Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 3,695 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to move far away from where I'm living and I need advise I have one son father is not involved not on the birth certificate I collect unemployment 184 a week I also have foodstamps I just want to move to California I'm going through a lot of personal problems and where I'm staying its not a good environment for my son anybody have any advise? I live in NJ only did a semester of college I have my medical assistant diploma and one year of experience as office coordinator I'm 22yrs old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I recommend you do not move here.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I recommend you do not move here.
Why?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM

Yea why? I would like to move there I would like to start new somewhere

Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Single_mom1212 View Post
I'm trying to move far away from where I'm living and I need advise I have one son father is not involved not on the birth certificate I collect unemployment 184 a week I also have foodstamps I just want to move to California I'm going through a lot of personal problems and where I'm staying its not a good environment for my son anybody have any advise? I live in NJ only did a semester of college I have my medical assistant diploma and one year of experience as office coordinator I'm 22yrs old
Is this for real or an April fools joke? There is no way you should even be thinking of moving, probably anywhere, but certainly not California. You couldn't even find a decent place to rent for your $184 a week unemployment and if you get a job, you lose the unemployment, will have to pay child care (which you don't want to know what that costs) Add the cost of additional food, utilities, gas, insurance, and unexpected expenses...You can't begin to make it...

Work on getting off unemployment, get your resume up to date, and consider other alternatives. I do hope you can find a better enviornment for you little boy.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Sometimes starting over means starting from the bottom. The OP is likely not to find a nice place for $600 a month, but they can for sure find something if they look in the right place and it will serve its purpose while getting settled and on their feet and running.
Child care is not the only option either. If the child is 3 years old, the child can be enrolled in Head Start. This is a preschool environment and it is also an agency that helps the whole family and provide resources for the mother.

I'm a California native and I left for a year. When I returned, I returned with a small child, no car and $30 to my name. I made it just fine. It's all a matter of persistence and a true desire and strong will.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Sorry, I disagree. This person has essentially no skills and is already set up with the social service system where she is. Suggest the OP get herself into a better situation and earning capacity BEFORE she moves.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Most of California is quite expensive (even more so than the east coast) and the unemployment situation is still grim. You might want to consider starting in a better community within reach of your family/friends in case you need help. Sometimes a 100 miles is sufficient to get a way from a bad situation and easier to handle than 3,000 miles. A lot of people move to California hoping to start over or get away from it all, but life here is just as difficult as anywhere else and there are better places to raise children.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Well does anybody suggest a different state? my son is only 3months btw. and I know I should try to get off unemployment but right now where I currently live there's only part time maximum pay is 10 an hr. I would only work for child care makes no sense to work and these are not job were I can grow within the company. These are factory position.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Single_mom1212 View Post
Well does anybody suggest a different state? my son is only 3months btw. and I know I should try to get off unemployment but right now where I currently live there's only part time maximum pay is 10 an hr. I would only work for child care makes no sense to work and these are not job were I can grow within the company. These are factory position.
If you love your son, then you'll go work in a factory to make ends meet until something better comes along and you can make a career change. What makes you think you're above working in a factory, sweet heart?

Because you have a "medical assistant" certificate? Really??????????????

I worked fast food for awhile when I had a bachelor's degree, so get real!

Let me give you a reality check:

There are people here in California, who were born and raised in this state, who have Masters degrees and work as baristas at Starbucks because they can't find any other work and don't want to lay up on the taxpayers.

Quit with the entitlement mentality, roll your sleeves up and get to work! There are moms who work TWO, and sometimes THREE, jobs to support their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: