Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
Los Angeles 12 46.15%
Orange County 9 34.62%
Other 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 AM

10 posts, read 12,647 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I did a quick search and didn't really see anything. If you could choose between living in Orange County or Los Angeles, which would you all personally prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
As far as I'm concerned they're the same, but I'm sure some OC folks would want to hang me for saying that.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
I think people make a WAY bigger deal about the differences between the two. I mean how much of a difference is there between:

Huntington Beach and Hermosa/Redondo Beach/Torrance

or

Westminster and Alhambra

or

Laguna Niguel and Calabasas

or

Fullerton and Northridge/Chatsworth

or

Laguna Beach and Malibu

or

Irvine and Woodland Hills

or

Yorba Linda and Valencia

Maybe you are starting to see my point. Obviously many parts of LA are more urban both good and bad areas than anything in Orange County, but from my view, a transplants view, I really don't understand why people make such a huge difference.

Orange County is all built with traffic, etc. and most of LA county, including parts of LA proper are still mostly suburban. Now if you were to compare LA to Ventura County there are a lot more differences there, as Ventura County has actively slowed its growth, protected open space, etc. so, there is a still a bit more of a somewhat rural feel in many parts.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
LA County, for me

Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM

129 posts, read 164,507 times
I think I would prefer Orange County, but there are suburbs of LA that are really nice too. I just don't want to be too close to city life that's the only reason why I think I would prefer Orange county to LA. I LOVE LA and all that the city has to offer, but I think being that close to a huge city would be a bit too much for me. I'm used to being in the suburbs.

But that's just me.

I think the best way to figure out which area you would prefer is to actually come OUT to LA and Orange county and figure out for yourself what you personally prefer. There are pros and cons to everything really.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
I'm a hick from the sticks. Orange County is easier to drive in.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I think people make a WAY bigger deal about the differences between the two. I mean how much of a difference is there between:

or

Westminster and Alhambra

or

or

or

Laguna Beach and Malibu

or

or

Yorba Linda and Valencia

Maybe you are starting to see my point. Obviously many parts of LA are more urban both good and bad areas than anything in Orange County, but from my view, a transplants view, I really don't understand why people make such a huge difference.

Orange County is all built with traffic, etc. and most of LA county, including parts of LA proper are still mostly suburban. Now if you were to compare LA to Ventura County there are a lot more differences there, as Ventura County has actively slowed its growth, protected open space, etc. so, there is a still a bit more of a somewhat rural feel in many parts.
Good comparisons except the Malibu Laguna Beach one. Malibu is MUCH wealthier. Laguna Beach has two homeless shelters and section 8 low income housing. They both do have nice houses right on the beach though.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Good comparisons except the Malibu Laguna Beach one. Malibu is MUCH wealthier. Laguna Beach has two homeless shelters and section 8 low income housing. They both do have nice houses right on the beach though.
Wow, guess I never saw that part of Laguna!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha04 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I did a quick search and didn't really see anything. If you could choose between living in Orange County or Los Angeles, which would you all personally prefer?
For me, that would be like asking: would I rather be deaf or blind.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM

116 posts, read 377,856 times
Default Pretty Good, except

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

or

Westminster and Alhambra

or

or

or

Laguna Beach and Malibu

or

or

Yorba Linda and Valencia

Pretty good, except for the Yorba Linda vs Valencia. Yorba Linda is wealthier, and isn't surrounded by such undesirable neighborhoods. The weather in Yorba Linda is also far superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California