Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Yes, like those lovely JC Decaux toilets, which look nice from the outside but are so nasty inside that even some homeless refuse to use them.

Sex, drugs and filth plague city-sponsored public restrooms | San Francisco Public Press
I didn't post that either. Did I screw up and post in another language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
This bill does nothing to solve any crisis. It's the equivalent of giving an injured person heroin instead of operating on him. It makes his life more pleasant while failing to address the root cause.
Question. Have you even been homeless?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
What utter, unadulterated hogwash. Nonsense. Those 25,000 new lawyers a year looking for work? They're new to a complex profession (that you clearly know nothing about) and haven't the slightest experience nor resources to file tort claims as you suggest. Go get yourself an education about civil and criminal law before you post crap like this. Learn something about responsibilities of mitigation and the proof of harm sustained. Find out the time it takes and what it costs to run a lawsuit or even create a case to take to mediation.

Unbelievable. Bash the homeless. Bash lawyers. All in the same post.

This proposed legislation is about addressing our cultural mandate for social responsibility. If you can think of better ways to do it, create a proposal.
Do you mean to say my JD from a top ten Law school and 25 years of experience in sophisticated business litigation in 11 States is insufficient? Where else should I go to get this education you think I need? I cannot really go back to law school as a student, They are asking me to come and teach.

Of course, I did not say those 25,000 new lawyers a year are behind the bill, they certainly are not. I just said we need to employ them and keep them off the streets. (Actually that was a touch of sarcasm - a big word, but you can look it up on Google).

However this bill clearly smells of a lawyer backed bill. Not all lawyers are like this, but there are thousands who are. And those thousands have been very successful getting bills like this passed and then exploiting them. They have done very well with laws purportedly protecting handicapped people. They turned it into a cottage industry for unscrupulous lawyers and it provided no benefit to handicapped people at all (in fact it was damaging to the cause of handicapped rights because it turned public opinion sour).

One thing this bill is clearly NOT, is a bill to help or protect homeless people. Go ask twenty homeless people whether they give one hoot whether this bill passes or does not pass. They do not care. As I said the ones who pee on the sidewalks now will continue peeing on the sidewalks illegal or not, and the ones who do not pee on the sidewalks (which incidentally includes the majority of the homeless people I know) are not going to start peeing on the sidewalks just because someone makes it legal for them to do so.

This bill is to serve someone else' purposes. Whether to make them feel better or allow them to make money, or some other purpose is not entirely clear, however my bet is on lawyers trying to make money suing public entities.

And no. I do not bash the homeless, actually I serve them food, help make and distribute sleeping mats for them, assist with buying, storing and transporting army surplus supplies to provide for them, donated tens of thousands of dollars to shelters for them, sit down and talk with them and occasionally take them to lunch. Do you? Have you ever even met a homeless person and gotten to know them?

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-24-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do you mean to say my JD from a top ten Law school and 25 years of experience in sophisticated business litigation in 11 States is insufficient? Where else should I go to get this education you think I need? I cannot really go back to law school as a student, They are asking me to come and teach.

Of course, I did not say those 25,000 new lawyers a year are behind the bill, they certainly are not. I just said we need to employ them and keep them off the streets. (Actually that was a touch of sarcasm - a big word, but you can look it up on Google).

However this bill clearly smells of a lawyer backed bill. Not all lawyers are like this, but there are thousands who are. And those thousands have been very successful getting bills like this passed and then exploiting them. They have done very well with laws purportedly protecting handicapped people. They turned it into a cottage industry for unscrupulous lawyers and it provided no benefit to handicapped people at all (in fact it was damaging to the cause of handicapped rights because it turned public opinion sour).

One thing this bill is clearly NOT, is a bill to help or protect homeless people. Go ask twenty homeless people whether they give one hoot whether this bill passes or does not pass. They do not care. As I said the ones who pee on the sidewalks now will continue peeing on the sidewalks illegal or not, and the ones who do not pee on the sidewalks (which incidentally includes the majority of the homeless people I know) are not going to start peeing on the sidewalks just because someone makes it legal for them to do so.

This bill is to serve someone else' purposes. Whether to make them feel better or allow them to make money, or some other purpose is not entirely clear, however my bet is on lawyers trying to make money suing public entities.

And no. I do not bash the homeless, actually I serve them food, help make and distribute sleeping mats for them, assist with buying, storing and transporting army surplus supplies to provide for them, donated tens of thousands of dollars to shelters for them, sit down and talk with them and occasionally take them to lunch. Do you? Have you ever even met a homeless person and gotten to know them?
Now this got really interesting. You claim a JD (and from a "top ten"! whoa!) and 25 years of business litigation experience -- yet claim also that the homeless bill we are discussing is a scam platform for attorneys and / or has been pushed by attorneys looking for revenue. Now I am very interested to hear from you what kind of money attorneys think they can squeeze out of a homeless claim against the city. What are the damages and the root of the damages? What kind of documentation do you think the attorneys are going to get from the damaged party? Obviously all contingency-based fees, since the homeless are also penniless. So what lawyer / firm is going to put up the costs and time to work on the undocumented damages suffered by a homeless guy who couldn't find a place to pee?

Do tell.

Me and the homeless? I live in a van (and on a boat part of the year). I have properties, money, and resources and live as I do by choice. I am a disabled war veteran -- and yeppers, I work with homeless vets and other disabled persons, among other volunteer efforts. I help them with medical, legal, and personal challenges. I find them housing and resources and assist them in obtaining pensions if qualified. Direct them to training. And often just sit and chat with those who don't wish to re-integrate. For the past years of the national financial crunch, I have been donating half my rentals to the disadvantaged -- including vets and non-vets, with families. The rents I collect on the other units pay the expenses of the properties. I live on my little pension happily because I am a minimalist.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:56 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Capitol Alert: Updated homeless 'bill of rights' passes CA legislative committee

Our wonderful Sacramento legislators are now attempting to denigrate the state even more by making it a haven for sh*t bums.
My personal opinion is that the only thing the citizens of the state owe the bums is a free ride to the state line.
Kalifornia would be a much better place to live if we had more stringent laws against loitering, panhandling, and vagrancy.
Enabling people to live in a state of drunken, drugged, filth and degradation in public places not only is detrimental to the people doing it, but to the entire society.
If we truly want to help them, we can hire the sane ones to clean up our parks and streets. This would save the government money because we wouldn't be paying union wages and pensions. I have no problem with homeless people. I try to help out when I can with food only. However, if they are on drugs, drunk, disorderly, pooping in the street, screaming obscenities, camping in front of someone's home or business, they should go to a low level prison for their own sake and society's sake.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Well

1. If I posted a picture of my JD certificate and admissions certificates or my AV rating (look it up), you would dispute it anyway and I have been told not to feed trolls. (I actually took a picture then decided I have no need to play games with someone who is just trying to be silly and argumentative).

2. I could explain to you how they can make money from this, but it is long and complicated and it is very clear to me that you cannot understand it since you have difficulty competently reading posts without inserting statements that were not made. Plus I really do not feel like writing that all out, especially for someone who is being nasty. If you really want an explanation, I will prepare it for you for $5500. Since you have property and money and resources, that should not be a problem for you. I will even throw in an hour of time for further explanation from the associate I assign to look up the necessary statutes and case law.

3. Sorry, I just do not believe your assertions regarding involvement with the homeless, especially given the fact that you really do not understand the mindset typical of homeless people, have no understanding of law and legal processes, and, looking at a few previous posts have an issue with exaggeration and/or overstating things. Further, you are apparently unable to comprehend how this bill does nothing whatsoever to help homeless people and the fact they will not care about it one whit.

4. Unless you want to send a certified check, I am done with you. Sorry but there are plenty of CD members who can think and converse in an adult manner without the need to try to attack people constantly. I will stick to responding to them.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Question. Have you even been homeless?
No, I haven't.

I've never had children either; does that disqualify me from having any sort of opinion on childcare or education?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default The bum's bill of rights

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Capitol Alert: Updated homeless 'bill of rights' passes CA legislative committee

Our wonderful Sacramento legislators are now attempting to denigrate the state even more by making it a haven for sh*t bums.
My personal opinion is that the only thing the citizens of the state owe the bums is a free ride to the state line.
Kalifornia would be a much better place to live if we had more stringent laws against loitering, panhandling, and vagrancy.
Enabling people to live in a state of drunken, drugged, filth and degradation in public places not only is detrimental to the people doing it, but to the entire society.
California Democrat's are never going to vote this into Law , the homeless need homeless encampments to live in along with soup kitchens any maybe a monthly transit pass , but not the ability to destroy all of the hard work put into building and protecting and fighting for if necessary a beautiful structured functional society such as America is today.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
No, I haven't.

I've never had children either; does that disqualify me from having any sort of opinion on childcare or education?
I don't have children either so I cannot answer your second question. As far as the first, everything you say to me from this point is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. If you haven't walked a mile in those shoes I can tell you from experience that you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Well

1. If I posted a picture of my JD certificate and admissions certificates or my AV rating (look it up), you would dispute it anyway and I have been told not to feed trolls. (I actually took a picture then decided I have no need to play games with someone who is just trying to be silly and argumentative).

2. I could explain to you how they can make money from this, but it is long and complicated and it is very clear to me that you cannot understand it since you have difficulty competently reading posts without inserting statements that were not made. Plus I really do not feel like writing that all out, especially for someone who is being nasty. If you really want an explanation, I will prepare it for you for $5500. Since you have property and money and resources, that should not be a problem for you. I will even throw in an hour of time for further explanation from the associate I assign to look up the necessary statutes and case law.

3. Sorry, I just do not believe your assertions regarding involvement with the homeless, especially given the fact that you really do not understand the mindset typical of homeless people, have no understanding of law and legal processes, and, looking at a few previous posts have an issue with exaggeration and/or overstating things. Further, you are apparently unable to comprehend how this bill does nothing whatsoever to help homeless people and the fact they will not care about it one whit.

4. Unless you want to send a certified check, I am done with you. Sorry but there are plenty of CD members who can think and converse in an adult manner without the need to try to attack people constantly. I will stick to responding to them.
I'm not trying a bit to be "silly and argumentative". Not a speck. And I'm not being a bit nastier than you are in deprecating the legal profession. I think your accusation of attorney conspiracy in promoting this bill is [outrageously] laughable. As for your offer to prepare me a prospectus for $5500, why would I want to pay you for fiction?

Funny that, coincidentally, I just fielded a call from another attorney with whom I have worked on a number of veteran's and other issues. He and I are both Vietnam combat veterans and donate a lot of pro bono time. We are currently involved in four cases, two with homeless veteran's, one a disabled woman, and one very sizable tort for a pretty disastrous personal injury accident coming to mediation in about 10 days. When we concluded business I asked him if he could think of any ways we could sue governments on behalf of the homeless. He laughed. And asked me what the hell I was talking about. I explained the bill and your position that it was lawyer-backed. He laughed his ass off.

What don't I understand about law and legal processes? What are my exaggerations / overstatements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California