Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 AM

7 posts, read 109,435 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from the Bay Area (specifically San Jose) to Stockton and it's hard to get definite or recent answers. I'm a paranoid, easily nervous person, so don't do well with feeling uncomfortable, intimidated, or unsafe wherever my home is. I've heard enough about Stockton's crime and danger levels, what with being on the FBI's Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the US list, but I don't want to jump too far to conclusions given the Bay Area has its crime, too (though it doesn't even appear on top 100 lists). So here are my questions:

- What areas in Stockton are the safest to live in? Any specific neighborhoods or even streets?

- Sorry if it's ridiculous to ask, but are there racial tensions, such as African Americans living amongst Caucasians or vice versa, etc. in Stockton, or maybe in certain areas?

- Are there good ways to prevent the type(s) of crime that Stockton gets its reputation for from happening to you, whatever the crime may be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
If you're nervous about crime and living in a less than safe area why the hell would you choose Stockton of all places to live?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 AM

7 posts, read 109,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
If you're nervous about crime and living in a less than safe area why the hell would you choose Stockton of all places to live?
Unfortunately it was the only place closest to the Bay Area that I could reasonably afford. I know there's good reason for that, but it was more of a take what you can get sort of deal.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM

153 posts, read 269,903 times
What about Vallejo?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Rio Vista was pretty nice years ago. Maybe it still is. Rio Vista, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM

103 posts, read 274,237 times
I live in Stockton right now and I think I can help you out with your question. You want to live out north or on the north side of town, of course. Like country club area, off of pershing, march lane, and off the pacific avenue, these areas are all pretty decent. Some parts going down town and off california street are good too, it just depends. I will say that crime has gotten to where it really doesn't matter where you live in town but its not murders everyday here. A lot of the crime is petty like busted windows or something taken out of your yard but thats not frequently happening. Most of the murders are gang related so if your not a gang banger you should be okay. There really isn't racial tensions of any that I see, I mean it can get annoying if you see someone doing something that makes you look bad(smoking weed in public). Stockton's hired a lot of police which is alittle comfort because last year it was like the wild west here. I just go to work, go to places I frequent normally and come home. Stay away from the deep south or south side, don't stay down town and don't roam around late at night. I grew up here and i'm still alive so I must be doing something right but I also keep to myself. Also don't wear gold in public or any flashy jewelry, lock your car always and keep an eye on your surroundings.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A girl from Stockton,CA View Post
I live in Stockton right now and I think I can help you out with your question. You want to live out north or on the north side of town, of course. Like country club area, off of pershing, march lane, and off the pacific avenue, these areas are all pretty decent.
I agree with this. The north and northwest areas of Stockton along I-5 and Ben Holt Dr., March Lane and Country Club Blvd. are nice. The Univ. of the Pacific and San Joaquin Delta College are in this area.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,977 times
Have you considered Lodi? It's near Stockton. I personally haven't been there but it looks like a decent city; good sized and has a downtown. Saw a good amount of commerical stuff; so most of your daily necessities will be in town. I google mapped it and parts look very liveable. From what I've read, the lesser part of town is separated by train tracks. If for whatever reason I was moving to San Joaquin County, I'd definitely check Lodi out. From posts here in C-D, Lodi seems to have a fine reputation.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Linden. Short commute, country living.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A girl from Stockton,CA View Post
I live in Stockton right now and I think I can help you out with your question. You want to live out north or on the north side of town, of course. Like country club area, off of pershing, march lane, and off the pacific avenue, these areas are all pretty decent. Some parts going down town and off california street are good too, it just depends. I will say that crime has gotten to where it really doesn't matter where you live in town but its not murders everyday here. A lot of the crime is petty like busted windows or something taken out of your yard but thats not frequently happening. Most of the murders are gang related so if your not a gang banger you should be okay. There really isn't racial tensions of any that I see, I mean it can get annoying if you see someone doing something that makes you look bad(smoking weed in public). Stockton's hired a lot of police which is alittle comfort because last year it was like the wild west here. I just go to work, go to places I frequent normally and come home. Stay away from the deep south or south side, don't stay down town and don't roam around late at night. I grew up here and i'm still alive so I must be doing something right but I also keep to myself. Also don't wear gold in public or any flashy jewelry, lock your car always and keep an eye on your surroundings.
WTF?

Country Club and California Street?

They're not the absolute worst areas... well, California Street is close. Country Club ranges from lower-class to working-class. The close to UOP (Pacific) and the farther away from Country Club Dr the better it is. There's a little pocket of Country Club (North of Alpine, East of Telegraph) that's even middle-class and it deteriorates pretty quickly from there. The area just south of UOP (east of Pacific Avenue/Country Club) is gorgeous, but it's not the safest neighborhood, bad schools. But that income bracket most of the school-aged kids are going to St. Mary's anyway.

Safest neighborhoods are Brookside (the part north of March, south along Brookside Dr it's crap), Lincoln Village West, Spanos, Morada.

For the most part, it's pretty easy to tell. If it's run down and everyone has chain link fences (ala most of South Stockton, probably not the greatest neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California