Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
You are really gulping the Kool-Aid LOL Every year they have said the budget is balanced or came out with a budget just to find out it's not working a few months later.
Just ignore teachers getting laid off, the furloughs, citys either in or near bankruptcy.

California's bad dream: Budget deficit hits $16B, unemployment 11%, businesses exit | Human Events - from May 2012, can't trust more current stuff because someone always comes out with a powerpoint proclaiming we got it fixed

Scandals Show California Is Broken, Not Broke - Bloomberg
Oh good. Another Kool-Aid reference.

Listen, you realize your "Bad dream" link is a year old right? Since before the budget solutions and elections, falling unemployment, rising real estate, prices and other recovery evolutions. You say you can't trust anything newer? But it's okay to rely on outdated information made irrelevant by current status? All budgets for all states, federal and foreign governments too, are subject to challenges, changes, downsides. But not all states and countries have anything near to California's natural and cultural and technological resources to negotiate a forward course. Can't beat the place with a stick.

Apparently ok to also just ignore the links I provided for multiple sources addressing California's extremely high ranking for governmental honesty. For every scandal in California I can show you more in other places. Corruption has always been a part of civilization. There is nothing unique about California having its share. But it is commendable that its share is small at this time.

Perhaps you are one who enjoys hyperbole and unsupportable innuendo over facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
I knew LA had pretty bad air quality, just that I haven't experienced it. Or heard of anyone doing that where they're unable to breath, such as the poster I quoted had said.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Check this on a regular basis, and compare it to other cities:

AIRNow - Central LA CO, CA Air Quality

Air in Los Angeles is certainly better than in Beijing, but it's among the worst for major metro areas in the U.S.
Plug in NYC and see what color it is now.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Plug in NYC and see what color it is now.
I've vacationed in California and visited during the Winter and Spring being up and down the coast and all I can say that me living in Northern NJ by NYC at the time I never had to wash a car windshield so much as when I've been in California - all that "lovely" black icky garbage especially settling on the top edge of the windshield wipers after a nights sleep.

California is beautiful though.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I've vacationed in California and visited during the Winter and Spring being up and down the coast and all I can say that me living in Northern NJ by NYC at the time I never had to wash a car windshield so much as when I've been in California - all that "lovely" black icky garbage especially settling on the top edge of the windshield wipers after a nights sleep.

California is beautiful though.

Fair enough. But currently the air is even more unhealthy in the NE. My point being, when considering relative qualities of something as nebulous as air, particularly as between cities, it’s a matter of degrees and frequency, as opposed to simply good/bad.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM

139 posts, read 300,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh good. Another Kool-Aid reference.

Listen, you realize your "Bad dream" link is a year old right? Since before the budget solutions and elections, falling unemployment, rising real estate, prices and other recovery evolutions. You say you can't trust anything newer? But it's okay to rely on outdated information made irrelevant by current status? All budgets for all states, federal and foreign governments too, are subject to challenges, changes, downsides. But not all states and countries have anything near to California's natural and cultural and technological resources to negotiate a forward course. Can't beat the place with a stick.

Apparently ok to also just ignore the links I provided for multiple sources addressing California's extremely high ranking for governmental honesty. For every scandal in California I can show you more in other places. Corruption has always been a part of civilization. There is nothing unique about California having its share. But it is commendable that its share is small at this time.

Perhaps you are one who enjoys hyperbole and unsupportable innuendo over facts?
You do realize that anybody can say this'll work and present it but really won't know for sure until several months almost a year later. If you kept up on stuff you would know this from all the budgets that were passed years before then they had to be done over. Come back in a few months to a year and see if things are as rosy as they present?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You do realize that anybody can say this'll work and present it but really won't know for sure until several months almost a year later. If you kept up on stuff you would know this from all the budgets that were passed years before then they had to be done over. Come back in a few months to a year and see if things are as rosy as they present?
You continue to miss the point - that what you describe is not unique to California. It is called life as usual all around the nation and world. People make the best predictions they can in an uncertain world. You also ignore California's unique global position that enables it to constantly adjust and lead. It appears you have some negative personal agenda about California. I am curious about this California-bashing by posters from other places. How does the state of my state affect you?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
You continue to miss the point - that what you describe is not unique to California. It is called life as usual all around the nation and world. People make the best predictions they can in an uncertain world. You also ignore California's unique global position that enables it to constantly adjust and lead. It appears you have some negative personal agenda about California. I am curious about this California-bashing by posters from other places. How does the state of my state affect you?
Missing the point LMAO You must not be comprehending well. Go back over the posts, read them slowly, then maybe you can understand something other than your biased point LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Missing the point LMAO You must not be comprehending well. Go back over the posts, read them slowly, then maybe you can understand something other than your biased point LOL
Humor is fun. For me as well. Let's recap then. You wrote that

developers will keep snapping up and building all the nice California land
I responded that over 50% of California land is not available for development
and that development is also severely restricted relative to natural resources (water) and infrastructure.
You responded that you had not known that.

You wrote that California has idiots everywhere
I pointed out that idiots exist uniformly around the globe.

You wrote that Californians pay a premium for the crap the state pulls.
I asked for examples.

You responded by accusing the state / local governments of corruption.
I provided credible sources that proved just the opposite.

You said starting abusiness was hard.
I responded that would be so only for someone not willing to follow responsible practices. And California as the number 1 national economy and number 9 global economy really doesn't need to worry about new start ups too much. Obviously lots of businesses do start and thrive to achieve the state's global ranking. Right? Can't be too hard.

You then cited budget fiascos and you supported that claim with a year old article.
I have pointed out that the budget problems are being aggressively addressed and the proposed budget passed as balanced.

Now you want to claim that something could go wrong.
And I responded - Yes that's life, sh*t happens, people continue to adjust and California has extraordinary resources.

So what's funny and what didn't I understand?
I ask you again as well: how does all this affect you in Colorado?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Humor is fun. For me as well. Let's recap then. You wrote that

developers will keep snapping up and building all the nice California land
I responded that over 50% of California land is not available for development
and that development is also severely restricted relative to natural resources (water) and infrastructure.
You responded that you had not known that.

You wrote that California has idiots everywhere
I pointed out that idiots exist uniformly around the globe.

You wrote that Californians pay a premium for the crap the state pulls.
I asked for examples.

You responded by accusing the state / local governments of corruption.
I provided credible sources that proved just the opposite.

You said starting abusiness was hard.
I responded that would be so only for someone not willing to follow responsible practices. And California as the number 1 national economy and number 9 global economy really doesn't need to worry about new start ups too much. Obviously lots of businesses do start and thrive to achieve the state's global ranking. Right? Can't be too hard.

You then cited budget fiascos and you supported that claim with a year old article.
I have pointed out that the budget problems are being aggressively addressed and the proposed budget passed as balanced.

Now you want to claim that something could go wrong.
And I responded - Yes that's life, sh*t happens, people continue to adjust and California has extraordinary resources.

So what's funny and what didn't I understand?
I ask you again as well: how does all this affect you in Colorado?
This is my last post on this since apparently you can't put two and two together, don't watch much credible news, need everything spoonfed to you, which equates to an attitude of if you don't show me exactly what I look for then its not true.
The way it effects me in Colorado is that it doesn't but coming from California , living from Inglewood to Santa Clarita for the last 38 years, I can comment from first hand knowledge. A great thing California did is set the bar so I can say that I pay lower taxes, not just my daughter but other kids get better schooling, housing is inexpensive, and everybody is more helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California