U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 13,658 times

Advertisements

I've finally made my move from Los Angeles to Lancaster to purchase my first home. I love the community and the home is gorgeous. My friends that visit me from Los Angeles freak out that there is a sign for the Antelope Valley State Prison at my exit. I live in the 6 year old housing development around the corner from In and Out. Could some of you natives direct me to finding out more about:

1. The State Prison.
2. Have there been any outbreaks?
3. Why is "I" street conisidered "bad". I live of 20th St West and "I" and a bad sign is when the pizza delivery guys don't deliver. I finally convinced them to do so. But please give me any insights you have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 11:32 AM

8 posts, read 64,777 times
I have lived in the antelope valley for 11 years now and the place has definately gone down hill. When I moved here it was more of a small community. I'd wake up hearing goats and chickens and at night i'd hear the coyotes howling. In the past few years they have build literally thousands of tract homes and all you hear all day and night now is sirens and police helicopters. The traffic is bad, crime rate way up. Its so sad what has happened out here and the mayors and government officials don't seem to care. All they are focusing on is build, build, build...despite what that is doing to the community. Most people I know are moving out of here. I would too if I could find somewhere else in So. Cal I could afford to live and still keep my job in LA.

As for the prison out here, I've never heard of any break-outs while I've been here. Avenue I has always been one of the worst streets, that and Sierra Hwy. Not real sure why except that it has lots of run down busineses, etc.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:37 PM

1,701 posts, read 6,174,507 times
yeah LANCASTER has gone downhill...the state prison has nothing to do with it...low income families who can't afford the city enjoy moving out there ecspecially poor white folks and african americans..but it's not bad enough to jump out at you...and for those individuals to come after you...besides prison breaks don't come and eat supper and people's houses..
YOUR FINE FRIEND

Old 12-28-2006, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,827 times
Default Lancaster, Ca

I have lived here since 1979 and it has goon to the dogs, but every since I can remember Ave I has always been a rough street. not one you want to be caught walking alone after dark. mostly because all of the drug houses and users are hanging around the streets somewere, and YES there has been an escape from the state prison but the guy who tried to escape didnt get very far since he tried through the trash and they compact it upon pickup so the guy got crushed and received two broken legs and several other injuries he was lucky to live, but it I think is one of the safest prisons to live by because it is a new facility with state of the art technology, so i wouldnt be woried about the state prison i would be woried about my surrounding neighborhoods!!! then the facteveryone started moving here to get their kids away from gangs, but they all met up here and started their own wich was worse since they are all young with no one to put them in their place and tell them to calm down

Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,127,025 times
I/J/K are all problematic from there over to 30th east...even where all those new home tracts are around 30th east and K/J they're having a rash of carjackings and home break ins. You been in that Wal-Mart over at 20th east and J? Scary...

I hate to say it, but it's the locals, not the prison, that's the problem, just as TCGomez says above...

Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 6,174,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emckinneyla View Post
3. Why is "I" street conisidered "bad". I live of 20th St West and "I" and a bad sign is when the pizza delivery guys don't deliver. I finally convinced them to do so. But please give me any insights you have.
It's not delivery, it's digiorno.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 13,658 times
Unhappy Thanks for the Feedback

Thanks everyone for the candid feedback. Well I guess the resell value of my home is in question. You natives have all the insights. Any suggestions on where in the Antelope Valley I should consider for my next purchase?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 14,840 times
Default Lancaster

I've just joined this - we bought a place up off of I last year.
moved from Europe, so it's a real huge difference.
what does the "junior" and "senior" mean?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 PM

1,081 posts, read 3,622,780 times
emckinneyla, you are in west Lancaster, buy the Market Place, it is not a bad area. Chances are you are just out of the area for that Pizza place. As you can see many homes are being built in that same area.
Right now it is a buyers market in the AV.
So you did okay.
Don't worry, really it is not as bad as all that.
I have live in Palmdale for 8 years and I have never seen a chicken or a goat, except way out in the sticks.
It has changed in the past few years, because more people are moving here, for the very same reason you just did.
Relax and enjoy your new home.
It is a high security prison so, no one gets out.
MBG

Old 04-12-2007, 04:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 3,622,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janettelabella View Post
I've just joined this - we bought a place up off of I last year.
moved from Europe, so it's a real huge difference.
what does the "junior" and "senior" mean?
It is based on number of posts.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California