Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Just wondering who you have for car insurance and if you're happy with them?

Also does anyone know if a company has a temporary driver insurance waiver?
We're going on a road trip and it's likely that my 21 year old son (who doesn't live with us) will be taking over the driving once in a while.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM

536 posts, read 573,425 times
Unless you buy the base standard policy most policies allow for permissive drivers in the broad coverage forms.

If you have a link I can read your policy and see what you've got, or just call your agent, he can tell ya.

I have USAA personally, good price with good claims service. But you have to have a military connection to buy them.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
USAA here as well and for the past 48 years, including all the driving years in CA.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
If you can't get USAA, I'd venture that Amica is pretty good.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
This topic sounds so funny! Like CA drivers are in a class by themselves, and require special insurance.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This topic sounds so funny! Like CA drivers are in a class by themselves, and require special insurance.
They are. They do. It's the herb and some reference to nuts.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM

You people should drop in on NM sometime, if you want to see wild driving! Highest rate of DWI in the US, for one thing, and that doesn't even begin to describe it! People here have bumper stickers that say: "Visualize turn signal use". Do people in CA use their turn signals?

Actually, I've found one of the highest-risk areas to be store parking lots.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You people should drop in on NM sometime, if you want to see wild driving! Highest rate of DWI in the US, for one thing, and that doesn't even begin to describe it! People here have bumper stickers that say: "Visualize turn signal use". Do people in CA use their turn signals?

Actually, I've found one of the highest-risk areas to be store parking lots.
Some do and some don't haha.

California rolling stops, infrequent turn signal use, no look lane changes, wrong way down 1 ways, see it all, haha.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:07 PM

OK, we don't have Calif. rolling stops here (except mine ), but lots of sudden slowdowns, no signal, then veering off into a side street. That's usually the sign of a tourist looking for an unfamiliar address, but locals do it, too.
Lots of people who don't pay attention when you're way up ahead of them and signaling to move into their lane, then suddenly when they're tailgating you, they start honking at you, as if you cut them off, even though they were way way back when you first signaled and made your move. Lots of no look lane changes. Lots of barreling into parking lots without looking, because if they hit someone who's pulling out, the law says it's the fault of the person pulling out, no matter what. People drive recklessly in parking lots.

Lots of people here are afraid to make a turn, unless there's a dedicated turn signal telling them to go. Afraid to make a legal right turn on red. Afraid to make a left turn on green, unless the little green turn arrow is on. So traffic gets backed way up.

I don't have hardly any experience driving in CA, so I'll give the thread back to you guys. My point was, though, that if there's a special insurance policy for CA drivers, NM drivers should probably get in on it, too.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM

There's not really a special insurance policy for the most parts. The insurance rates are where it's at.

Some companies write their own policies, some use standard ISO forms. Just depends on the company.

I'd have to think that much of what you describe is nationwide though. Maybe a bit worse here, I've not looked at claims rates. But by our underwriting rates, I'd hazard a guess we're nearer bottom than top for good drivers overall, haha. Job security...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California