Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,685 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I haven't been able to find much updated information on Stockton CA. I have heard years ago that it was very crime ridden and they faced many issues regarding murders, assaults, theft, etc.

I was offered a new job and my territory would be Lodi, Morada and North Stockton. I have heard good things about Lodi, and I would live in Lodi or north of Lodi, (Elk Grove). My only concern is Stockton due to the things I have read on forums and such, but those posts were 6-8 years ago. Has crime began to decrease in Stockton over the years or is it still a major issue? If so, what areas should I try to avoid?

Thank you all in advance for your help and information.

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,685 times
Default Info needed on Stockton CA

Hello all,

I know this thread is for Sacramento, however there is nothing for Stockton so I decided to post here. I haven't been able to find much updated information on Stockton CA. I have heard years ago that it was very crime ridden and they faced many issues regarding murders, assaults, theft, etc.

I was offered a new job and my territory would be Lodi, Morada and North Stockton. I have heard good things about Lodi, and I would live in Lodi or north of Lodi, (Elk Grove). I do not have kids as of yet, therefore not too concerned with being surrounding by great schools. My major concern is Stockton due to the things I have read on forums and such, but those posts were 6-8 years ago. Has crime began to decrease in Stockton over the years or is it still a major issue? If so, what areas should I try to avoid?

Thank you all in advance for your help and information.

Nick

Old 09-30-2018, 03:41 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Lodi is good. Stockton not so much. Working in Stockton is fine, but as a place to live, no. Look to Lodi. Things have improved in Stockton, but I wouldn’t suggest it as a place to live. CA has few places that are bad. Many OK places. Many wonderful places. Stockton and Fresno oh, and Barstow are the worst of the bad places

Old 09-30-2018, 06:06 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,994,903 times
I would never live in Stockton and it has nothing to do with it being a "bad place". I'm sure Stockton has nice neighborhoods.
If a 200 year flood hits California then Stockton is done. California is due for one, it could happen any year.
I'd live near Modesto and commute to Stockton.
Modesto area is much less of a flood risk than Stockton is.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:18 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
You might want to post in the San Francisco Bay Area thread as Stockton and San Joaquin County are actually officially part of the Bay Area CSA.

The City of Elk Grove is a very nice community. Large, suburban, and spread-out but very nice. Elk Grove (EG) is in Sacramento County and Lodi is in San Joaquin County. EG and Lodi are 22 miles apart. EG and Stockton are 36 miles apart.

It seems Stockton and San Joaquin County are becoming less and less part of Sacramento. Stockton is 51 miles south of Sacramento.

The main thing that connects Sacramento and Stockton is the news-television stations. Stockton-Lodi has always been part of the Sacramento Media Market and all those TV stations are based in Sacramento. Traditionally and currently Sacramento TV-News stations cover Stockton so much better than Bay Area stations.

The amount of commuters from Stockton to Bay Area is 4 times greater than commuter from Stockton to Sacramento.

Elk Grove is rated very high as "Best Places to Raise a Family" in California which means lower crime, good schools, lots of nice parks, nice community centers, healthy property values.

I like Lodi especially the Woodbridge area.

Elk Grove #12

Lodi #116
Sacramento #126

San Francisco #212
Stockton #225

Sorry I don't know how much Stockton has improved, but I hear it has.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
I pm'd the op about the crime in stockton. But i agree with the above post. South elk grove is very nice and the commute to north stockton is doable...mainly due to the reverse commute.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:47 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Alex Spanos, a multi-millionaire who owns the LA Chargers, lives in Stockton. He could afford to live anywhere, but lives in Stockton. The west side of Stockton on either side of I-5 is a nice area to live. The downtown area is sketchy and I would avoid it.

A lot of people on C-D give opinions on places they've never been to. They may have driven through on their way to someplace else. Some are just repeating what others have said while others have a bias towards coastal California and think anywhere in the Central Valley is not worth living in. No, I don't live in Stockton or in the Central Valley.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Alex Spanos, a multi-millionaire who owns the LA Chargers, lives in Stockton. He could afford to live anywhere, but lives in Stockton. The west side of Stockton on either side of I-5 is a nice area to live. The downtown area is sketchy and I would avoid it.

A lot of people on C-D give opinions on places they've never been to. They may have driven through on their way to someplace else. Some are just repeating what others have said while others have a bias towards coastal California and think anywhere in the Central Valley is not worth living in. No, I don't live in Stockton or in the Central Valley.
Spanos was born in Stockton, which probably has something to do with why he lives there.

The post on flood zones was rather spot-on (a reason not to buy there) - it IS smack dab ON the San Joaquin river, which runs through town. I looked at flood zones and soil zones (earthquake info) before buying any of my houses.

No, I don't live in Stockton or in the Central Valley.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:50 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Spanos was born in Stockton, which probably has something to do with why he lives there.

The post on flood zones was rather spot-on (a reason not to buy there) - it IS smack dab ON the San Joaquin river, which runs through town. I looked at flood zones and soil zones (earthquake info) before buying any of my houses.

No, I don't live in Stockton or in the Central Valley.
Spanos was born there but he could live ANYWHERE he wants and according to most everybody on C-D, there are better places to live then Stockton.

When was the last time Stockton had a flood? Sacramento is smack dab ON the Sacramento and American Rivers, which runs through town. When was the last flood there?

Old 10-01-2018, 05:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Sacramento is smack dab ON the Sacramento and American Rivers, which runs through town. When was the last flood there?
According to Google search , KCRA (local TV) says there was flooding around Jan 4-5, 2016. And late March 2018, "gooddaysacramento" mentioned flooding in Sac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California