Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 PM

19 posts, read 81,421 times

Advertisements

or do taxes play a big role (specifically income tax)?
i would assume things like groceries, utilities, etc are not that overpriced compared to other states so what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 AM

411 posts, read 719,747 times
Compared to other major cities, other costs are only a bit higher (maybe 10-20%)

Taxes are higher, but the difference varies by which state/city you're comparing too. It's about the same as NYC, higher than Chicago, much higher than Texas/Florida cities

Housing is the main cost, both renting and buying

Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The best way to answer this, is to use a cost of living calculator.

I chose moving from Austin Texas earning $75,000, and San Jose/Sunnyvale Ca as an example and they say it would require 60% higher salary to live in San Jose. They compare quite a number of items cost each place, which will give you an idea of where the difference in costs of living occur.

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The best way to answer this, is to use a cost of living calculator.

I chose moving from Austin Texas earning $75,000, and San Jose/Sunnyvale Ca as an example and they say it would require 60% higher salary to live in San Jose. They compare quite a number of items cost each place, which will give you an idea of where the difference in costs of living occur.

Cost of Living comparison calculator
I think this cost of living calculator is seriously lacking, I entered the area I grew up in, Northern Virginia/ DC, to compare to San Jose, and it gave prices for housing as 746K vs 764k, I'm not kidding, for 746K in the DC area you would get about 3000sqft, and here you would get maybe 1600sqft? I think that is seriously lacking, while most people may be trying to keep up with the Joneses in the DC area so to speak and will spend some crazy amount on housing to do so, if you're looking to have some minimal level of housing you will find it much easier to achieve in the DC area, if you want to live in a 3bd townhouse or better for example, I imagine you would have to spend at least 500-700k here, depending on town, versus, 300k-500k in the DC area, depending on town. So if you have such a place in DC area and are asking what it would take for salary to keep the same standard of living, this calculator will tell you you need a 6% increase in salary, and you will be very disappointed when you are trying to buy a townhouse say in Sunnyvale, and others are bidding 700k for it. If on the other hand keeping up with the Joneses is your main priority, then I suppose using the median house price is appropriate.

I will say except for the rent the rest does seem more of an apples to apples comparison, I'm not sure on the energy, I think you need a lot less electricity in the summer and winter here, but the electricity costs more. A lot of places don't even have A/C here.

Last edited by cardinal2007; 04-03-2013 at 01:15 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3wha View Post
i would assume things like groceries, utilities, etc are not that overpriced compared to other states so what do you guys think?
Housing is not the only thing, but it is the biggest factor. Sales & income taxes are also higher than most places. Utility rates are also higher, but your costs may be the same or lower if you live in the coastal metro areas because of the mild climate. Gas prices are also higher. Food is the same or a little higher than other places.

Southern California is generally a bit cheaper than the Bay Area in terms of sales taxes and overall prices, but incomes in SoCal are also usually lower.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3wha View Post
Your question is too vague for such a large state with so much variety. California can be cheap for real estate and taxes depending on where you want to locate and how much/little income you have - and your income source.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Comparing to Texas...

Wine is cheaper (and better) here!
I find restaurants here much more expensive and not as good.
Taxes (income tax much higher, property tax % lower but offset somewhat by higher home prices)
One thing that annoys me is you have to pay to park anywhere near a state park, even to just take a hike or a picnic
Utilities rate higher for us (we only have PG&E here), but usage is lower due to better weather
Gasoline add about 50 cents per gallon for taxes here

And yes, it's worth it!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Regulation also has an impact.

For example, milk in California is not fungible with milk from other states -- California regulators have regulated milk in such a way that milk produced/processed in other states can't be imported to California for sale. This makes the price of milk higher in California than it would be if such regulation were not in place.

See CDFA > ANIMAL HEALTH & FOOD SAFETY SERVICES > MILK & DAIRY FOOD SAFETY > Milk Standards

There are many other examples such as gasoline - at the chemical level, gasoline in California is different according to regulations and therefore gasoline from elsewhere in the US cannot be imported to California for sale.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Goods and services COULD be more expensive since real estate is more expensive. The owner of a barber shop for example may be paying higher rent because real estate is more expensive so those costs are passed on to you.

[That's one reason I try to buy some things in low rent districts. A hair cut in Santa Ana is the same as a hair cut in Newport Beach but the NB haircut price includes higher lease/rent overhead and is more expensive.]

Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
any kind of fuel is much higher here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California