Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM

36,625 posts, read 67,123,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstu View Post
I don't want to be the voice of colored solidarity, but I don't think they would face the same discrimination at Ala Moana Shopping Center as the OP suggests they do in California.
But this is where the double standard comes in. The merchandise is exactly the same and that's where the complaints of discrimination should be directed to, the people who design and manfucature the clothing.

People in the stores may need some sort of sentitivity training, but usually people know what stores carry their sizes, no?

Chanel in Honolulu doesnt carry size 20 just like Chanel in SF doesnt carry size 20, ijs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But this is where the double standard comes in. The merchandise is exactly the same and that's where the complaints of discrimination should be directed to, the people who design and manfucature the clothing.

People in the stores may need some sort of sentitivity training, but usually people know what stores carry their sizes, no?

Chanel in Honolulu doesnt carry size 20 just like Chanel in SF doesnt carry size 20, ijs.
I think superstu's point was that the discrimination wasn't based on perceived clothing size.

Designer stores usually go up to a size 14, and the OP said her friend wasn't obese, just overweight.
Besides, how would the store owners have known if the patron was coming in for clothing or for those great Prada handbags?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think superstu's point was that the discrimination wasn't based on perceived clothing size.
And I am more inclined to believe that the only discrimination was in the minds of the self described victims. Quite frankly.

Stores want your money, they dont even care if you can fit into their garments.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Stores want your money, they dont even care if you can fit into their garments.
Not true. Salespeople actively discourage sales of items they think might be too small, or purchases they think are excessive. Sounds bizarre, but it does happen. Maybe they think they're discouraging potential returned items, but they do get over-involved in people's selections at the cash register, sometimes.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,400,492 times
Quote:
Not true. Salespeople actively discourage sales of items they think might be too small, or purchases they think are excessive. Sounds bizarre, but it does happen. Maybe they think they're discouraging potential returned items, but they do get over-involved in people's selections at the cash register, sometimes.
The few times I've ever experienced that issue, have usually been at retailers (even large grocery chains) located in rural small towns, where the local culture can occasionally be a little more "nosey", plus the employees who mostly grew up around there, often just don't know any better!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I am a man who has purchased many things that are clearly not for me, but have never been interrogated about them. LOL

Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM

504 posts, read 847,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Could it be that a salesperson who knows that they don't have anything in stock that would fit your friends is kindly referring them to an establishment that does?
Yes, because people only ever shop for themselves. Never for anyone else. Ever.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The few times I've ever experienced that issue, have usually been at retailers (even large grocery chains) located in rural small towns, where the local culture can occasionally be a little more "nosey", plus the employees who mostly grew up around there, often just don't know any better!
I've run into that at Nordstrom's, and some rather bizarre cashier behavior at a designer outlet. It definitely isn't limited to small towns.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeksil View Post
Yes, because people only ever shop for themselves. Never for anyone else. Ever.
Good point. The shopper the OP discusses could have been looking to buy for friends or relatives.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,062,110 times
I remain on the edge of my seat in anticipation of where this discussion will take the advancement of plus-sized Hawaiians. Kudos to the OP for bringing this real and deeply offensive social problem to the world's attention. I never would have thought of it myselfish self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California