Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
China is a growing power house. But so are we. If they manage to become great capitalists I think that's not a bad thing, and what Nixon intended when he opened up China.
How do you know what Nixon intended when he opened up China? It was supposed to be a boon for American business. The idea was that we'd be able to sell them our appliances and cars. They really turned the tables on us, if you ask me. They're laughing all the way to the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
I read history books sometimes. By Nixon I kinda mean the Nixon Administration though. Free trade, less isolation for China. A bigger part in the world.

I'm not offended that the Chinese are getting out of poverty. And that Mao's Little Red Book is more historical than actuality now.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I read history books sometimes. By Nixon I kinda mean the Nixon Administration though.
Well, yeah, it's all the same thing. I don't think they planned to turn the Chinese into capitalists. That was almost unthinkable, that China would change to such a degree. I think it was about us selling our widgets to over 1 billion people. Didn't work out that way, though.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM

I think that bringing their students here and letting them learn to emulate us and take those lessons back was part of the grand strategy along with getting them to turn away from Communism. It's a long-term game that's being played.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM

I'm still not convinced that it crossed anyone's mind that we might turn the Chinese away from Communism through trade. I think Nixon et al. were looking at US manufacturing's and business' bottom line. No one anticipated that the manufacturing jobs would end up going to China, and that the roles would be reversed; THEY would be selling US our OWN widgets!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Sooner or later we had to get off our collective azzes as a country... China, India, et al are simply "accelerating" the process!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I think that bringing their students here and letting them learn to emulate us and take those lessons back was part of the grand strategy
This is interesting. Except now, we're courting their students because our universities need the extra money! We're courting their students to help bail out our universities! Pretty sad turn of events.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm still not convinced that it crossed anyone's mind that we might turn the Chinese away from Communism through trade.
Seriously? It was definitely the intention.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Seriously? It was definitely the intention.
Do you have a reference for that? Not needling, genuinely curious. I thought it was about selling washing machines and cars to China. If it was about turning China toward capitalism, the Chinese still got the last laugh. They beat us at our own game, AND they've kept the Communist Party in control. Capitalism without accompanying democratization.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM

A short history of China and North Korea, By Senno non-PHD

So, what we've got here is a 2000+ year old civilization that's told us that they won't bend to pressure. And they be knowing cause we blabbed about it that McArthur wanted to nuke em maybe. Truman fired McArthur, but the damage was done. It was kinda also done when the Chinese streamed into North Korea and came to kick butt. Well, we got that worked out kinda, but we are still technically at war with North Korea, otherwise known as China's hemorrhoid. Now China may not love their hemorrhoid, but it hangs there and is attached to them. So they kinda watch out over their hemorrhoid.

Lessee, some more backhistory, Confusius, dynasties, more dynasties, mongolians, more dynasties, skip up to Boxer rebellion, bad white people taking over Hong Kong, some world wars in there, Flying Tigers, my main man who lived behind my friend, "Pappy" Boyington, Chang Kai Shek (sp), Mao. Mao likes the Russians kinda, but maybe not.

So there we are back to annoyed Chinese maybe that we fought for Korea. And Vietnam maybe, who knows what those xenophobe chinese are thinking. Maybe there were Chinese pilots in Vietnam for all we know, there were Russians I think...

So there's the Presidents, and their thinking this through, and there's a thinking adversary over there with a goddamned 3000 year memory or something. We just can't be sure they ain't a little bit cranky over there. And we do our best to figure it out. And someone says, "hey, what if we try to make friends?" "Think that will work?" And they decided it might be worth a shot. So some secret meeting take place, and then Nixon goes over and tries to open up China.

And they open up, ohhh so slowly. Cause we've still got Tianamen and Tibet and human rights and all kinda **** going on over there. But still we wanted them to be more like us as much as they can be, and not be so much friends with Russia. And we say hey, try some McDonalds. And they sent us a Panda. Then they kinda grow their economy, and they find out that by loosening commuist controls, they seem to have a bit happier people that are more productive.

So they do that, they they start freaking huge building projects like their dam and stuff. And grow their economy more. Now they are kinda capitalists, but in a strange hybrid way, and they ain't taht good at thinking up original trade secrets, but they can copy anything ever made.

And here they come. And a friendly somewhat capitalist China that's kinda like us is better than a Bleeding Red China that hates our guts. Or so the experts say.

Meanwhile I think the Chinese are still kinda annoyed about Taiwan also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California