Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,622,737 times

Advertisements

Beautiful southern California Suburbia:

Here's a beautiful suburban neighborhood in the Phoenix area. LOL is this happiness to you ppl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 PM

254 posts, read 256,862 times
I don't see any humans out in public in those photos. Sad

Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,831,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Here's a beautiful suburban neighborhood in the Phoenix area. LOL is this happiness to you ppl?
It seems like many newer suburbs are built that way--we have them here in SoCal too... like Santa Clarita, Rancho Cucamonga, Chino Hills, etc--mainly suburbs of the '80s to now.

Postwar SoCal suburban developments of the '50s and '60s tend to have small lots with small houses because their jobs were to be starter homes for the returning soldiers. Nothing fancy--just simple homes for soldiers to start their families.

But nowadays buyers demand things like bigger lots, bigger houses, and cul-de-sacs in their communities, and we end up with these over-planned tract homes.

A piece of Rancho Cucamonga:

Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 AM

409 posts, read 952,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
I don't see any humans out in public in those photos. Sad
Because nobody walks in LA (you can't see them because they're all in cars) and its too hot in Phoenix to be out.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,622,737 times
I like looking at all that burbs from an airplane. So neat and perfect looking.... then on the ground u see all the imperfections

Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
This is very well said

I can't explain how depressing it feels to know that if I want to interact with society, I have to pile in my money pit also known as automobile.

Furthermore this forces me to game plan every single place I'm going for ideal "avoiding traffic/wasting gas" . Absolutely no sense of excitement or adventure. Every single day feels just like the last. Same roads, same lights, same direction. No social interaction. Return home and hide in house away from the world outside.

Depression.
Your post is very inaccurate. We in the suburbs are always interacting. At neighborhood functions, kids activities, school activities, bunko night, wine tasting night, steel drum bands at the pool, block parties, fundraisers, girl scout cookies, soccer, cheer, swim team, etc. Newer master planned communities are taken care of - the people who live there are stakeholders - high percentage of owner occupied interested in protecting their community as an investment.

Almost everyone owns an automobile. Carless people are the extreme minority.

You can have your inner city high density living environment: pollution, homeless, noise, dependence on inflexible public transportation, overall lack of green space, traffic, crumbling infrastructure, crime, pawn shops, fumes, vagrants, drifters, impersonal interaction at doorways, stray dogs, rude drivers, high percentage of those who aren't stakeholders (renters - they don't care about their community - they're only renting).

Fear - I love living in the city. - YouTube

Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I like looking at all that burbs from an airplane. So neat and perfect looking.... then on the ground u see all the imperfections
Ya, like what?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,363,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ya, like what?
"Little boxes made of ticky-tacky and they all look the same." Not every suburb but all too many of them of late.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
"Little boxes made of ticky-tacky and they all look the same." Not every suburb but all too many of them of late.
What's the problem? What do you have against homes in the suburbs? Since many of them are owner occupied and the post 1990s homes are under an HOA, these homes are well managed and well maintained. Landscaping, structure, furnace and A/C, etc.

They don't all look the same. Some tracts look very similar but most builders have a half dozen plans with several different layouts. color schemes, and different elevations.

You think all these homes look the same?

Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM

159 posts, read 643,678 times
Those picture actually look awesome to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California