like 'em tiny, some prefer 'em medium, some heart 'em large.

Since your husband's doing all the 'speaking', can you put him on please. I had to read this bloody paragraph 5 times to understand your English & his point.

Ironic? What's ironic is you NOW know MORE people who can't shop in stores for being too curvaceous & are given the stink eye if they're not barricaded out? Is there some Yahoo group from where they all come? Dear lord, woman, do you know anyone who has normal everyday consumer experiences?

Most stores give 'the run around' on returns or refunds. It's to discourage returns, from thin, medium, full-bodied, young & old men & woman.

And, why are all your friends & social circle assuming their weight is the reason they can't enter shops or get refunds? Were they flashed fat signs, too... drats, that f word again. If any of this were true, your 'friends' seem to be the ones having issues with their weight, not the other way 'round.

There's no end to the humor in this thread. Let me get your list right...

1) Not okay for Californians to commercially discriminate against large-boned people... or Hawaiians... or especially, large-boned Hawaiians. Do not give them stink eye or close up shop on them (see below).

2) But, if those pesky, scrawny Californians do, beat them to death with Prada purses... last season's markdowns... that'll teach 'em. Besides, they have 'bad reps', which is why Hawaiians 'try to kill them', justifiably so.

How do your friends do when perusing the candy or bakery isles? Stink eye? Flashed fat sign? Blimey... the f word... Locked out of markets?

And, your husband mentioned banks. Are they in on this conspiracy, as well? Are curvaceous women being tossed from banks en masse? Deposit refusal?

I just put a lot of fat shirts up on ebay using a local zip with free shipping. Let's see em complain now

Or Nully could make a killing on his next trip over.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,676,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I just put a lot of fat shirts up on ebay using a local zip with free shipping. Let's see em complain now

Or Nully could make a killing on his next trip over.
I wrote a poem on it in free chat.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM

One of the tragic consequences of the Hawaiian proclivity to bad diet was the far to early death of IZ.

OFFICIAL - Somewhere Over the Rainbow 2011 - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole - YouTube

Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,676,066 times
I put that video in Free Chat actually as well.

I will listen to it here though again, cause I like the song.

Aloha Hawaiians. I don't think you are all fat, or mean surfers. Nor do I mistake you for anything other than people.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM

That song is a big hit in the family. I am not a big fan of islands, I feel cramped on them, and I don't care for humidity, but, we were married, on the beach, on Molokai, at sunset, with a Hawaiian slack key guitarist, we were all (kids included) in Hawaiian shirts and barefoot.

I have a daughter at U of H

We vacation there, and have Hawaiian friends.

Interestingly, a fellow I know married a Hawaiian woman, and soon became much heavier. They explained that to me, a Hawaiian man shows that he is loved, but getting heavy, a Hawaiian woman shows her love for her man by stuffing him..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California