Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I've lived in San Francisco for 4 years, and I see homeless people every day.
As far as I needed to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
$40K is more than a lot of people with jobs earn in a year. What city/county services should be set aside to provide each homeless person with $40K worth of benefits?
Welcome back, Chief. And a good, legitimate question. I do not think that the problem needs necessarily to cost this estimated average. But it does. Probably due to the typical toxic mix of government inefficiency coupled with fighting public perceptions - which latter always mires every attempt at solution in deep political caa-caa-poo.

As you in particular know, it costs roughly $47K annually to house and care for prison inmates. Obviously the homeless do not require that level of care, service, and security ... especially when many of the homeless are actually employed.

So, go figure. Fighting perception here as much as anything. It needs to be accepted as a cost to society -- one cheaper to serve than to suffer.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM

Nullgeo and Curmudgeon. Things are good now

Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Nullgeo and Curmudgeon. Things are good now
Inching forward to normalcy?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Inching forward to normalcy?
That's scary. Back on subject, the inmates also receive comparitively cadillac health care, dental, etc. I wold much rather it go to those in need than those who drive others to need.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
That's scary. Back on subject, the inmates also receive comparitively cadillac health care, dental, etc. I wold much rather it go to those in need than those who drive others to need.
Prison inmates. Tough subject. A lot of bad acts there. Yet also a lot of hapless dorks too. Then there are a whole bunch in for stupid offenses along drug lines that shouldn't even be criminalized. Hard to parse it all out. But they sure do get the care! Even though the life they lead is dismal.

Yep, there's women, some with some kids, finding themselves out on the street because husband fell out of work and can't get back in the game ... or just abandoned. Where's their Cadillac care? We don't allow inhumane treatment in prison ... but out on the street? Sure.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
^this

Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Prison inmates. Tough subject. A lot of bad acts there. Yet also a lot of hapless dorks too. Then there are a whole bunch in for stupid offenses along drug lines that shouldn't even be criminalized. Hard to parse it all out. But they sure do get the care! Even though the life they lead is dismal.

Yep, there's women, some with some kids, finding themselves out on the street because husband fell out of work and can't get back in the game ... or just abandoned. Where's their Cadillac care? We don't allow inhumane treatment in prison ... but out on the street? Sure.
Precisely! I think our prorities are horribly skewed. As for the inmates, CA has a bunch of prisons and they're still overcrowded. While I have no love for people who willfully break the law and have put my fair share behind bars, I really think the prisons should be reserved for those who prey on others. The hapless dorks who commit victimless crimes - well, prison just churns them back out the gate far worse and more criminally sophisticated than they were when they went in. There has to be a better and more equitable way.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Precisely! I think our prorities are horribly skewed. As for the inmates, CA has a bunch of prisons and they're still overcrowded. While I have no love for people who willfully break the law and have put my fair share behind bars, I really think the prisons should be reserved for those who prey on others. The hapless dorks who commit victimless crimes - well, prison just churns them back out the gate far worse and more criminally sophisticated than they were when they went in. There has to be a better and more equitable way.
So glad I could rep you again. This is the type of stuff most people don't think of.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:

+1 for you too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California