Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM

536 posts, read 572,846 times

Advertisements

The press is investigating now, aren't they?

With such fine journalism though, hehe.

Quote:

In the end, the state placed far more weight on price than the technical
evaluation, which is contrary to the best practices suggested by some
construction industry groups.

The Design Build Institute of America advises public agencies to put greater
emphasis on technical merit to avoid later problems on a project.
So, some of the construction industry groups don't recommend what the reporter has indicated.

For the record, I think that cheapest isn't always best as well. But the state can set their criteria.

I still don't see any connection to Senator Feinstein. Your article doesn't even mention her husband at all.

The attorney general would typically need probable cause. And your article you present doesn't establish any connection to Senator Feinstein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,908,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
The press is investigating now, aren't they?
I do not know. If someone can post a link that someone has looked at this and found nothing wrong [1], then I'm OK with it and I wish Feinstein's husband all the luck in building HSR.

[1] (assuming they post a link to the organization (press or state) which did it so I can read it for myself).

Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 PM

Well, you posted a story from the LA Times, doesn't that at least imply an investigation is taking place by the press, the LA Times at least? And there's other stories on the web if you google.

People are typically considered innocent until proven guilty, however. They have no need to prove their innocence. The burden is on those alleging misconduct.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,885,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
If you would have read the linked article, it stated that the bidding criteria was altered so that Feinstein husband's business went from eliminated almost last place to first place. And the HSR board gave no reason for why they changed the criteria. And now the bid is way more based solely on cost rather than experience with building a high speed rail, which I assume HSR has unique engineering issues where someone with experience would be able to address in a more cost efficient manner. Does this raise any red flags for anyone else in this state but me?
No, the bid criteria wasn't altered "so that Feinstein husband's business went from eliminated almost last place to first place" ... it was structured to eliminate players who couldn't possibly play ... you think that was nefarious ... but there isn't the slightest evidence of that ... these projects can't be undertaken by Joe Blow's Handyman Services, right? Where's any legitimate competitor's protest? If some other bidder protests, they have to present evidence -- where is it? Only protests so far are from the conspiracy theorists.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Well, you posted a story from the LA Times, doesn't that at least imply an investigation is taking place by the press, the LA Times at least? And there's other stories on the web if you google.
Um the article raised the question of impropriety, it did not answer it. That in of itself is not an investigation into this particular matter.

Quote:
People are typically considered innocent until proven guilty, however. They have no need to prove their innocence. The burden is on those alleging misconduct.
So you are saying this matter should not even be looked at to confirm things are on the up-and-up?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,885,951 times
Quote:
Um the article raised the question of impropriety, it did not answer it. That in of itself is not an investigation into this particular matter.

So you are saying this matter should not even be looked at to confirm things are on the up-and-up?
If things aren't "on the up and up" an injured party will step forward to holler foul ... anything yet?
I hear lots of "Foul Foul Foul!" but not from any injured party.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 PM

Well I guess there is a pool of posters who believe "there's nothing to see here folks, move along", and then there's me. In the end, if nobody out there bothers to look into this, overall this thread doesn't matter then anyways, right?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 PM

I believe it is being looked at by the press at this time.

Or else the LA Times has the worst reporters, who drop leads after reporting something they should chase down. You tell me, they are your source.

Do you think the Times report was just a one-off hatchet piece?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
If things aren't "on the up and up" an injured party will step forward to holler foul ... anything yet?
I hear lots of "Foul Foul Foul!" but not from any injured party.
The only injured party here is the California taxpayer. <sarcasm> Good luck getting the majority of them to cry foul, let alone even care. </sarcasm>

Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
The only injured party here is the California taxpayer. <sarcasm> Good luck getting the majority of them to cry foul, let alone even care. </sarcasm>
Well, if Feinstein leaned on the state somehow I'd expect a whistleblower to come forward actually. They get huge rewards nowadays, a percentage of the dollars saved or somesuch.

Surely the state agency would have an interest in keeping their affairs free of such mischief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California